GWTW Forum
August 21, 2014, 11:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KTAI Show (111 Photos)  (Read 2903 times)
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 12:58 PM »

I must say, I'm getting really excited about those Zero-G gliders (and I'm mainly a dual-line flyer!). Can't wait to see some reviews when people get their hands on one, and I have already e-mailed Prism asking whether they'll make it to Europe in due course (though, if not, and the reviews are raving, I'll probably bite the bullet and get one two from the US).

Update: have just heard from Prism's importer to the UK that he will stock the kites. They should be available by late April, and cost around the 70 mark.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:31 AM by Dromel » Logged

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 02:03 PM »

I must say, I'm getting really excited about those Zero-G gliders (and I'm mainly a dual-line flyer!).

You might also be interested in the Prism Switch which can be flown on 1 or 2 lines.  John has a few pics on his Kitelife Facebook page.  1|2 lines kites seem to be in vogue.  HQ's entry is the Multi-Kite, which is a soft foil with a long tail which can also be flown on 1 or 2 lines.

ATB,
Sam
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 02:50 PM »

the switch will be interesting to see.....neat shape......but will it fly well........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 04:01 PM »

the switch will be interesting to see.....neat shape......but will it fly well........
the true question!
and then what will it cost to stack them?

Sine Metu!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 04:27 PM »

I have a version of the Plutz and it is a very awesome glider for sure.  One thing that Mark showed me at the show was how he has attached the bridle line to the forward "V" shape.  Mark has designed a special fitting that the bridle line goes through, it actually splits in two and "floats" about an inch or so.  What this does is allow the "V" to be pulled in at a much higher angle while drawing the line in so the kite climbs superb!!!  When you release the line for "glide mode" the bridle flattens out under normal tension so the glider has the same incredible glide ratio as a normal Plutz.  It is an active bridle setup that works incredibly well.

Mark, myself and some of the other retailers flew the Zero-G in the back of the convention hall in the indoor area for quite a while.  It flew excellent with no complaints at all.  I love the graphics and the bag look awesome too.

Paid in the $200 range for my Plutz, the Zero-G retailing for under $100.00 is incredible!  This is a 'Must-have' for anyone who has ever been skunked by a no wind day.

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 04:35 PM »

Where did you pay 200$ for a plutz?Huh Unless it is the Mega or a Large that is high.....the plutz 1,2,3 were all between 80-130$....

Yes, the front leg of the bridle attaches to where the canards meet....pull the line and the back of the canards comes downwards and forces the kite upwards with forward movement....then when the line is released the canards flatten out to give a great gliding shape....

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 11:22 PM »

Kent's Plutz is a big one. The same size that Jon T made for himself.

I have added a close-up of the Zero-G bridle:
Linked photo:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 01:18 AM »

The Platz is a great kite and Nicolas Schmidt (Switzerland) gave his plans some years ago here.  Wink
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 03:43 AM »

Jon T made a giant version....~9'....the Large plutz -only 7 of them- are all icarex and about 40" wide/long...the Mega plutz is the same footprint as a BMK 61/49 - two P100s long/wide....the plutz1,2,3 are all about 38" wide/long...

in the pix of the ZeroG I keep noticing the printed design on the canards is on the opposite side of the main sail... i am wondering if that is on purpose or an accident...

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 04:32 AM »

A 9' glider ? Awesome ! I would love to fly something like that. I enjoy the Guildworks gliders that I have, they work great indoors when it's too nasty to go outside. Looks like the Prism glider might be too big for my livingroom, though.
I wonder if the Prism glider is provided with a wand ? I think a wand adds control to a glider or is it like training wheels ? Whatever the case, I'll be flying mine with a wand.
~Rob.

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 08:28 AM »

Rob: for the living room/office you want an iFlite!
Cheesy

doddg
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 09:24 PM »

This was my 22nd year in a row attending the KTAI.  3 years as a Kite Retailer and the rest, as an exhibitor and every year for 22 years, out on the demo field.  Some years it's a little lonely with poor turnout from both other manufacturers and retailers,  but not this year, it was like a mini kite festival for KTAI manufacturers and Retailers, and all of us that were there, had a wonderful time. Without a doubt, one of the best days of the show for many of us.

Miguel was on the field with us, marketing  his new kite to KTAI retailers. No one said anything to him that I know of even though he was not a KTAI Exhibitor. Demo Day is for Exhibitors who invest in a booth only. I did it years ago when I only had one kite to sell. Pay for a booth and join us next year Miguel, great to have you with us!

The KTAI is closed to the public like most trade shows in most industries as it should be. It is for the trade and the trade assoc. was very nice and open to john, a non member and we were happy as he stated we were,  to have professional pictures taken of our products both in our booths and on the field.  So they gave him some rules...as they should and he graciously followed them and was very pleasant to hang out with. Thanks John!

I am in charge of Dual Line Sport Kites and Traction for Skydog and all I can say is THANK YOU! It was a great show and you will be seeing a lot more of our awesome  products this year. Thank you for your support and business!

BTW, The Kite  Trade association has a facebook page and is in contact with it't members and it is quite active in promotion about the show both before and after for KTAI members. If you are not a member, you won't know that.
Again, nice work on the pictures John and thank you.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:37 PM by doddg » Logged
c2thew
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 09:30 PM »

pretty much any new product info comes from
1. This forum
2. Kite party
3. Kitelife.com

and that's it.  I'm in the dark until there is either quite a bit of buzz on a product via the forums.

thanks for the pictures john!. The skydog slk looks really nice.  I think it would be nice to walk around looking at kites in a convention since vivid colors naturally attract the eyes.

Crandall
Weekend hobbyist
 (wish list) rev b series, white pyro delta the 20 foot model?

http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty5
http://tinyurl.com/KiteP6
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty7
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty9
KiteParty10 (coming soon)

My Kite Bag: http://tinyurl.com/795dn9g
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 10:04 PM »

These are great shots John Smiley
Sharp and crisps.Now i know what KTAI looks like.
Do you know the guy beside the delta kite on picture 40?

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
DGomberg
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 06:14 AM »

Sorry for the dim lighting. But this video may give you a better taste of the entire show.

Kite Trade Convention 2012

dg
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document