GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 09:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which line for what windspeed?  (Read 1566 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 02:59 PM »

There is another consideration in line weight.  Braking.  You might get away with 150 lb lines as far breaking strength but you might want to go up in line strenght to take advantage of the braking effect of the larger diameter line.  This is a major characteristic.  If you are flying long lines with large diameter you will be slowing your kite down and that can good in heavy winds.  Another solution is to usw extra large leaders 20 feet with large diameter.

It also works on the other end.  In light winds use the thinest lines possible.

Take note of the belly in your line as it goes out to the kite.  That belly is line braking.  Too much is very bad as it will act dead zone or backlash on your inputs.

If the line is .06 inch diameter versus .03 in. diameter and the length is 1200 inches or 100 feet. There is in effect a 36 in sq extra brake on the kite.  That is substantial.
 Math is (.06-.03)*1200=36
John
  YOur referring to the drag the line has which causes a "braking" effect.  First off your math is wrong because  your dealing with a rod shape made up of multiple rod shapes with an uneven surface, but we won't get into the math.  Not only do you have to  know the right circumference but the surface deviation and a bunch of other factors ,like depth of the cup inbetween strands, coating method (strands coated before braiding will have more drag then coating after braiding) and surface area presented to the wind to get a drag coefficient. Too much of a headache for what we do so don't bother with it.

There are better ways to add drag and slow your kite than line thickness.  Breaking strength is way more important than drag of the lines.
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 12:33 PM »

100# skybond is all you need. (its as thin as 50# spectra)
Its all i fly anymore.  Grin

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 04:23 PM »

I'll second this, I've been flying that line for some time in both UL/SUL wind on up to the mid 20s. 

If you are only going to use a single line, it works well as it has so little drag.  I did break a set early on in low sorts of winds, but I am thinking at this point that it must have just been bad luck - my current go-to set it nearly white from fading and has been fine.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 06:46 AM »

I'll second this, I've been flying that line for some time in both UL/SUL wind on up to the mid 20s. 

If you are only going to use a single line, it works well as it has so little drag.  I did break a set early on in low sorts of winds, but I am thinking at this point that it must have just been bad luck - my current go-to set it nearly white from fading and has been fine.

-Tom

+1
Tom, if you want em to feel like brand new again - switch the ends around. (bridle side to strap side)
If you havent already.  Cool

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 07:11 AM »

100# Skybond is all I use any more. I carry 3 sets of different lengths and it fills all my needs. From 1 mph to mid 20's without any problems.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change