GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 05:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner's Soul information: short/long standoffs  (Read 693 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 15, 2012, 04:14 AM »

Hi, I thought I would share my recent impressions on the Soul as a beginner to possibly help other beginners (and non-beginners too).

As I said in another post, my Soul came as a default with the shorter standoffs which, according to Flying Wings, provide a more floaty flight.

The fact is that I tried to fly it like this, but my lack of experience was giving me serious troubles controlling the kite. Especially in low wind. It indeed felt very floaty... too floaty, in fact.
As I tried to do some manoeuvre the kite literally turned into an "autumn leaf" and fell to the floor in a swaying motion (most often belly up) without me being able to do anything to regain control.

After two tries (tow days), I decided to change the standoffs for the longer ones.

Boy, what a difference!
It is amazing what 3cm can make!

Today wind was light (approx. 3-4km/h)  but I kept full control of the kite. It flew catching every single breath of wind and flew smoothly and elegantly. I managed to do a couple of axels and a couple of fades (wind blew only for about 35min and then died out  Sad but that's better than nothing).

This, as Hadge had said it would, put a smile on my face
from ear to ear!
   Smiley  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

I therefore recommend every beginner that decides to buy a Soul to make sure they start to fly with the long standoffs.
And enjoy the flying, it is a great kite!

BTW Hadge, I already have my sketch of the kite with all the measures of the bridle and distances from nose to U&L LEs. Also the marks of the knots on the bridle and some reference pictures. As you said, only a few minutes and I'm now safe.

Cheers!

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 04:27 AM »

The shorter standoffs are what gives away rising turtles. Yoyos will be a lot slower as well (You may wanna try to learn the 2 pop yoyo with the shorter standoffs)

Yeah when I got my Soul initially I was pretty amazed at how that short 3 cm made such a huge difference in the handling of the kite.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:34 AM »

I told you that you would like it!  Wink

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:03 PM »

Yes! I love it!
I'm already doing half-axels!
Only on the left side of the window, though (since I'm right handed).
When I try them on the right, I don't understand what I'm doing but the kite gets into a fade...  Shocked  Embarrassed   Smiley
Just a matter of keep trying.
I can also do a belly launch which feels really cool.   Cool
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 04:51 PM »

Yes! I love it!
I'm already doing half-axels!
Only on the left side of the window, though (since I'm right handed).
When I try them on the right, I don't understand what I'm doing but the kite gets into a fade...  Shocked  Embarrassed   Smiley
Just a matter of keep trying.
I can also do a belly launch which feels really cool.   Cool
Cheers,

N.
Not enough slack on the right hand when your doing it on the right side of the window.  I have the same problem with any trick I initiate with the left hand.  My right hand wants to take over.  GUess I better start practicing everything with the left hand Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change