GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 07:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need convincing argument for a sewing machine  (Read 2996 times)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: February 01, 2012, 03:49 AM »

I'd like to get a sewing machine start building kites. I attended a workshop in Albany a few years ago and learned that a good machine is really helpful. I have a machine from 1950-something and it's built into a cabinet with a knee switch. I never tried to use it because I have no idea what to do. We're moving to the Saratoga county area next summer and I'll be able to attend more workshops starting next year.

Karen has a machine for sale in the Other category that looks like it's so much better than what I have. Does anyone have a convincing argument for my wife? (She says it's not worth the expense if I haven't tried using what I have already. I'm not sure if she's right or not but Karen's machine looks really nice!)

Bob D.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:11 AM »

75% off retail?

Fdeli
Grant L
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 05:17 AM »

Speaking as a kite builder, if you do start kite building and like it, you are going to be looking for a machine like the Pfaff currently available in the swap meet. While you can sew plenty of great kites on almost any sewing machine, ( I built my first kites on an old cabinet model White machine,) Pfaffs with the IDT, ( double feed,) make it so much easier and are highly sought after by kite builders. I started out with an after market walking foot added to my White, which helped, but the built in of the Pfaffs was much better.
     Many, (including me,) kite builders are constantly checking Craigslist or eBay, looking for a good deal on a Pfaff with IDT. I own a 1473 as a back up machine,( my other machine is older but was already built into my work bench when I got the 1473.) I got a really good deal on mine from a kite friend and was extremely happy to get it as a back up. I do know of kite builders using the 1473 and they are all very happy with it.
    I have seen lots of Pfaff 1473s go for that price or usually higher on eBay. Having a seller that is vouched for here on the forum should make you even that much more at ease about buying. If you do buy, there are several sources you can find with a Google search on how to properly pack a sewing machine for shipping. The biggest worry for those of us looking for machines on eBay is having them safely shipped.  Smiley
   And, if you decide that kite making isn't for you, you can always re-sell the machine. They really hold their value for kite builders. Plus there are lots of kite builders in the eastern US.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:23 AM by Grant L » Logged
spence602
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:44 AM »

Bob,

I was thinking about replying with something JW-esque, but I'll hold that thought.   Lips sealed

My first machine was a 'Tiny Tailor' (2 stitches - forward and reverse  Wink ) and I built a few kites with it.  It was good for learning on, but wasn't suited for ongoing use.  I've upgraded a few times (mainly because either the machine broke and it wasn't worth the money to fix, or I found a good/better deal).

I now own a Pfaff and it'll be the one I use until I'm not longer able.

So here's a few logical explanations/arguments you can give your wife:

Since it's a reputable source selling it, there's a high level of confidence you'll end up with a machine that works well and has been well maintained.  You want a machine that you know will work correctly when you start your kite-building career.

If you know someone who knows how to sew, have them come over and try your old machine.  Hopefully you won't be able to find the manual/parts/etc. to properly use it.  Be prepared to show her how unreliable/broken/unusable it is.

You will sell the old machine to reduce the amount you're spending on the newer machine. If (by chance) the old machine works, tell her that it's now worth more when you sell it.  If it doesn't work, then her argument is invalid.

If you're going to attend workshops, it's hard to transport that cabinet model.  The newer machine is portable.  And it leaves more room in the car so she can travel with you - so she can go shopping or whatever she wants while you're at the workshop.

Spence
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:22 AM »

Bob you should just get Karen's machine and have it appear in the moving truck when you get to the new house! your wife will NEVER know the difference Wink
(not that i have EVER done anything like that with a kite, kayak or cookbooks...)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Bob D

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:15 AM »

Hey Rob! It's one thing when kites spontaneously multiply but sewing machines might be a bit more obvious. I don't think she'll buy the idea that sewing machines can collect in groups in a corner like my kites can.

Bob D.
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 12:07 PM »

Not only is the 1473 the cat's meow for kitemaking, for all the reason's I mentioned in Karen's thread, but here's an argument that everyone's overlooking.  Wink

Even though the IDT (walking foot) is terrific for use with ripstop nylon and polyester, it will work really well with ALL fabrics that she might want to sew as well.

And if she doesn't sew, it'll make the drapes that much easier for you.  Cheesy

Bob
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 02:24 PM »

And if she doesn't sew, it'll make the drapes that much easier for you.  Cheesy

Yeah.... custom drapes and slip covers at her beck and call.  That's the argument to go with.

Femmels like it when you are handy around the house.  Wink

ATB,
Sam
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 03:49 PM »

One side thing for those with or considering getting a Pfaff machine.  They are no longer making them and according to my goto sew shop within the next year maybe two parts will be next to impossible to get to repair them.  So if you get one take REALLY good care of it.  WHat machine is you current 50's era one Bob?  I had a singer from the early 50s with all the cams for different stitches that I loved untill I couldn't get a replacement drive motor for it.
4lnKite
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 04:33 PM »

i like Bob D's arguement. I have had many kites "multiply"; i should spend the extra money to spay  and neuter... Smiley a sewing machine may be different but you need a quality model to do the best work. the new sewing machines are much easier than the older ones, especially for a novice. ( see the kite bag i just made on facebook; first time behind a sewing machine. Justin Abel on Facebook) Tell her with the new one you'll be able to hem her dresses and pants! Wink
Ca Ike

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 05:19 PM »

YOu know if you want a really good reason just tell her you can work on the projects together once you get a good machine for them.  THe time spent together can be the most valuable thing to come out of it and even give her a better appreciation for the work that goes into kites and might even get her out to fly a creation you guys make.
sugarbaker

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 05:22 PM »

Pfaff no longer being made?

They just came out with a new line (the ambition line) and I haven't found any news/info about them being discontinued or out of business.  Do you have other sources that confirm this? Is it possible it's just your sew shop that won't be carrying them anymore?  I'm just confused. 
nckiter

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 05:50 PM »

Pfaff is still in business as part of the VSM (?) group. No longer made in Germany but still with Pfaff design, engineering and QC. Great machines for kite building especially those models with IDT or IDF (same thing, don't know why the change in nomenclature).

I started with my wife's singer and made several kites. Found my first Pfaff (1222) 5 or 6 years ago, added a 1171 about 3 years ago and most recently a 2058. The point is a Pfaff is not required to build kites but as you can tell I like them and have no intention of looking at other brands. Grin
Ca Ike

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 05:54 PM »

Pfaff no longer being made?

They just came out with a new line (the ambition line) and I haven't found any news/info about them being discontinued or out of business.  Do you have other sources that confirm this? Is it possible it's just your sew shop that won't be carrying them anymore?  I'm just confused. 
YOur right its the german models that are discontinued not the brand itself and its those models that parts are not being made for anymore.
sugarbaker

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 09:54 PM »

thanks for clarifying.  I was worried.  I have a splendid Bernina machine now, but see a pfaff in my future.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document