GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 04:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ups shipping across the border  (Read 1140 times)
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: January 31, 2012, 10:29 AM »

I recently had a kite shipped to canada from the states by UPS.
I was shocked that they charged me $65 just for brokerage fees, the value on the package was $175.

Has anybody else had problems with UPS when shipping over the border?
I have been told by some friends that ups is bad for charging high brokerage fees and duties on pretty much every package they handle.

When you take a kite to the post office to mail what method of shipping is best?
Ive had the best luck with Canada post and USPS.

Why would UPS or FedEx be preferred?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:31 AM by Adamld13 » Logged

tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 11:04 AM »

Most likely, convenience for the shipper?

6 kite tom
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:26 AM »

I've always used USPS, they normally have the best international rates.  I've done quotes for FedEx/UPS/DHL and they end up being 3-4x what USPS would charge, usually exceeding the value of the kite itself.

Not really sure how brokerage fees are calculated though, it may depend on the Country.

-Mike
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 11:35 AM »

I've always used USPS, they normally have the best international rates.  I've done quotes for FedEx/UPS/DHL and they end up being 3-4x what USPS would charge, usually exceeding the value of the kite itself.

Not really sure how brokerage fees are calculated though, it may depend on the Country.

-Mike

I've found exactly the same thing - this is perhaps why they are having such financial problems.....

6 kite tom
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 01:05 PM »

I'm UK-based and all but one of the kites I bought in the US came with USPS. On one occasion, the seller had shipped with UPS, whereas I thought he had shipped with USPS. Shipping costs, including fees etc, were well over $120 with a kite which itself cost $175 .... Can't really blame seller (not on GWTW by the way) because he said he'd ship with UPS and I didn't stop him, thinking it was USPS. I only found out about shipping costs when it was too late ...

So, for me, never UPS again!

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 02:15 PM »

+1
I ship international all of the time...NEVER by UPS...always by USPS....USPS is carried internationally by FedEx so it is quite safe and quick....

UPS charges a "Volume" fee when you ship packages....that jacks the price up....but if you create an account with UPS and have it automatically deducted from a cc that lowers the rates a little bit...

Brokerage fees? no clue what those are...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 02:46 PM »

I've always used USPS rather than ups when importing kites from the US to Australia for that reason. I've always had great service and no issues with USPS at a good price.
Ups costs are ridiculous.
Steve
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 02:50 PM »

Most kites would fit in the USPS Priority/Express mail tube for around $33 to ship to Canada by priority or $35 by express insured at $175. Express Mail has the gauranteed money back to some countries not Canada if it doesn't arrive on the date they says it will, which is often worth the extra $2.
tgard
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 03:17 PM »

Same problem here getting items shipped to BC.  Brokerage fees of around $60 each time.  For kites I try to have them shipped USPS Priority Mail International, it's like $30 + $4-5 insurance.  I also offer to fill out the customs form online and email the pdf file to the seller so they can print it out and ship hassle free.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 03:19 PM »

I ran these numbers through TheFinalCost.com for a $225 item, shipped to me in BC for $25.
Here are the results:

UPS:    Final Price     CAD$ 321.84
FedX:   Final Price     CAD$ 318.54
EMS:    Final Price     CAD$ 280.29
USPS:  Final Price     CAD$ 276.90

What size was the package?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 07:50 AM »

Also have had problems with UPS.  The only shipper to charge me on top of Norway's VAT tax!!

They suck.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 08:12 AM »

i have never been stuck paying brokerage.
Not on a kite... not even on the couple RC cars that were shipped to me (20+lbs)
Guess i've been lucky?
all with usps or canadapost.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 04:41 AM »

I will add my thoughts here and what i encountered regarding shipping

International shipping is the only barrier between me and my wish list Smiley
I understand the cost for post services to handle items for us from one side of the planet to another, but some courier services are way tooooo expensive delivering the same service for the same delivery time.
I have always used USPS Priority Mail International for my purchases whether from Steve or anyone from the swap here and always pay approx $30.00 - $40.00 depending on size and weight of course.
I only once paid over $50.00 for a tube but it contained 2 kites, with lines and Rev handles..the tube empty itself weight more than the kites only lol (but this was a truck proof tube and thanks to the shipper for this)
He advised me about the cost and we shared in half.

As long as the buyer will pay for shipping, sellers should not be worried about anything than the item shipped itself (the most important thing anyway)

Now comes customs values, declare and insurance values. Customs will charge you based on the declared value on the form filled by the shipper. They don't know what is a Blue Moon kite or a Benson DS..so $30.00 for a kite for them is like normal thing/price. This can help some buyers where customs are harsh on taxes, etc
Personally my customs are a bit harsh for items getting over $70.00 and then they begin asking for invoice, import permits, country of origin, etc..that is why i always ask my shipper to declare a lower value to avoid these issues here.

Till now (and i touch wood as i write) I never lost something or received only partial package and insurance did not have to get in it. But the risk in this process is the day where something gets lost and the procedures are more a PITA than the item lost. But anyway, the package is sealed when it arrives in my country and is opened in my presence with a custom officer.

Somehow, i am like a prisoner on my island and i will always know these procedures for shipping and thanks to all those who helped me get my kites and accessories safe.

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 05:03 AM »

Bryan, the rate you are getting new toys the customs officials probably know you by name now.  Smiley
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 08:08 AM »

Bryan, the rate you are getting new toys the customs officials probably know you by name now.  Smiley

Lol Justin  Cheesy

And funny thing is last time i went to collect my kites, there was another custom clerk who was new at this office and he begun to ask questions on the package..then came in the one i used to collect from and at he told the new one "He is OK, i am sure it's kite stuff in the box!" lol
I felt awesome for some seconds when he just signed the release note and asked the officers to pack the box and deliver to me.
I just hope this guy don't change office or dept now  Tongue

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography