GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 02:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Zero air bites the dust....  (Read 919 times)
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: February 05, 2012, 10:29 AM »

I broke another zero air spreader on my Ocius SUL....good thing I have 6 spares Tongue Cheesy Cool
Wind was 0-5km but suddenly a random gust hit and snapped the male spreader right where the ferrule ends.
Gotta love inconsistant dirty inland wind... Cry

Im going to say this could not have been avoided to hopefully avoid any unhelpful pro/coach remarks. Wink

Im wondering if using a longer ferrule might help?

This is also a first gen Ocius so im thinking that this might have been changed in newer models??
The total length of the ferrule in my ocius now is 90mm..thats about 40mm per spreader after the
center T....doesnt seem like much to me considering how fragile these sticks are.
Does anybody else have one and could measure the length?? It would be greatly appreciated Grin

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:32 AM »

There are a few things that could be happening.

1 The lower spreader is sliding off the ferrule a bit and then cracks.
2 The lower spreader is just getting over stressed.

You might consider either tightly wrapping tape on both LS near the center-T
or putting some heat shrink to tightly compress the spars.

Fly the kite on very short lines and yank on the lines.
Look to see if the female lower spreader is sliding away from the center-T.

If it is, that's a different problem.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
gwm
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:08 PM »

Adam, If you know how to thread-wrap a fishing pole it will make a nice strong reinforcement where you need it.
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 01:22 PM »

A longer ferrule might help, but it also might put the stress point of the ferrule beyond the reinforced area of the spar. I'd give Jon T. a call. He'll be able to say for sure what the best length is.

One thing about the super light spars... You gotta be manic about getting a smooth fillet on the end of the ferrule, even on the male side. A simple chamfer often isn't good enough, it's really got to be a radiused edge.
Adamld13

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:41 PM »

You might consider either tightly wrapping tape on both LS near the center-T
or putting some heat shrink to tightly compress the spars.

The spreader that broke was reinforced with tape but it broke right where the tape ended.
The guy that i bought the kite off went thru a few spreaders also..

Im going to try a slightly longer ferrule and experiment with different types of reinforcement.
If that doesnt work ill maybe just replace the spreaders with somethign else....

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 03:19 PM »

Will is right.  Round the edge of the ferrule before gluing it in so you reduce the stress point (think how your knee or foot works when breaking tree branches). Also since there is a gap between the rod and ferrule use a medium or thick CA that is capable of filling gaps.  CA has good bond strength but horrible sheer strength and we put a lot of sheer stress on glue joints when we trick kites. If the glue gives way you can break the rod pretty easily at the ferrule.
jon t
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 07:27 AM »

Having a longer ferrule most likely will not help. Most of our tapered tubes have a build up on the first 2" on the large end.  If you go longer you are going past the build up of the tube and putting pressure on the  thinner part of the tube. On the Zero we are using cut up 2P's for ferrules. It does not make sense to use a 6mm pultruded tube cut at 3.7 " because it weights close to half of the weight of the tube itself. My suggestion is to have an extra set of 2pt's for the days when you have the up/down wind and you want to do harder slack line tricks. I know I have been sending sets out with new kites when asked and it will give you the wind range you want and the added  strength for beating it around. Save the zero's for the no wind days.   
Jon
Sky Shark Tubes
Adamld13

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 11:16 AM »

My suggestion is to have an extra set of 2pt's for the days when you have the up/down wind and you want to do harder slack line tricks. I know I have been sending sets out with new kites when asked and it will give you the wind range you want and the added  strength for beating it around. Save the zero's for the no wind days.   
Jon
Sky Shark Tubes

This is a great idear...thanks Jon! Smiley

Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 12:27 PM »

Adam - i have lots of little bits of spars in my bag... we'll find something when we're at the field next.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document