GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 03:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fingers crossed  (Read 2509 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: January 20, 2012, 12:59 AM »

WEll if it all works out I'm planning on going this year for the first time.  Been checking prices and such and notice most of the reasonable hotels are 3+ miles away (from the pier).  For those of you that have been there before how's it for parking access?  Any close places to stay you guys recommend?  I don't mind walking but the idea of a couple mile walk after a day of flying just doesn't sound appealing Tongue
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 02:11 AM »

We stayed at the Ho Jo and drove in, limited parking but we were lucky enough both days to get a spot, parking fee's were a bit pricey but not a deal breaker. At that time many of the participants were staying at the Ho Jo which is why we choose it and it was worth it. See where the majority of attendee's will be staying, didn't get much sleep but good company.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:18 AM »

Free street parking 1-2 blocks from beach, gotta fight with surfers for the spaces

Always room (weekdays & early on weekends) in the lot at the beach fee is $1.50 per hour, with a $15 daily maximum. They upgraded the machines to take Credit cards a couple of years ago so you dont need a bunch of bills.

kiteparty.com

old info site

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:24 AM »

Most of us book at HojO (4-5 miles from beach)

more $$ saved doing this, that the $15 per day pier parking isnt a big deal for me.
I like my vehicle close, for when my friends get thirsty.  Grin
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:35 AM »

Since I drive down I tend to have a car full of kites and if you get to the beach early you can park right next to the sand, so it's easy to dip into the rolling kite bag (or parts bag) as needed.

HoJos is traditional and the distance is no biggie. Drive to the beach in the morning, drive back at night. Crash, rinse, repeat...

Allen, AKA kitehead
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:56 AM »

we stay at the best western a couple of blocks away and just walk or ride are bicycles. it is a little pricey but it is worth it as it givesTracey  a place to escape LOL we only live an hour away so it is a TREAT OH and looking forward to meeting you CA
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:58 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 11:18 AM »

Last year I stayed @ Sun'n Sands, it was decent, good price considering location but it is an older motel so don't expect 5 star hotel conditions.  Heh.  I got stuck with a smoking room though, which wasn't the greatest as I'm not a smoker and the room reeked of cigarettes but I managed.  It was the only room left.

It's about a 10 min. walk to the Pier.

what are the rates for HoJo?

-Mike
ozonejim
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:03 PM »

Don't just show up, you need to register with Dave on his site
http://www.kiteconnection.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 12:17 PM »

Drive to the beach in the morning, drive back at night. Crash, rinse, repeat...

Allen don't forget to "eat"

Staying w/brothers 15 min away, but the price is right. I park in the lot because the truck is my bag(s),
never had a problem finding a "good spot", close to the beach"

and yes new, and old, attendees need to touch base with Dave

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 01:33 PM »

Yep I did that a few days ago using this link though   http://www.kiteparty.com/registration/  ONce Dave updates the list of RSVP's approved and as long as I have no more surprises like having to spend $500 on 2 tires for my truck today because of an errant piece of someones load of 4x4'a, I should be there.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:40 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 03:15 PM »

Yep I did that a few days ago using this link though   http://www.kiteparty.com/registration/  ONce Dave updates the list of RSVP's approved and as long as I have no more surprises like having to spend $500 on 2 tires for my truck today because of an errant piece of someones load of 4x4'a, I should be there.

Sad - I can relate to your surprise today.

"STOP" and "Check coolant" messages for me today from my car before I got one block from home . . . I think I may have my own $500 surprise coming so I'll probably stick with the Hojos instead of upgrading . . . . unless it's just a fluid top up.  This is on top of the check engine light / emissions issues before xmas.

On a separate note, is there anyone who can give me a ride from LAX on Friday morning and back to LAX on Monday afternoon or who might like to car / van pool?  I've reserved a car but I'd split expenses with someone if anyone is interested and times coincide.  I arrive about 8:30 am and my flight out is about 6 pm on Monday.
Revgod
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 10:58 PM »

Actually need to register at www.kiteparty.com
Site is new and registration is easy but required. Thanks.

Steve's CTR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document