GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 07:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: exile and then  (Read 3578 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 10:36 PM »

Let's just say that, after having spent a fair amount of time trying this and that with kmac's kites over the years, I've come to the conclusion it really is not a great idea. Ken will tell you the same thing. He told me. I just wasn't listening.

You will get a lot of TE wear in short order if you fly them in high winds with loose leech lines. They also will not fly all that well in general.

They just do not like it.

I'd advise against loosening the leech line on the Exile, or any of kmac's kites for that matter.

The leech line tension that he sets is integral to his designs.

Loosening it off does nothing for any of his kites flying characteristics and, in fact, can cause trailing edge damage.

Ask me how I know..  Roll Eyes

I'll bite!

Relate that story to us, will ya' Jim?

Jim
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 08:38 AM »

leech line stays as does the bridle i played with that as the kite was used it is now stock thanx ko

have fun kurt
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 12:58 AM »

I also got to fly the Sweet Emotion in high winds. Tracking was very good. Speed control was good. It rolled up very easily. The Sweet Emotion is the first kite that I've flown that was under $200.00 dollars, but feels like a $300.00 kite. A very nice kite at a great price.

Jay
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 03:00 PM by jaybett » Logged
doddg
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 12:52 PM »

Glad you enjoyed the Sweet Emotion. The list price is $180, and I believe if you ask Steve, he can get them, If not, let me know.
rxburner
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 02:05 PM »

When the wind gets into double digits I start flying the Revolutions....
Get 1.5 and you will be set...
Rx
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 05:52 AM »

Ditto on the Revs. I find high wind flying (anything over 10 mph)  is very frustrating. Flying a Rev mid vent or vented scratches that itch to fly for me.

Bob D.
stapp59
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 07:02 AM »

One solution, a DIY project:

Variable vents add 1/2oz. Wind range 4-20.  Tricking is iffy for me over 15.

Should proofread closer  before posting Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:53 PM by stapp59 » Logged
oyehut1955
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 10:07 AM »

wow nice looking kite Steve!

My kite inbetween the std and the vent is Wayne Knott's Saber.. it is a wonderful high wind kite..

"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string"

http://community.webshots.com/user/oyehut1955
stapp59
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 04:40 AM »

wow nice looking kite Steve!

Thanks deb.  It is one of Ken's color schemes, very pretty.  This the third venting attempt and is probably the most versatile kite in my bag now.  It gets pulled out often. Flies like a standard with the vents closed and by opening the vents and adjusting the standoffs it will keep flying in anything I'd want to be out in.  If I had to take just ONE kite to that deserted island, this would be it.  Cool

Have never flown a Saber...

Best,
Steve
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document