GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 10:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do u modify the weight in your kite ?  (Read 3325 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: May 07, 2009, 12:51 PM »

Do u modify the weight in your kite to improve its pitching/spinning abilities ?
How do you tell you have achieved perfect weight in your kite ?

What other tricks that you can do to achieve the perfect balance in a kite ?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:00 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
kevspilly
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:44 PM »

Don't be afraid to experiment though!

Soft solder and insulation tape is a quick way to add & remove weight
espically to nose, tail & wing tips. 
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 02:10 PM »

try putting some velcro on a nickel and  velcro it into the bottom near the spine, it's about 5grams

warranty? did the machines come with one?

Sine Metu!
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 03:28 PM »

I'm with you on the velcro.  My favorite weight for a QP std is two quarters CA'd together with some velcro attached.  I put them right at the spine.  That weight set is a mess...
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 03:58 PM »

Dave,
It's a federal offense to deface the dollar isn't it?

Or is that some thought from my demented past?

Hot glue would work and would clean up better Grin

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:59 PM »

I tried different weight on all my kites except the Talon's. I never touched a thing on them. Smiley

The new Frank!
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 04:17 PM »

I knew the following skills quite well now:
Backspin, backspin cascade
Multi-lazies
Yoyo
Axel

Is it enough 'moves' to find out the perfect weight setting ? I know more are better but I'm quite new at this sport.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 04:19 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
DaveH
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 04:51 PM »

Dave,

I didn't deface the doller, just a quarter Cheesy
and besides, I don't use much glue.  I can pop them apart by hand and grab a coke if i get thirsty Cool  Funny, I've actually done that.....

So yeah, there is a bit of a gap in the velcro on the spine of that kite and a couple of quarters tend to slip around and fall out.  So a touch of glue just kind of keeps things in place.  For more permanent weight I use brass slip on weights adn secure them with packing tape.  Actually holds for a long time and easy to adjust.  I use the stock weight kit too, just on the vented, because it can handle all the extra weight of the Armature, etc.
Sorry if I strayed a bit off topic....
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 04:54 PM by DaveH » Logged
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 05:02 PM »

Dave,

I didn't deface the doller, just a quarter Cheesy
and besides, I don't use much glue.  I can pop them apart by hand and grab a coke if i get thirsty Cool  Funny, I've actually done that.....

To stray a bit further...............................There is apparently a group or, maybe just one individual, of people where I work that, systematically shoot ca glue into the coin slots on the vending machines.  It really fouls up the works...................
Odd too,....................there are two security cameras pointed from either direction that can capture everything that happens in that corridor on a twenty four hour basis.  Been there six years........they've yet to apprehend the culprit(s) Shocked

Back to the reguarly scheduled programming.............sorry for the Vector Wink 

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 08:58 PM »

Do u modify the weight in your kite to improve its pitching/spinning abilities ?
Yes, on occasion. I don't make a habit of it though. I've always recoiled from adding weight. It offends my engineer sensibilities.

Angelic choir during Backspins.

Pretty much everything has been tried. Stuffing the US with another spar can help on some kites (Fury comes like that), tip weights, sliding spine weights, nose weights (for the love of....). All of them "work", for a given value of "work".

Seriously small amounts of weight can completely change how a kite flies. I had serious difficulties getting the Yoyos I liked out of a Next Team LW so I added 3g. to the tail. It was probably too much. I went back and learnt how to fly the kite a bit better and took the weight off again.

It is amazing how much better a kite gets when the flyer improves. That's pretty much the best way.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 10:44 PM »

Yes, the most important weight is the meat puppet on the other end of the lines..
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 02:31 PM »

Sometimes

When you like how it fleels and tricks and that'll change as you learn more Smiley

Go ahead change the weights, it's an easy non permanent mod you can play around with. Even if you don't end up liking the results, It'll give you some insight into effects of weights on the kite. I wouldn't do anything else until you realy have a good understanding of what you're trying to achive

I will fly a kite "as is" but after I get a feel for it, if I feel it will help, I'll tweak the weight. Some kites feel wrong straight off and I'll add remove some weight right off the bat & see how it goes. I have 3 kites that have different sets of lower spreaders & I may add or remove some weight when I swap the LS out too.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 02:33 PM by Dolphinboy » Logged

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
tempest
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 09:00 PM »

I agree with zippy8 .I think that adding extra weight does help with some tricks when learning, as i have done, but when the trick has been learned, you should be able to remove the weight and still execute the trick.
RonG
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 09:10 PM »

I agree with zippy8 .I think that adding extra weight does help with some tricks when learning, as i have done, but when the trick has been learned, you should be able to remove the weight and still execute the trick.
No.

There are some tricks that some kites simply will not do, at least not in any remotely reliable way, without adding ballast.

The idea is to apply an amount of weight that gives you the best compromise for your needs - no more, no less.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 10:29 PM »

I don't like having to tune or modify the kite other than choosing the right length and weight of flying lines. 

Adding weight, removing weight, adjusting the bridle, shortening or lengthening spreaders, standoffs, spreader attachment points, removing upper spreaders or standoffs, etc.   Isn't the designer supposed to have tried all this before they finalize the kite?  Sure, if you are going to try and push its  capabilities to the low or high wind extreme some mods may be necessary, but it likely will not fly all that well at those points anyhow, so why bother.

If you fly the kite anywhere near its sweet-spot rating, it SHOULD fly just fine for what its designed to do without changing a thing.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum