GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 09:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vf.scorimg  (Read 751 times)
emegaz
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: February 07, 2012, 07:49 PM »

Iam thinking about trying my hand at vf. I was curious as to what type of flying and tricks get the highest scores. Iam more of a aggressive flyer. I tend to transition very quickly from one trick to another. Also I was curious as to what video editing software would be good. And what camcorders would be best for vf videos. Thanks

Joe
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 06:39 AM »

Iam thinking about trying my hand at vf.

Very wise.

I was curious as to what type of flying and tricks get the highest scores.

A lot of videos are on the site so take a look. In my experience the scoring is holistic - ie; "that was a nice bit of flying" rather than a coldly analytical "he did this trick for 0.5 of a point, then this for 0.6" etc. The judging pool is whoever enters so bias and preference will naturally change too.

I should note that taking VF seriously is frowned upon. Trying to win it really misses the point.

I tend to transition very quickly from one trick to another.

There was an argument made many moons ago that the route to success was More Tricks=Higher Score. This is far from correct. Quality over quantity. A mellow and laid back routine full of smoothly integrated niceness has as much chance of garnering good numbers as a manic trash-a-thon at a million miles per hour. There's no magic formula.

Also I was curious as to what video editing software would be good. And what camcorders would be best for vf videos.

Whatever you fancy. Broadcast quality camera plus a full Avid suite or smartphone and OS-bundled movie wrangler - just so long as the flying can be seen 'cos that's what is being judged, not the video's production values.

Mike,
former VF Chief Wrangler and Cat Herder.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:50 AM »

I was going to reply...but I am so glad I did not.

Great post, Mike.

obi

Sent from a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
bryan beasley
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:23 PM »

's all ever-so subjective, much like Freestyle generally.

Really depends on the skill set of that particular rounds' entrants and whatever seems to be fashionable at the time. ;-)

Bryan
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:15 PM »

Iam thinking about trying my hand at vf.

Very wise.

I was curious as to what type of flying and tricks get the highest scores.

A lot of videos are on the site so take a look. In my experience the scoring is holistic - ie; "that was a nice bit of flying" rather than a coldly analytical "he did this trick for 0.5 of a point, then this for 0.6" etc. The judging pool is whoever enters so bias and preference will naturally change too.

I should note that taking VF seriously is frowned upon. Trying to win it really misses the point.

I tend to transition very quickly from one trick to another.

There was an argument made many moons ago that the route to success was More Tricks=Higher Score. This is far from correct. Quality over quantity. A mellow and laid back routine full of smoothly integrated niceness has as much chance of garnering good numbers as a manic trash-a-thon at a million miles per hour. There's no magic formula.

Also I was curious as to what video editing software would be good. And what camcorders would be best for vf videos.

Whatever you fancy. Broadcast quality camera plus a full Avid suite or smartphone and OS-bundled movie wrangler - just so long as the flying can be seen 'cos that's what is being judged, not the video's production values.

Mike,
former VF Chief Wrangler and Cat Herder.
In short, just enter and have fun Smiley  The attitude and personal opinions of the entrants play a huge roll in judging and at least one person pretty much admitted to me that kite choice plays a part for him as well as vid quality (have to be able to see whats happening) and others do a more competition style judging.  No matter how well you place or whether theres a prize to win it's still fun to enter and for me seeing myself improve every time I do.
Yan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:18 AM »

Just  Fly Your Way!  Wink

VF is somthing to be part of, show what your doing and see what others are doing.

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:54 AM »

Iam thinking about trying my hand at vf. I was curious as to what type of flying and tricks get the highest scores. Iam more of a aggressive flyer. I tend to transition very quickly from one trick to another. Also I was curious as to what video editing software would be good. And what camcorders would be best for vf videos. Thanks

Joe
Hey Joe...
Just join in... no matter how you fly, flying in front of the camera is going to make you better, especially if you are using a tripodÖ Sounds like your flying style is the opposite of mine and you should do well. All of the top of the pack belt out the tricks one on top of the next, no time to breathe.
If you're like me and don't have anyone around that flies, the VF is the next best thing. It's pretty cool to see what everyone else has learned, and for that matter, where everyone else flies.
Video editing software ? You can use Windows Movie Maker, it is included with most machines, or at least itís a free download from Microsoft. I use Cyberlink Power Director, only because thatís the software that I learned video editing on. If you have an Apple, I guess thatís a question best answered by someone else. Best cameras ? That answer goes by budget. I use a cheap Sanyo camera, it could be better, but it does a pretty good job in good lighting conditions.
Thereís still a couple of weeks to throw something together, hope to see you in it. Iíll be in this time, after missing 2 rounds, I finally got some footage I can use.
Good Luck !
~Rob.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography