GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 04:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upside Down Line Setup  (Read 8156 times)
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 05:51 PM »

There might be a correlation between tendency to fly inverted more and having heavy brakes on a Rev. With heavy brakes, upright hovers are actually pretty difficult especially if the wind isn't stiff enough. Inverted hovers are actually much easier. The heavier the brakes, the harder it is to maintian an upright hover, especially close to the ground if the wind isn't strong enough.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 05:54 PM »

Tell you what...I plan on going out tomorrow. I 'll switch the lines and report back. It will be tough to have to think again Wink

Say Good Night Dick
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 06:28 PM »

If I went to the trouble of inverting the top and bottom lines to take out the twists in each pair, I'd also swap handles into the opposite hands so the pairs aren't crossed either.

I spend half the time with the leading edge vertical or the kite rotated a revolution, so nothing much would be gained. No matter what one does, one needs to find neutral for up/down and side/side then adjust the pigtails so the wrists are in a comfortable position.

I do like your "out of the box" thinking. That's how a "weird" idea becomes the next "why didn't I think of that" idea.

I liked the look of the holey venting concept with the smaller holes. My estimate of the hole area was 38% of the total sail. However, for the estimate of number of holes, I used to big of a hole. That could be said about several of my body orifices too.

If the "prototype" isn't flying well as a vented with 5500 holes, it may need slighlty larger holes or another couple thouand holes. My guess is that slighly larger holes would reduce drag (or whatever force) faster than adding more small holes, for the same amount of material removed.

If there is a race to see who is the most anal, I must be in medal contention and closing in on the gold.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 06:51 PM »

I guess I wasn't clear or totally accurate.

With the Rev upside-down, all 4 lines would basically go straight ahead. You were correct, if I just did top/bottom switch, there would still be a side to side cross-over.

Thanks for the excellent clarification. That was my intention, but I didn't propose it correctly.

On the other note, yes, larger holes (1/4" - 3/8") would probably be in the right ballpark. Might even need less holes at those larger sizes.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Watty
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 08:13 PM »

I am one that flies a LOT inverted... in fact, an inverted hover is the most comfortable place to sit for me. I think this is mostly because of my heavy breaks like lasapcheong mentioned. I have actually tried swapping the top and bottom lines on the handles just because I was kind of bored...... Frankly, it didn't end well. With my hands on the foam of the handles, It was difficult to get good leverage on the break lines to let it fly inverted. Plus, it felt strange O_o.

Also, there is really not a whole lot of friction going on between the lines when flying inverted to really worry about it. Most of the time, the lines don't even touch, and if they do, it is only slightly. If one is worried about wearing down one's lines, one might as well try spinning the handles while making the kite do a cartwheel.

tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 10:51 PM »

One time I put the wing of a r/c glider on upside down so I could fly the glider easier inverted. Smiley
kitelover

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 08:09 AM »

John,  If we made wheels square, we might not need parking brakes on cars. Hmm, just a thought. Or is it?
Seriously though, it took sooo many hours before that inverted/crossed lines thing became second nature, I'm really having a problem with your idea. Step away from the Rev. buddy.
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 09:37 AM »

Well then, we just start teaching new fliers with the upside down setup. They won't know it's not normal. And they will ultimately have the upside down hover without lines crossed experience.

BTW, kitelover, I don't fly Revs too often (maybe once a month). Just like to give the Rev fliers food for thought. Remember, the more lines attached to your kite, the more of an anal retentive control freak you are (and I say that with love  Kiss).

kiten00b
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 09:44 AM »

if crossed lines is such an issue, why don't you fly with a control bar that you can twirl like a baton as your lines wrap?
as long as you're using modern kite lines and not string from the hardware store, a few twists in the line has a negligible  effect on flying
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 09:56 AM »

Remember, the more lines attached to your kite, the more of an anal retentive control freak you are (and I say that with love  Kiss).
Could we add the caveat that on a fixed bridle foil, the additional control lines are also a survival tool?  They're the "Whoa Ponies" lines.

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:59 AM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Watty

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 10:03 AM »

Well then, we just start teaching new fliers with the upside down setup. They won't know it's not normal. And they will ultimately have the upside down hover without lines crossed experience.

BTW, kitelover, I don't fly Revs too often (maybe once a month). Just like to give the Rev fliers food for thought. Remember, the more lines attached to your kite, the more of an anal retentive control freak you are (and I say that with love  Kiss).
Well, it isn't just the fact that it is out of our comfort zone. The switching of top and bottom lines causes the reverse to not have the precise control that it normally has. It seems to be more prone to being over-controlled. This is, if you are holding the handles correctly (hands on foam).

Dano

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 11:23 AM »

Remember, the more lines attached to your kite, the more of an anal retentive control freak you are.

You've just confirmed it, and i'm sticking with my original reply...

You're Funny!  Cheesy

Thanks John
tonycarl60

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 02:21 PM »

Buy a Benson Airbow, symmetrical kite and handles Smiley
Watty

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 05:33 PM »

I went out and played with this a bit more today. With this setup, when inverted there were no twists in the lines. I was able to hold a somewhat stable inverted hover. However, I noticed that there was a LOT of tension on what are usually the break lines. This made my hands get tired much faster than normal. I could not relax as much as normal.

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 06:04 PM »

Maybe the handles would have to be redesigned for the upside down "normal" orientation.

Did you try the long part of the handles on top, foam on bottom?

By the way, thanks for taking a look at this. I value your inputs.  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document