GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 12:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need convincing argument for a sewing machine  (Read 3189 times)
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 04:25 AM »

thanks for clarifying.  I was worried.  I have a splendid Bernina machine now, but see a pfaff in my future.
You might not want to wait...................I'm being tempted just by the looks of it...........never tried running one Undecided

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 09:45 AM »

Collector turned to maker! I support anyone's inner desire to build kites.  (or inner psychosis to build kites... however you see it)
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 09:53 AM »

psychosis, definitely psychosis Cheesy
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 11:40 AM »

Even though the IDT (walking foot) is terrific for use with ripstop nylon and polyester, it will work really well with ALL fabrics that she might want to sew as well.
Yeah, sewing machines can be used for thinks other than kite making.... who's going to believe that!??? Please.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
tcope

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 11:45 AM »

Expensive Pfaffs are GREAT and worth the money but you don't need to start with one. What is far more important is that the machine you are using is clean. It makes a world of difference!

The Pfaffs walking foot is great to have when sewing RS. It makes it a breeze. Pfaff 1222s can be found for $200. I just passed on one locally for $150. Its rare that they sell here.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
HiFly
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 04:17 PM »

YOur right its the german models that are discontinued not the brand itself and its those models that parts are not being made for anymore.

If you prefer the "old" tipmatic-series, they are now (re-)made by Gritzner.

Mike
Jim Foster

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 05:16 PM »

When we decided to make kites, two well known kite/banner makers told us that the best machine for the job is a Pfaff 1471, 1473 or 1475.  We found a 1473 at a good price, started using it, then we found a 1475 (nearly the same machine).  One stays set up the other travels  in our travel trailer with us most of the time.

Have never been sorry.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Fore Check

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 03:47 PM »

I'm a Janome user.  I use an MC6600P - has all the features that Pfaffinistas like and more, in my opinion.

Plus, my local sewing shop (not JoAnns, the *real* one LOL) is a Janome dealer and service center.  **NOTE:  I'd strongly recommend seeing what your local shops carry and service, and start looking in those lines.

I have sewn on a Pfaff and I must say that the configuration of the Janome "even feed foot" (their version of the walking foot) is a notch better. 

What can I say?  I love my machine and have zero intention of changing.  I think my kites turn out ok...   Wink

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 04:03 PM »

Thats one nice kite there Fore Check
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 05:46 PM »

Forecheck

Great interpretation on the standard cody.

I have always love your use of colors.

Fore Check

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 03:00 AM »

Forecheck

Great interpretation on the standard cody.

I have always love your use of colors.

Thanks for the compliment ~   Smiley

However...

(and I'm not nit-picking your comment per se, I get this pretty often LOL.  Your comment merely presented the opportunity  Cool)

...I just want to point out that the kite is no more an interpretation of a Cody than any other cellular kite created since the Cody.   Wink  It seems that when most folks see a complex or "pointy" looking cellular, they think Cody.  Understandable, but structurally, this kite is unique and very different from a Cody.    Smiley

For comparative purposes, I'll offer the following picture of a Cody that I built - and, in an effort to further the intent of the original post ( Wink ) - I present it as evidence of product from a Janome machine.  Matter of fact, this is the first kite I built with my "new" MC6600P.  I was sewing on a relatively cheap starter-type Janome before that.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:28 AM by Fore Check » Logged
tcope

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 11:03 AM »

I guess even if a kite looks like another kite it does not need to be a copy of that kite. Despite what some people might think. That would seem to fly in the face of what some people think.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Fore Check

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 03:22 PM »

I guess even if a kite looks like another kite it does not need to be a copy of that kite. Despite what some people might think. That would seem to fly in the face of what some people think.

I'm a little confused by this statement and would enjoy clarification. 

In the case of the two kites posted above, I would characterize the resemblance as only being that they are cellular kites with a two cells between the longerons.  Outside the longerons, as well as the vertical symmetry, structure, etc, is completely different on the two kites.    Hmmmm....
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 03:53 PM »

In the case of the two kites posted above, I would characterize the resemblance as only being that they are cellular kites with a two cells between the longerons.  Outside the longerons, as well as the vertical symmetry, structure, etc, is completely different on the two kites.    Hmmmm....
THe fact that the first one is a cody inspired design  is obvious, but I agree with you that they are different kites.  It's still a sweet looking kite.  WHat Tcope is saying if I understand him is just because it looks similar doesn't mean its the same.
Fore Check

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 04:25 PM »

THe fact that the first one is a cody inspired design  is obvious, but I agree with you that they are different kites.  It's still a sweet looking kite.  WHat Tcope is saying if I understand him is just because it looks similar doesn't mean its the same.

Having designed Extensivity (the first kite I posted a picture of) I can say unequivocally that a Cody was nowhere even *near* the radar in the design process.  If anything, it's closer to a Saul's Barrage Kite.  But it evolved in drawing form from another more basic design of mine I call the CaloCo.  Oh well.  No biggie, really. 

Cheers!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum