GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 09:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transformer TL SUL  (Read 2994 times)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 03:49 PM »

I have 2 PTs on my Nirvana WW and it's very flexible. I'm afraid to try anything like that because I broke a leading edge being too aggressive in an axel. Is it the kite or the flier? Does the Transformer really trick like that on its own? Amazing!

Bob D.
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 03:57 PM »

Does the Transformer really trick like that on its own?
I've been observing kites for many a year and I believe I can state without fear of sane contradiction that kites don't do anything like that on their own. They really are quite helpless without the input of someone on the end of the lines.

Some of them more easily do these sort of things than others though.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 04:30 PM »

Is it the kite or the flier? Does the Transformer really trick like that on its own? Amazing!

In the end it is the flyer...........but Lam designs kites for the common flyer...........I have yet to fly one of his creations that requires 'the perfect input' to get results.  They make a mediocre flyer, such as myself, appear to have some expertise.  Like the Fearless, the TL doesn't punish lack of skill as much as let's say, a Nirvana or a QPro.  This topic always seems to end up controversial, so I'll end my comments here.  Except to say, after learning something new on a Lam kite, I have been able to take that success and apply it to other kites, which, I would say, would have been out of my reach without the previous experience.

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 11:23 AM »

I have 2 PTs on my Nirvana WW and it's very flexible. I'm afraid to try anything like that because I broke a leading edge being too aggressive in an axel. Is it the kite or the flier? Does the Transformer really trick like that on its own? Amazing!

The T SUL does use 2PT but it's a smaller kite with a lighter pull than the N so the will flex less. I also use it with 3PT lower spreaders without much of a loss in wind range on the low end. If the wind is real light, you can also take off one of the tail weights for lower wind use and it still tricks like a nut.

The kite is amazingly tricky but still requires inputs to make it trick Wink

I have flown many SULs and not one tricks as "standard like" as the T SUL. The kite rolls up as good as (or better) than just about any kite I know. It is still light and uses delicate rods so some care is needed. This may be one of the only issues I have with the kite. That it is so easily tricked that you can forget it's a SUL and bang away on it too hard.

If you fly in light wind and still want to do the same tricks that a standard can do, then get one. If you want a floaty, slow, limited trick SUL stay away.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Willy FS
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 11:01 PM »

Nice vid Krijn. Have mist it on VW

Willy

"No matter how smart you are, you can always learn!" Tim Benson

Kitebag: https://www.facebook.com/#!/willy.wilbrink/photos
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 02:58 PM »

What's the Transformer weigh Huh  I am curious ...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Fearless Object

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 09:08 PM »

The Transformer TL with 2pt spreader is : 239 Gram and with 3pt then little more.

Thanks for asking.

Good day.
vertigo2u

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 09:08 AM »

239 grams makes it ... 9.3 oz. 

My Ocius Sul is 4.8 oz. 
The standard Ocius is  8.8 oz. 
Widow Maker std. is 10 oz. 

What does the Standard Transformer weigh Huh
I really enjoyed the video.  Espicially when you rolled thekite up six times.  My leading edge broke in piece's when I crashed.  You really bang her around with no trouble. 

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 09:14 AM »

239 grams is 8.4 oz. Still kind of heavy for an SUL.
My TNT Zero weighs in at 185g and the UL @ 230g.

Denny
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:20 AM by DWayne » Logged

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 10:40 AM »

My Fearless SUL takes less wind to power up than the T SUL. So I kind of think of the T SUL as an more of a very light UL or heavier SUL maybe. I can use it in pretty low wind but as it gets lighter I need room to move. When the wind is low it is quite often variable and the T SUL is perfect for that. If it stays super low I break out the F SUL and keep tricking.

No matter this thing is rocking fun. I tried Tom's when I was up in Seattle and then called Lam to get one of my own. That was a little over a year ago and I am so glad I spent the money on it. I have used it a lot.

Mine came with and internal and external TW. The external (about 11g I think) can be removed and still the kite tricks great but I can feel a little more drive in low wind without it.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
vertigo2u

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 12:37 PM »

I agree very nice Kite.  I keep watching it over again.  Wish I could roll like that. Maybe one day.  Your a good pilot and you make it look easy...

Fearless Object

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 01:41 PM »

Performance with a Smile on the face. As long as you happy with your kite and nothing more then that. I use to fly Vented kite indoor and people think I am crazy. But they don't know why I always bring home more woods each every time in the competition. Slowly people start to understand why:)

Have a great day Wink

BTW, the video is awesome and watch many time my self. I love the Music. Thanks Krijn

BTW: I also make Vented SUL, the kite fly little smoother then Normal Sul. A lot of fun designing kite Smiley
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:52 AM by Fearless Object » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change