GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 10:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat(2)  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Ultra-light (UL) Kite Advice  (Read 3776 times)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 10:01 AM »

If I must buy new, that probably limits me to kites such as the following:
•   New Tech’s Paladin UL - Never flown it
•   Flying Wings’ Acrobatx UL - Very good trick UL kite
•   Flying Wings’ Silver Fox UL - Nice kite kind of heavy for a UL
•   HQ’s Shadow UL - Very light and fun but squirly
•   Prism’s 4D (although I’d prefer a larger kite than the 4D) - Very light but very trick challenged

If you want to get in to tricking, then out of the above, I'd pick the Acrobatx UL or the Shadow. I like the Acrobatx UL better of the 2. If you just want to be able to fly in light wind then the 4D would probably take the least amount of wind. It is small though. I don't know anything about the Paladin UL.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 10:55 AM »

I agree with with DolphinBoy - if you are looking for a new trick kite at less than $200, then the Acrobatx UL or SF UL are very very hard to beat and are well within your budget so you can also pick up a nice lineset.  Don't skimp on the linesets IMO - a nice kite on bad lines is not so nice.

I would be sure to get the UL version of the Acrobatx, I did not care at all for the standard.  I am not sure what the differences are, but it seemed like a completely different kite.

6 kite tom
SkyDancer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 12:03 PM »

... if you are looking for a new trick kite at less than $200, then the Acrobatx UL or SF UL are very very hard to beat and are well within your budget ...

Thanks for the reply. You raise a question, the answer to which might be valuable to other relatively new flyers as well. I've come to understand that some kites fly precision figures well but do not do tricks well. What about the reverse? Is it more difficult to fly precision figures with a kite that tricks well?

Sport kite beginner (Premier Widow, Skyburner Ocius UL, Flying Wings Alpha+), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
SkyDancer

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 12:04 PM »

If I must buy new, that probably limits me to kites such as the following:
•   New Tech’s Paladin UL - Never flown it
•   Flying Wings’ Acrobatx UL - Very good trick UL kite
•   Flying Wings’ Silver Fox UL - Nice kite kind of heavy for a UL
•   HQ’s Shadow UL - Very light and fun but squirly
•   Prism’s 4D (although I’d prefer a larger kite than the 4D) - Very light but very trick challenged

If you want to get in to tricking, then out of the above, I'd pick the Acrobatx UL or the Shadow.

Very helpful response. Thanks!

Sport kite beginner (Premier Widow, Skyburner Ocius UL, Flying Wings Alpha+), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
SkyDancer

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 12:05 PM »

I'd have to agree that the WM ul is a terrific kite. The shadow for me wasn't so great. Alot of others like it though. I'd save up for the WM ul. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the input.

SkyDancer

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 12:06 PM »

DocZ has a REALLY nice Exile for sale PM him if you are interested, hes a good guy. maybe you can talk him down a bit. but it is at a pretty good price now whatever you end up with ----HAVE FUN !!

Thanks. That Exile does look like a good option.

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 12:09 PM »

... if you are looking for a new trick kite at less than $200, then the Acrobatx UL or SF UL are very very hard to beat and are well within your budget ...

Thanks for the reply. You raise a question, the answer to which might be valuable to other relatively new flyers as well. I've come to understand that some kites fly precision figures well but do not do tricks well. What about the reverse? Is it more difficult to fly precision figures with a kite that tricks well?
Kites that trick well are usually pretty sloppy fliers...

SkyDancer

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 12:14 PM »

Kites that trick well are usually pretty sloppy fliers...

I suspected as much. Thanks.

tpatter

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 12:47 PM »

It depends on what you are looking for I guess.  I find my favorite kites to excel at both well beyond my current flying abilities.  My biggest priorities are excellent tricks and excellent precision.  I am willing to give up a bit in super-flat rotational stuff as long as the kite can slot, taz, and combo well. 

One thing that I have found is that I generally much prefer kites with a deeper sail.  They just seem to trick much better and fly more precisely in a wider variety of wind conditions.

All my opinion, others differ, etc - but I think that there are some kites out there where you can have it all, although thats tougher in the under $200 mark.

6 kite tom
SkyDancer

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 12:57 PM »

I find my favorite kites to excel at both well beyond my current flying abilities.  My biggest priorities are excellent tricks and excellent precision.  I am willing to give up a bit in super-flat rotational stuff as long as the kite can slot, taz, and combo well.

Well, this will give you an idea of how new I am at this: the terms, "slot, taz, and combo" mean nothing to me in this context!

That being the case, it's probably true that any kite will trick or fly precisely beyond my flying abilities!

That said, I think my main goal right now is learning to fly precision figures well. Once I have more of those under my belt, I'm interested in learning some slack-line tricks but that's not my first priority.

Let me take a moment to repeat how much I appreciate all the responses in this forum!

tpatter

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 05:35 PM »

SkyDancer,

Think about picking up the Exile on the Swap now.  The Exile standard would fly lower than my Silver Fox 2.5 UL.

6 kite tom
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 07:38 PM »

If you want to get in to tricking, then out of the above, I'd pick the Acrobatx UL or the Shadow. I like the Acrobatx UL better of the 2.

SkyDancer, you've probably worked out there's a different opinion for each and every flyer out there.

Just goes to show different strokes for different folks... I like the Shadow better of the 2  Grin  BUT only because it flies in lighter winds than the Acrobatx ... and the difference is only slight.  On the other hand, the Acrobatx is probably more likely to withstand an unexpected crash than the Shadow.

For what it's worth, I've tried LOTS of ULs and SULs over the past few years from reasonably inexpensive to phenomenally expensive, and each kite has had its good points and almost none have had glaringly bad points.  Are you clear in your own mind if you want a kite to fly in light to moderate winds, or in zero to light winds.  If it is light to moderate, then a second hand Widowmaker (best!) or Exile standard would be a great choice, the Widowmaker UL or Exile UL an even better choice.

If you are aiming for a zero to light wind kite, this is where the Shadow fits (along with the ProDancer SUL you mentioned, and the 4D).  The Shadow is very light for it's size, so it launches well and pulls firmly on the lines, but likes a delicate touch to keep things smooth.  The 4D is even lighter and quite a bit smaller, so requires an even more delicate touch.

Good luck working out what fits your needs (and budget)

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
SkyDancer

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 08:43 PM »

SkyDancer, you've probably worked out there's a different opinion for each and every flyer out there.

Yep. Still, every reply to this thread has been helpful. I hope other readers have found this thread helpful as well.

Are you clear in your own mind if you want a kite to fly in light to moderate winds, or in zero to light winds.

This is a very good question. My main goal is simple ... be able to fly on days when the Alpha+ won't fly. The Alpha+ is "rated" from 4 mph to 27 mph and I've had fair success with in in 6-7 mph wind. So I guess anything that will fly fairly easily in 2-5 mph would be good. Even though that's not as low as, say, a PDSUL, it will still get my flying when Indiana's winds don't support the Alpha+

... likes a delicate touch to keep things smooth.  The 4D is even lighter and quite a bit smaller, so requires an even more delicate touch.

I'm wondering whether a kite that requires a delicate touch is the best choice for a two-season Alpha+ flyer!

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 04:19 AM »

Flying in light wind requires a gentle touch, no matter which kite you end up with. The 4D just asks more of the pilot because it's 1/2 size. Anyone can fly the 4D in next to zero wind, at any skill level, though. Flying it well is another story. My choice (out of a dozen or more SULs) in low to no wind flying is the Prism Ozone. Being that they're out of production, you would have to buy one second hand. It would run somewhere around the price of a new 4D, maybe a few dollars more. Just post a 'wanted' add, I'm sure one would shake loose.

onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 05:19 AM »

I need to lighten my bags.  Here are a few I am considering selling.  (Ouch, so hard to sell a loved one)

All would be in your price range, though the Delta will be right at the top.

Anyone that has thoughts on these please share - I will not be offended by negative opinions.  You aren't "killing" a sale for me.

*HQ-Shadow - Great reviews and I want to like it but haven't click with it

*Delta Drive-Skyburner - Killer kite

*HQ-City Session - Well used.  My early favorite "light" kite

*Level One-C21 Extreme - Very good UL choice.  Medium size, light wind, not "twitchy"

you can PM or email me  e@onlye.org

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document