GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 09:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Ultra-light (UL) Kite Advice  (Read 4106 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 06:45 PM »

have fun kurt
SkyDancer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 06:49 PM »

I need to lighten my bags.  Here are a few I am considering selling.  (Ouch, so hard to sell a loved one)

Thanks for chiming in and adding options to my list of kites to consider!

Sport kite beginner (dual and quad), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
SkyDancer

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 06:50 PM »

Nice looking kite. What is it?

Sport kite beginner (dual and quad), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 06:54 PM »

Nice looking kite. What is it?
That would be either a fearless light, transformer ul or a sea devil light though I've never seen those graphics on one before so I can't tell which it is.  THey run about $350 ish new and $250-$350 used DOC.  Though I don't really get along with Lams kites THe fearless id probably the one that agrees with me the most
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:57 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
SkyDancer

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 06:56 PM »

A local kite flyer just made an interesting suggestion (off the forum): Buy a Premier Widow (a lot like a Sky Burner Widow Maker but not exactly) and re-frame it with P-100 tubes to create something between a Widow standard and a (not officially existent) Widow UL. Seems like a pretty interesting idea. It would get me a new kite that's similar to a WM, just a bit heavier than a WM UL, for much less than even a used WM.

Ca Ike

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 06:58 PM »

A local kite flyer just made an interesting suggestion (off the forum): Buy a Premier Widow (a lot like a Sky Burner Widow Maker but not exactly) and re-frame it with P-100 tubes to create something between a Widow standard and a (not officially existent) Widow UL. Seems like a pretty interesting idea. It would get me a new kite that's similar to a WM, just a bit heavier than a WM UL, for much less than even a used WM.
IT works but by the time you get the kite and the stuff to reframe it you might as well just by a used widowmaker.  You can get them for a decent price used.   Besides, reframing a kite isn't just putting in lighter sticks, you have to consider the balance as well and you can really screwe up a kite if you frame it wrong. Not to mention some ul kites have a slightly different cut to the sail
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:12 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 08:29 PM »

Also, a UL has more items replaced than just the frame.
I was looking over the Deep Space UL page today and man its really a lot different than a std DS.

On the wolf note, for the money, that is one great kite. Very nimble, and looks great. Also can handle some wind, since its much smaller than a Widow or widowmaker.
If they made a UL version of it, I would get one.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 10:02 PM »

skymaster ul by lam it was the model before the sea devil

have fun kurt
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 11:44 AM »

Another option if you are looking, the Skydog Black Dog UL.  This won kite of the year at the 2010 KTAI and can be purchased around $120.00

Ca Ike

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 03:56 PM »

Another option if you are looking, the Skydog Black Dog UL.  This won kite of the year at the 2010 KTAI and can be purchased around $120.00
WOuld like to fly one of these just to see what the hype is about.  IMO that award is meaningless if the kite and flier don't get along  Cool
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2012, 04:28 PM »

WOuld like to fly one of these just to see what the hype is about.  IMO that award is meaningless if the kite and flier don't get along  Cool

Sadly no kite gets along with every fly; or a flyer with every kite.  Embarrassed

This fact is making Sky Dancer choice so difficult.  Sad

Sky Dancer. You can not go wrong with any of these choices.
I would suggest you base it on what is most important to you.
  • Price?
  • Lowest wind speed?
  • Kite Color?

For me, got the Shadow 2 years ago, WM UL last year. Both kites and I are getting along very well.  Smiley
Ca Ike

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2012, 04:35 PM »

So true Wayner.  THe best advice any of us can give is find local fliers and ask to borrow the lines for a few minutes.  THere used to be a lot of fliers in indiana on this forum
SkyDancer

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2012, 04:46 PM »

So true Wayner.  THe best advice any of us can give is find local fliers and ask to borrow the )for a few minutes.  THere used to be a lot of fliers in indiana on this forum

Fortunately, I've gotten to know quite a few Indiana flyers via the Hoosier Kiteflier's Society and other nearby clubs. I'll probably delay a decision until flying season returns and I have a chance to fly some of their kites. I already know many of their kites, however. They're mostly higher-end than I'm looking for (a lot of Sky Burner and BMK). Few of them fly the less expensive kites. Perhaps that should tell me something!

Ca Ike

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2012, 05:37 PM »

So true Wayner.  THe best advice any of us can give is find local fliers and ask to borrow the )for a few minutes.  THere used to be a lot of fliers in indiana on this forum

Fortunately, I've gotten to know quite a few Indiana flyers via the Hoosier Kiteflier's Society and other nearby clubs. I'll probably delay a decision until flying season returns and I have a chance to fly some of their kites. I already know many of their kites, however. They're mostly higher-end than I'm looking for (a lot of Sky Burner and BMK). Few of them fly the less expensive kites. Perhaps that should tell me something!
Reasonable price doesn't mean a bad kite.  We've all started out on budget kites and got to high end boutique kites as the funds allow.
Stogiez
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2012, 06:57 PM »

I've got a Black Dog UL and I enjoy flying it, but sadly--my kite skills are not enough to definitely say that it can go down to what it is rated at.  Or how well it tricks.

I'm still an advanced beginner, but I do enjoy it.

I wonder why no one else has mentioned this one.

And yes--an award may not mean much if the flyer does not click with it, but then again, neither does a price tag.

A few SLKs, a few Dualies, and a couple of Quads.  Still trying to learn more.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document