GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 05:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Ultra-light (UL) Kite Advice  (Read 3829 times)
SkyDancer
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: February 07, 2012, 11:43 AM »

I’ve got some birthday money in my pocket and am thinking about spending it on my first ultra-light kite. I’m looking for some advice from fliers more experienced than I.

I’ve been flying a Flying Wings Alpha+ for the past couple seasons and am happy with it. In case you're not familiar, it’s essentially the Beetle’s big brother. I’m certainly no sport kite expert but am now usually able to avoid unintended “landings.” At this point, I'm more of a precision flier than a trick flier (but that might be mostly because I haven't learned any tricks yet!). What I need is something to use outdoors in Indiana when the Alpha+ won’t fly.

My budget would allow me to buy a new or used kite priced at under $200. That unfortunately rules out new versions of Ken McNeill’s and Jon Trennepohl’s excellent kites (I'd love to have a UL Mamba or a Pro Dancer SUL). I’d be willing to buy a good used UL BMK or Skyburner kite at the right price but they seem difficult to find. I’ve been watching online kite classified ads and haven’t seen any.

If I must buy new, that probably limits me to kites such as the following:
•   New Tech’s Paladin UL
•   Flying Wings’ Acrobatx UL
•   Flying Wings’ Silver Fox UL
•   HQ’s Shadow UL
•   Prism’s 4D (although I’d prefer a larger kite than the 4D)

I’d be grateful for any thoughts you could pass along, including suggestions for kites I might not have considered. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:12 PM by SkyDancer » Logged

Sport kite beginner (Premier Widow, Skyburner Ocius UL, Flying Wings Alpha+), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 11:59 AM »

I can't comment on all of the kites on your list. The FW Silver Fox UL is more of a light standard than a proper UL. I have a Shadow and it's a very nice kite at a great price, a proper UL in fact almost a SUL - it will fly and trick from about 1 1/2 -2 mph and quite tricky although some find it a bit twitchy, it's something you get use to. It's also pretty strong for a UL and if you do break anything it's cheap to fix - no super expensive spars. There are better UL's on the market for more money, but at the price it's hard to beat. There was one in the swap meet a couple of weeks ago, I don't know if it sold,

Yep, it's still there for $60! you won't be disappointed  Smiley ( and it's the nice purple tattoo one that we never got in the UK ! Sad )
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:02 PM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:23 PM »

Sent you a pm
Imafloater

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:03 PM »

For my 2 cents give the Acrobatx UL some serious consideration. This is in your price range and I've seen it do all what you want. I'm learning tricks the Acro is making it alot easier. My flying buddies are real pros and trick it like nobodies business. Kite easily handles wide range of winds from 1or 2 up to good 9-10. For what it's worth I also ordered slightly heavier rods from Steve should boost it up to around 15 mph. Just my 2 cents but this has become a 'go to' kite for several of us.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 03:48 PM »

Skydancer: check out the swap meet...there are some sweet deals in there on SUL kites....
I know that Windsweptkites.com's Yard Sale has a couple as well....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:00 PM »

my 1 cent is this, buy a standard Exile it will fly in UL winds and you can use the other thing for flying when it gets windy It is also tougher than most UL's

have fun kurt
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 04:23 PM »

Lightnvariable has a Widowmaker UL on the swap.  IMO you won't find a better UL, Comparable, but not better.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:55 PM »

I agree, the WM UL is awesome.  For the price, if that Shadow is still available, I'd snatch it up for sure!

SkyDancer

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:05 PM »

I have a Shadow and it's a very nice kite at a great price, a proper UL in fact almost a SUL ... There was one in the swap meet a couple of weeks ago, I don't know if it sold ... Yep, it's still there for $60!

Turns out there was an error in the Shadow listing. The seller actually wants $140 for it, which might still be a good price but it's not the steal $60 would have been!

Sport kite beginner (Premier Widow, Skyburner Ocius UL, Flying Wings Alpha+), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
SkyDancer

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 06:09 PM »

For my 2 cents give the Acrobatx UL some serious consideration.
Thanks. I've seen positive comments about the Acrobatx elsewhere on the forum, as well.

SkyDancer

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 06:10 PM »

my 1 cent is this, buy a standard Exile it will fly in UL winds and you can use the other thing for flying when it gets windy It is also tougher than most UL's
Thanks for your penny! Unfortunately, the Exile is beyond my budget right now.

SkyDancer

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 06:11 PM »

Lightnvariable has a Widowmaker UL on the swap.  IMO you won't find a better UL, Comparable, but not better.
I'm sure it's a great kite and would love to have one, but even that used deal is beyond my budget right now.

justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 07:03 PM »

PM'd you.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 07:40 PM »

DocZ has a REALLY nice Exile for sale PM him if you are interested, hes a good guy. maybe you can talk him down a bit. but it is at a pretty good price now whatever you end up with ----HAVE FUN !!

have fun kurt
emegaz

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 07:58 PM »

I'd have to agree that the WM ul is a terrific kite. The shadow for me wasn't so great. Alot of others like it though. I'd save up for the WM ul. But that's just my opinion.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document