GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 08:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: exile and then  (Read 3814 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: May 08, 2009, 04:16 PM »

hi all need some help please i am looking for something to take over when the wind gets above 8-10 and i dont fly when it's blowing over 15 the exile gets a little fast for me at about 8-10 i use a qp standard for a little above and a one of a kind fury .85 for the rest the fury and i are not friendly so i would like to get it to someone who appreciates them hence my dilemma!! is there a kite that is exilesh that can take over at about 8 to 15??? sea devil and fearless are out of my league right now thanx for any help KO ps MPH

have fun kurt
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:29 PM »

A standard Talon works real well between 5 & 15 mph.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 05:06 PM »

You can always try adding wind brakes to your standard Exile.

Perhaps loosen the leech lines and trade speed for noise.

Here are 3 kites with wind brakes:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 05:22 PM »

Kite diapers, how cute.  Cheesy

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
ko

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 05:42 PM »

brakes are how i slow the qp down. over 10 and i just feel that i am overpowering the exile i havnt seen the small ones before they look  vary in ter es ting
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 06:26 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 06:02 PM »

I like Johns idea.  Good stuff Wink
I like to take out my Acrobatx in situations like that.  Its really fun to fly and handles wind quite well. Also very reasonably priced.  Steve's got them for well under a C note.

Its probably not the greatest kite in the world, but I sure enjoy flying it.
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 07:53 PM »

How about a BMK Mantis V2?

Bob
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 09:44 PM »

I've tried wind screens on mine and they worked rather well, but I stopped using them.  Easy to make - I just had the screening over the entire area between the standoffs on each side.

Instead, I threw on 4 barrels, and fly with longer 150# lines and it will tone it down.  I'd first try not loosening the leech line to see if just the longer lines and more weight work - I bet it will.  If not, the looser line will def slow it down.

You can also trick on the sides of the window if you are not already doing that. 

Honestly, not too many kites I've really liked in wind over 13 except for the Fearless.  Most either fly too fast, pull too much, or require too much movement in order to trick.

6 kite tom
portley777

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 09:50 PM »

A good cheap option could be the Nighthawk. Its shape is similar to an Exile and it does get a bit quick and jittery but you can really trick it well in moderate wind without major footwork. I hear the Frenezy is similar too- from reliable sources -but I've yet to fly one. Best of luck Smiley

Cheers,
Mike

kite a fly go
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 10:26 PM »

I'd advise against loosening the leech line on the Exile, or any of kmac's kites for that matter.

The leech line tension that he sets is integral to his designs.

Loosening it off does nothing for any of his kites flying characteristics and, in fact, can cause trailing edge damage.

Ask me how I know..  Roll Eyes
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 01:55 AM »

I'd advise against loosening the leech line on the Exile, or any of kmac's kites for that matter.

Loosening it off does nothing for any of his kites flying characteristics and, in fact, can cause trailing edge damage.

Ask me how I know..  Roll Eyes

I'll bite!

Relate that story to us, will ya' Jim?

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
ko

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 08:05 AM »

amazing what a leech line does good or bad i installed one on my QP sul it did not like it! thanx KO

have fun kurt
stapp59
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 08:18 AM »

I agree and have tried untying the leech line on a Mamba and Mantis.  It made so little difference I simply retied them.  I'm sure it depends on the kite and design.
Beachbum
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 05:01 PM »

I liked the hum Everett's Exile had when I was flying in 14+ with the leech line off, but yes the benefit was minimal.

I have had a great time with the Vendetta in higher winds, but I have never had the opportunity to fly it in the 17-20 range.  Of course one may have a hard time discerning the difference in wind speed that high up.
bigwheels
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 09:24 PM »

Try Dodd's new Sweet Emotions. I've flown it from 5 to 25 mph. & it's quite capable of all the tricks & tracks great. All for only around $160.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum