GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 05:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Rev 1.5 sle  (Read 2766 times)
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: February 08, 2012, 01:59 AM »

Hi all, just so excited my 1.5sle arrived today (thanks kiteflyer82 for all)
I have it with both LE and two lines sets. One 120' and another one shorter..80' i guess bit will measure it exactly.
In addition to my Supersonic i bought last month, this one will be on more smooth days and for more precise flying.
I have a 11" handle that i will use for it till i save a bit and get longer 13" ones.But i will learn with this handles first and adjust pitch if needed.
Any advice for leaders tuning for this kite? I was advised from someone to put longer leaders to get some pitch, brakes, etc.
Any length i can begin with and at what distance first not begin from the handle tow point.

But beside all this, i am really excited to fly this kite Smiley
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:47 PM by B-13 » Logged

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:46 AM »

I usually seperate the 4 lines and put a pair on a dual line kite on aa windy day to stretch them a bit, do the same with the other set, fly them like you stole them, now take the 4 lines and equalize them, don't worry about pitch or anything yet,, connect the lines to the kite and handles and fly it, you'll know what you want after a few seconds if it takes off nicely or needs adjustment at the handles.
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:19 AM »

I tune my revs so that when in full 'up', with the bottom of the handles against the top lines, the sail does not start luffing when flying with the leading edge up. That will vary a bit with wind speed, so in light wind you might need to lengthen the brake a centimeter or two from that point. There is no need to any have more up, as any more kills the airflow over the sail. If you're used to it being set up with more up, this will feel weird but it's worth getting used to.

The shorter brake lines make the kite more neutral and thus easier to fly precisely. Since most tricks also require popping the brake lines, the shorter brake also increases the amount of control throw.

Also longer leaders (longer than the length of the handles) will reduce tangles and snares.
Jeepster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:30 AM »

Please excuse my rudeness of being in one establishment and advising one to go to another!!!

However, my best advise is to post your same write-up on the Rev Forum.  Rev kites are a borderline religion to many of the folks there.  And, do they love to help the new converts.  They helped me immeasurably when I started flying Revs ... and maybe I'm just slow, but the tuning steps simply weren't intuitive.  

Plus, many of your questions have already been answered in great detail in various threads.

You might also try reading this thread on the IKE forum.  Mike has probably done the best job of describing the leader setup that most folks use.

Cheers,
Tom
B-13

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:21 AM »

I thank you all for the replies.
I guess that best thing now is to fly and see how it react to the given wind at this moment. I encountered this with the Supersonic at first and found myself more comfortable with a bit longer brakes than pull leaders.
However the 1.5 will react differently and only flying tests will show me the mods to do.

Tom i thank you for the link and i posted on the Rev Forum first and has already been answered by REVflyer there Smiley

ghfisanotti

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 04:24 PM »

I tune my revs so that when in full 'up', with the bottom of the handles against the top lines, the sail does not start luffing when flying with the leading edge up.

Hi Will, excuse my poor English, what is "luffing"?

Thanks and regards,

Gerardo Fisanotti
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 05:32 PM »

Hi Will, excuse my poor English, what is "luffing"?
Thanks and regards,

Gerardo Fisanotti
I think in this context it mean losing wind (To flap while losing wind).

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 07:05 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luffing

Basically if the angle the sail makes with the relative wind of the kite is too shallow, the amount of lift decreases. The optimum point of lift is somewhere close to the point just before separation. You can tell this point on a rev because the sail will noticeably unload.
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 03:51 AM »

I tune my revs so that when in full 'up', with the bottom of the handles against the top lines, the sail does not start luffing when flying with the leading edge up. 

(<* that is generally considered a "big dose of Down" my friend!*>)

If you're used to it being set up with more up, this will feel weird but it's worth getting used to.
(<* I force people to experience "too much down" and demand they get used to it.  Practice flying the leading edge from an inverted position on the ground to shoulder height and then back to the ground, should look like it's on railroad tracks, all smooth and laser straight.  The sooner you get comfortable with the kite a foot off of the ground and inverted, the sooner you'll own your hover,   That's the key to success in pairs, team or mega-flys, and you do want a piece of every one of these grand times!  You have to stay in your position and can't go surging off or wigglin' around either! *>)

The shorter brake lines make the kite more neutral and thus easier to fly precisely. Since most tricks also require popping the brake lines, the shorter brake also increases the amount of control throw.
(<* well said Will!*>)
ghfisanotti

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 03:53 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luffing

Basically if the angle the sail makes with the relative wind of the kite is too shallow, the amount of lift decreases. The optimum point of lift is somewhere close to the point just before separation. You can tell this point on a rev because the sail will noticeably unload.

So, apart from the nautical terminology (that I don't understand, not even in Spanish) "luffing" is more or less the same as "flapping", that I do understand. Seems like an interesting way of setting a Rev, makes much sense. I'll try that method with my Rev next weekend, weather allowing...

Thanks Will for your clear explanation.
B-13

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 10:20 PM »

So a little reporting after some test flights.
I added longer leaders on the handles (i have the 11" ones) and this really corrected the fluttering but need to be more precise and it have more brakes. The kite is relatively more square to the wind and working on a lower level in the wind window is easier. (Where the wind is more constant too)
Now the longer leaders give better controls in reverse hovers. I am still working on these and maintaining constant altitude with stable hovers. Sometimes it will slide left (i am right handed and tends to put more pulling on this hand) and being in reverse, the brain has not yet got this right lol
Spins also are not so precise at this moment, loosing altitude when spinning and i guess giving forward to the wing up in the spin movement is the solution...and spinning slower too.
I get smoother spins with my supersonic and it does not loose altitude.It spins even more rapidly on the SS.
I am looking for some tips on the bicycle spins over here and the rev forum to know where i am wrong.

Overall, i found myself more comfortable with controls with the longer leaders and after some hours of flying i found myself giving it more throw and still getting more comfortable each time. Working the reverse hovers and reverse slides is my main goal Smiley
Will perhaps get a video off the phone one day

B

REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 03:52 AM »

here's a quickie trick to make that inverted side slide a little easier to master.  The kite slides by "changing the relationship" of one handle to the other.  The inverted slide? everything is backwards, so until it happens automatically you'll use a cheater method. 

If you wanted to slide to the right, for example
you'd tuck the left handle into your ribcage (thumb/top touching your chest) and leave it perfectly stationary.  The kite is hovering on the left side.  Make all your flying adjustments with the right hand.  As you pull this handle backwards (or thrust it forward) the kite will move(slide) or stop, depending on the amount and rapidity of this single hand movement you should be able to slide/stop/slide/stop/slide and your brain only has to think about one hand (no mirror-imaged two handed adjustments for flight)

With more practice you'll forget all about the rib-cage crutch and the inverted side slide will be just as easy as sitting down!  Little kids can do this technique except their "reach" isn't as wide, so they've gotta' move their feet as well, to make it as wide as the wind window.  The technique is easy to demonstrate for those in a struggle with the inverted  slide.  Try it yourself and see!

Imagine you have to stay on a laser beam a foot off of the ground as you slide back and forth.  You want to slide in a straight line, stopping and starting, maintaining a constant speed when moving, three times left and then back 3 more times right.  Hold the stops for a couple of seconds, (you meant to do that!), keep practicing and think about that straight line objective the entire time.  Straight, smooth and constant.  It will not happen except U_G_L_Y the first time, but it will get easier with practice.  One day it will look like you drew it out on paper with a straight edge!
B-13

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 09:41 PM »

Wanna thanks everyone here contributing in my learning curve..
Yesterday was a nice 8-10mph afternoon with and decided to practice that reverse hovers and some pseudo slides lol.

Things are really easier now and i only hover in reverse since i learn this..it is automatic and found it easier to hover in that position..need some more practice but i think i get my ticket for the Dark Side Smiley

Revolution reverse hovers.mp4

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography