GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 10:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Own Vision  (Read 1084 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: January 25, 2012, 10:39 PM »

It seems stacks are making a bit of a comeback and thats nice to see. THey really do put on a good show.  I had to break down and finish my Vision stack I've been planning for a while, waiting on particular color schemes.  Still needs some tuning (cant wuite tell if the last kite is playing catch up or running ahead yet) with better stack lines (dacron sucks for stack line but its what I had) and the tails, oh and better wind to test n tune in.  Here's a few pics.

IMG_0107 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

IMG_0108 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

Premier vision stack by Ca Ike, on Flickr

For those of you that are curious no that isn't a factory triangle bag. Stacks are a pain if you have to break down each kite so I cut up the kite bags for the frame and used heavy window screen for the mesh part to make the bag so I can leave the stack assembled.  I also got to test out the video capabilities of my new Iphone 4S while testing the stack thanks to Firecsi (no more fingers in the frame bud Tongue ) and man it takes some really nice video.

Premier Vision 6 pack

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:05 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 02:34 AM »

Stack looks awesome! Well done
Can you share more pix of the bag you made? Looks quite good

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 04:33 AM »

Looks awesome!  Like the bag a lot. 
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 08:58 AM »

Stacks are cool, I might have to get some.... I don't sew so I use a Prism stack bag

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 04:24 PM »

Yeah, me too.  I've heard they're a blast.  Wink

Stacks are cool, I might have to get some.... I don't sew so I use a Prism stack bag

Stack looked great!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:27 PM by Smeagol » Logged
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:13 PM »

Been wacking my brainonaBag formy 5 stack... I really liked the six pack ..colors look great !!!   Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue  But gotta have a better look see on how you built the bag.. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.  Can you make asimple video... to show it up close and what you did.. and remember..."...Stack em'if you got em'...".  They are fun.  Try the falling on the ground trick I did...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Ca Ike

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:33 PM »

Been wacking my brainonaBag formy 5 stack... I really liked the six pack ..colors look great !!!   Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue  But gotta have a better look see on how you built the bag.. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.  Can you make asimple video... to show it up close and what you did.. and remember..."...Stack em'if you got em'...".  They are fun.  Try the falling on the ground trick I did...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stack looks awesome! Well done
Can you share more pix of the bag you made? Looks quite good

I'll get some more pics and details of how I did the bag up soon
Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 11:58 PM »

I didn't think the bag would be that interesting to people so I didn't think of doing a detailed build post.  I'll explain it as best I can from memory but sometimes I just do these things without really having to think about how.  It took all 6 kite bags to make it so if your doing a 5 stack you will need some extra material other than the Mesh.  4 of the bags I had to make up the front, sides and bottom and the other 2 for the back face.

First thing is to take 2 of the bags and cut of the seams along one side. These will make up the front face and sides so you don't need to completely remove the existing seams. Set out an assembled kite and lay the bags open along the leading edge with the seam you left intact lined up along the spar.  Make sure you can overlap them at the nose at least 1/2 inch on the face of the bag.  I left the nose open so it will be easier to dump out any sand or what not that gets in the bag.

Next step is to take a yard stick, using the kite as a guide, and cut the excess from the bags leaving 1/4-1/2 inch past the wing tip nocks.

Take 2 more bags and cut them just like the first 2 but also cut off the flaps.  Lay them along the bottom lining the intact seam up with the cut edges of the first ones.  OVerlap them at least 1 inch in the center.  Taking your straight edge cut these matching the angle of the side seam but do not cut the inside edge, leave the extra for reinforcement.  THe other half of these bags will make up the bottom flap.

For the back of the bag I took the remaing 2 bags and cut off all the seams and laid them out just like I did the others.

ONce these were sewn up I laid them out and cut some heavy window screen mesh (poly coated fiberglass not the aluminum) leaving a 1 3/4 inch overlap.  This was sewn on with two runs of a 3-step zig zag, one at the edge of the opening and the other 1 inch from that seam.  Any other way isn't as durable of a seam when sewing mesh and will tear easily.

Once all that was done I lined up the back panel with the side flaps and sewed them together.  ON this bag I was able to use the existing snaps and webbing loops on the bottom to hold the bottom flap ends closed and hook a shoulder strap to.  Then used the leftover material with the snaps in the middle. I will probably add a zipper later on and so some more detail finishing but for now this works. 

I suppose I can try and put together plans for it but this was just an "off the top of my head" build.  Here's some more detailed pics.  Oh and Joe if you have them still, send me the bags from the kites in yours an Devins stacks and I can make the stack bags for you guys if your interested.

back side by Ca Ike, on Flickr

mesh pocke resewn by Ca Ike, on Flickr

Stack bag front panel by Ca Ike, on Flickr

bottom corner flap by Ca Ike, on Flickr

mesh seam by Ca Ike, on Flickr

corner over lap by Ca Ike, on Flickr

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:16 AM by Ca Ike » Logged
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 07:36 AM »

It wouldbe wonderful of you and I appreciate it.  I think Jon tossed the bags.. I amgoing to callhimlater...Joe  Thanks...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 09:35 PM »

For those interested here are the final touches on the bag.  I added zippers along the bottom and up the middle and sewed up the bottom corners.  Makes it much easier to pack and unpack

IMG_0117 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

IMG_0118 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 11:08 PM »

LOVE that stack and the bag is ingenious! Fun stuff, bud.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 04:02 PM »

Cool Video Anthony, That I-Phone takes some nice video

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document