GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 04:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solus Opinion  (Read 1322 times)
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: February 03, 2012, 06:56 PM »

So whats the opinion of the Solus compared to other kites such as the Widowmaker, Seven, Nirvana?

Whats the opinion on the Solus UL vs a STD for 10 mph or less type winds?

I know the WM can fly in lower winds by spec and by reputation, so the question would be is one better suited to have a WM std and a Solus UL for 5-12 mph winds if one is doing basic tricks.

thanks
kirby
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:36 PM »

for those winds you only need the WM. Get them both anyway because as most of us know more is better

have fun kurt
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 11:30 PM »

Having flown the WM a lot and owning a solus set I can tell you they are quite different kites.  Personally I find them both very good kites but the WM has a slight edge in trickability(very slight)and the solus has the edge in precision and flight control.  It really depends on what your looking for.  If you want balls out tricking go for the seven or nirvana(hit and miss on this kite depending on model and mods), Good precision and great tricking WM, DS, Zephyr, Talon, TNT, GEmini, Fearless, Team quality precision and control with a huge freestyle range go for the solus.  OF course there are other choices out there but I'm basing my opinion on what I have in my bag or have flown.  IMO for the price and capabilities the solus is a hard kite to beat when it comes to the boutique kites and its just a fun kite to fly. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:43 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:04 AM »

I am an avid WM flyer owning 4 of them - 3 std, 1 UL.

I LOVE the Solus.  As CA mentioned, they do fly quite differently from each other.  The Solus is a big wing with a little wing feel.  It tricks like a 7 footer with small precise inputs but tracks like a full 8-9 foot kite.  Both of these kites are going to be very happy in 4mph to 12+mph winds.  3 mph winds with some footwork and patience, but still doable if you have the right skills.  Under 5, I go to my WM UL.  The WM UL is one of (if not the) best UL kite ever! (of course this is my own opinion, don't want to start any flame wars).  I can fly my WM UL in winds from around 1+mph to 7-8+ mph without worry.  1mph takes a bit of work and I have been known to pull the tail weight and upper Spreader, but the WM UL is still flyable.  It can do all tricks starting around 2 mph factory set with tail weight in.  (YMMV with different winds, skill and conditions blah blah blah...)  I have flown my WM UL in the same winds as John flying his Innerspace.  360's are very easy in the right conditions.

If you are looking for an aggressive style big wing trick kite with precision tracking, the Solus is sure to please you!  If you are still refining your timing and learning new tricks, the WM is perfect because it is slightly slower in pitching and a little more forgiving if your timing is way off.  Because the WM is so well balanced and tricks so well, it makes me look like a much better pilot than I really am.  Build quality on both of these kites is superior so no need to enter that in the equation.  When you fly the Solus, you get spoofed because you think "100 inch wingspan, big wing...should be slow and easy" but it tricks like a little rocket which is awesome because you can get very aggressive with it and it is exciting to fly.  Tracking and snapping of hard 90' turns with solid pull, and then instantly flipping it into a roll up or JL at ease.....FUN FUN FUN!

I won't be giving up my WM's anytime soon, but now I have a very hard problem of deciding which one I want to pull out of the bag, WM or Solus???

I just got in another batch of Solus UL's and will have them out at the park this next Friday so everyone can give them a go. Until then I won't speculate.

Hope this helps.  Both of these kites are awesome, whichever one you decide on I am sure you will be very happy with.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 01:18 PM »

Another consideration may be line length. I think the Solus really deserves long lines. The two times I've flown one was on 65-75' lines and that big wing felt constrained. Not so much for slack line tricks, but for real flying, which is kind of the point of that kite. If you only fly on short lines, you'd be better with a smaller kite.

Personally, I'd buy a Solus over a WM.

Allen, AKA kitehead
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 01:42 PM »

Not so much for slack line tricks, but for real flying....

Am I expected to infer from this that tricks are not real flying ?

If so.... what are they then ?

Mike,
ever inquisitive.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 02:39 PM »

Falling with style?

Allen, AKA kitehead
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 03:15 PM »

Falling with style?
Or perhaps flailing with style ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 05:26 PM »

When I see an aerobatic airplane performing a Tailslide,

http://aerobaticsweb.org/acro_figures.html#tailslide

I don't consider the plane to be flying....

I do, however, consider the pilot to be skilled.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 06:04 PM »

Another consideration may be line length. I think the Solus really deserves long lines. The two times I've flown one was on 65-75' lines and that big wing felt constrained. Not so much for slack line tricks, but for real flying, which is kind of the point of that kite. If you only fly on short lines, you'd be better with a smaller kite.

Personally, I'd buy a Solus over a WM.
THis is too true.  THe solus is fun on short lines and I have been hammering it on 75's so I'm used to it for KP but there is so much more you can do on my 120 foot line set with that big window.  NExt time you come out to RIpon I'll have to let you play on my 120 set Allen and I think you will be hard pressed to hand the lines back Tongue
Wayner

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 08:14 PM »

I just got in another batch of Solus UL's and will have them out at the park this next Friday so everyone can give them a go.

Can't wait for Friday,  Smiley   I'm sure I will be adding another kite on the to buy list.  Wink
kepople

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 09:18 PM »

Thanks for the advice!

So far I take away from this that they are both great (that doesn't help my decision :-) )
Widow maker std is a better at full blown freestyle, and more forgiving for learning, which I am.
Solus is better at team stuff, likes longer lines, will trick nicely, but needs a bit more precise ie. more skilled, inputs for freestyle, carves up the sky nicely.
Both would suit my needs in 5-12, but the wm is a little better for lower wind.

Both UL versions are still trick able in low winds...

Correct anything I missed please.

So, does it seem noticeable that the solus lower wind range is higher when the winds are winding down?

My initial plan was an ocius sul and a solus ul as I have a good assortment of stds, but it makes me wonder if that is not correct.
An ocius sul for up to 5 then out would come the std solus or widow maker.

Thanks again guys
Kirby
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 11:57 AM »

With proper skills, I think you would have very close to the same light wind range on both the Solus and WM.  If you are going to add a UL or SUL, the lightest of winds is not important.  Both of these kites will do pretty much everything you could wish for at 4-5mph without any work.  They will both go lighter if you want to start working at it - or just pull out your UL or SUL.

I would also not say that the WM tricks "better" than the Solus.  Both of these kites can do more than I am capable of doing.  They just trick differently from each other.  The WM tends to like longer strokes and to be coaxed into tricks which is very clean looking and smooth.  The Solus, even being a larger kite, tends to be a little more radical with sharper shorter inputs.  Roll-ups on the Solus are fast and super easy.  It pitches very fast which is good if you like a faster tricking kite that you can get more aggressive with.

It is very hard to say which one is better than the other.  It really comes down to personal flying styles and how you like to fly.  Both kites are capable of pleasing even the most talented pilots.  If there is a trick that you can't do on either one of these, you can't really blame the kites. Smiley

In reality....which colors/panel layout do you like better? he he he

Ca Ike

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 07:45 PM »

Thanks for the advice!

So far I take away from this that they are both great (that doesn't help my decision :-) )
Widow maker std is a better at full blown freestyle, and more forgiving for learning, which I am.
Solus is better at team stuff, likes longer lines, will trick nicely, but needs a bit more precise ie. more skilled, inputs for freestyle, carves up the sky nicely.
Both would suit my needs in 5-12, but the wm is a little better for lower wind.

Both UL versions are still trick able in low winds...

Correct anything I missed please.

So, does it seem noticeable that the solus lower wind range is higher when the winds are winding down?

My initial plan was an ocius sul and a solus ul as I have a good assortment of stds, but it makes me wonder if that is not correct.
An ocius sul for up to 5 then out would come the std solus or widow maker.

Thanks again guys
Kirby
You misunderstood me here Kirby.  THe Solus is actually a very forgiving kite. YOu can do a trick and be confident that it will complete it while you think about the next one (elegantly put by Allen when he flew mine)  THe solus has one big edge over the WM that made it easier for me to decide between the two. You can trick it as fast or as slow as you want to. Hard n fast regallo axels yep, nice slow floaty super flat multi axels that take all day to complete yep.  I'm getting combos and variations of tricks I haven't been able to get on any other comparable kite in my bag just because of how controlable and floaty the solus is.  IT really seems to be a kite that will fly the way  you want for the mood  your in whether you want nice slow, floaty n lazy or cali wasp(berkeley) yank n spank style.  PUt simply it wants to fly and trick at you beck n call.

Oh and as for the ocius SUL, if you get one don't fly it over 3mph without changing the LS to 2pt but then its not an SUL anymore but closer to the UL.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:48 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
justinpwheeler

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 08:44 PM »

I love mine.  Enough that I may get the UL again to match my STD.  They are really sweet kites and fly nicely.  Plus Jon and Marieanne were a pleasure to work with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document