GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 11:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Wasn't At KTAI?  (Read 3068 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 08:59 AM »

I've seen more interesting new kites and all kinds of prototypes at Kite Party than you'd see at KTAI. Thats the type of event flyers should seek out, not a little trade show in Vegas.

I like and admire a lot of people in the kite industry and it sounds like the Trade Association is on a bit of a roll, but it's a reflection on our society that people are more interested in traveling to Vegas to window shop than going somewhere to fly.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:03 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 03:53 PM »

A few years back, I proposed a 'hybrid' AKA/KTA convention. KTA would do the traditional closed show on Saturday/Sunday, and then open the room to AKA registrants on Monday (the first day of convention). Monday night, the KTA awards would also be the AKA Welcome reception. The manufactures who chose to could stick around and share products with fliers from around the country the rest of the week.

Benefits?
More visibility for new stuff and exhibitors
More attendance for both events
Cost savings for organization

Problems?
Poor time of year for some manufacturers and retailers
Longer show - which means more cost for participants
Commercializes the non-commercial AKA

- So could the time of the year maybe be changed?

- Longer show maybe equals more profit?

- Not sure I agree with the commercialization of AKA. There are all kinds of national organizations doing this kind of yearly event, all around the country. Yup, it's a ton of work. Yup, they do take in monies for booth rentals, workshops, etc. They do pay monies for space, promotional stuff, insurance, personnel beyond their collective expertise, etc. The #1 thing they accomplish is promotion of the industry, getting people excited about kiting all over again..... and they're still non-profit. Any monies earned can just go back into next year's event.  

Bottom line, the suggestion was fully discussed but not selected.

Well, there is that. ;-)  Maybe it can be brought out another day.

Quote from: Allen
I've seen more interesting new kites and all kinds of prototypes at Kite Party than you'd see at KTAI. Thats the type of event flyers should seek out, not a little trade show in Vegas.

Oh man, I'd love to go someday.

Nancy
Ghost Herder

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:15 PM by madhabitz » Logged

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Makalu1
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 06:10 PM »

I'd say that given a choice on any day I'm sure most of us fliers would prefer to go to Kite Party rather than KTAI- I sure would like to spend more time flying on the coast and visiting well attended festivals with cool new kites; I'm sure it's great for those who can make it, but not all of us can.

As for anyone spending some time window shopping in Vegas instead of flying on a given day being a reflection on society, I think someone's either taking things way out of context, or taking this whole thing way to seriously. 

I don't really have a horse in this race anyway so I'm outta here... 

Scott Madsen
Revgod

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 09:41 PM »

As you know I rarely/never chime in on these discussions but I do want to add my two cents.
We have been a manufacturer, retailer and distributor for many years.  We attended the KTAI for many years in all three capacities and always had a booth.  The show use to be quite large with many international manufacturers and retailers in attendance.  It is my opinion that one of the reasons that the show is no longer an international event is that it was not open to the public for even a day.  The show was not really even promoted to other retailers outside the kite industry.  In all fairness there were a lot more kite shops back then also.  It's expensive as a manufacturer to have a booth and not have the opportunity to at least have the end user see your product.  As a manufacturer I would happily put away my wholesale pricing info for a day and as a retailer I believe it would benefit me to have as many people as possible exposed to kiting and new products available.  This a show that is paid for by the manufactures but run by the retailers which never made much sense to me but that opens up a whole other can of worms.
I agree with many things that Kent said in his post.  It's a great place to meet and talk with people you do business with, a chance to see up close new items and maybe find that one thing that sells great for you that year.  Unfortunately as a small manufacturer is doesn't make good financial sense.  There are just not enough retailers who will support that small boutique kite maker which is sad.  Thank goodness there are still kite stores like Kents that believe in and carry the small kite maker products. 
In a nut shell my vote is to open up those doors and let this industry grow.    You might just once again get to see Tim Benson, Ken McNeil, Jens Frank and many more of those boutique makers come and show their beautiful and unique kites.
  Thanks for letting me put in my two cents.  Marieanne at Sky Burner Kites

I am very surprised to see a post from my good friend! I will follow your lead Marieanne. I will just say this. The President of the Conference and Visitor's Bureau for the City Of Huntington Beach is absolutely GUNG HO on the idea of having the biggest kiting event in the country. He loves Kite Party, and doesn't want to touch that event. He wants another one! I have suggested a September/October event that brings Manufactures/Retailers together, invites other industries (R/C aircraft, model Rockets, etc), gives EVERYONE their OWN FLYING AREA on the beach, and has at least one day that is open to the public, probably two. General idea, simple....Thursday/Friday: Trade Day. Saturday Sunday: Public day/product showcases. The chance of bad weather in September = Slim. The chance of NO WIND = Slim. The chance of monumental exposure = high. I inquired with several manufacture "big wigs" about the idea, it was EXTREMELY well received. The response from several board members...excuses (and in my opinion ridiculous ones) on why it would be "hard" to do. Well, in my opinion, one of the best one-liners in movie history was "it's supposed to be hard, if it wasn't hard, everybody would do it, the hard...is what makes it great".  My two cents...making our combined total .04 cents!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:49 PM by Revgod » Logged

Steve's CTR
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 03:36 AM »

Makalu1 all i am going to say is:
GO TO KITE PARTY........it would be a better experience for you.............
How come the nice boutique kites are not in the shops for the most part? Money......the makers do not always have a wholesale price and for the shop to make money on those is nigh impossible since they would have to mark it up, but you can still go direct for less....

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:38 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 03:37 AM »

Honestly, kta is a trade show.....it is no where near all fun and games.....you only get to fly for a little bit.....the rest of time is setting up shop orders...even the nights are still permeated by business talks...
For the typical flyer the money spent to go to kite party, or another big festival, would be better spent for that instead of kta.....you get a more laid back attitude from any manufacturers who might be there since they are not there to sell large amounts of kites to shops....

Makalu1

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 11:49 AM »

Well, Thief, as it turns out I AM going to Kite Party!  You and Allen and others convinced me that KTAI is not where it's at for me. 

I'd be the first to admit (and have) that I don't know jack about the business end of kites, don't know much about the festivals, competition and parties, either.  Hell, I still can't even fly them that competently!  I'm just trying to soak it all up.  Don't know if you all can still remember when you first got bit by the bug and couldn't get enough, wanted to see and hear everything, meet all the legends and see them in action... that's about where I'm at now.  I'm just looking for all the open doors so I can learn.  I hope I haven't alienated anyone in the process, sure didn't mean to.

Looking forward to meeting and talking and learning and having fun with you all at Kite Party!

Scott Madsen
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 03:49 PM »

Well, Thief, as it turns out I AM going to Kite Party!  You and Allen and others convinced me that KTAI is not where it's at for me. 

I'd be the first to admit (and have) that I don't know jack about the business end of kites, don't know much about the festivals, competition and parties, either.  Hell, I still can't even fly them that competently!  I'm just trying to soak it all up.  Don't know if you all can still remember when you first got bit by the bug and couldn't get enough, wanted to see and hear everything, meet all the legends and see them in action... that's about where I'm at now.  I'm just looking for all the open doors so I can learn.  I hope I haven't alienated anyone in the process, sure didn't mean to.

Looking forward to meeting and talking and learning and having fun with you all at Kite Party!

Awesome!   One day I would like to go there....it is on the left side of the US....i am out here on the right.......... Smiley
Take lots of pictures!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document