GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 05:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Subject changed. Compaire the TNT to other high end kites  (Read 6468 times)
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 04:02 PM »

Hi Guys
           yes the TNT and other euro kites are expensive in the USA conversely a kite by Lam Hoac is equally as expensive outside the USA, but the cost of the kite is immaterial to the fun you have with that kite. If you like that particular kite well another $100 bucks is not a great ask. If you fly a lot a kite may only last, what,  3 years with minimal maintenance. Bespoke kites tend to be very well built and not flown by beginners so over the life of the kite an annual cost is SFA. What makes the TNT better than other modern kites? Nothing really, a particular kite may be good for one and not for another person. It is all about what YOU like. Why you like something is intrinsic to you, no one else.
           Sports kiting is a relatively cheap hobby even an expensive kite such as the TNT breaks down to not a lot per annum for the life of the kite. Save up, sell the children for science experiments or sell a couple of those kites you do not fly any more and buy which ever kite you think will be for you.         

Mike

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 04:27 PM »

What makes

Mercedes better than BMW?

Coke better than Pepsi?

Apple better than Microsoft?

Blondes better than Brunettes?

Seinfeld better than Friends?

Wine better than Beer?

The answer is everything, nothing, something, or who-cares depending on whom you ask.

6 kite tom
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 04:32 PM »

What makes

Mercedes better than BMW?

Coke better than Pepsi?

Apple better than Microsoft?

Blondes better than Brunettes?

Seinfeld better than Friends?

Wine better than Beer?

The answer is everything, nothing, something, or who-cares depending on whom you ask.

That pretty much sums it up.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 05:10 PM »

Hmm.... A lot of excuses for owning expensive kites, but nothing specific about the TNT. How does it compare to a Cosmic TC, or a Nirvana, or a Fearless? Does the kite excel any particular tricks? Does it have any strong characteristics, such as the nose going deep in a turtle?

Jay 
Ca Ike

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 07:32 PM »

Hmm.... A lot of excuses for owning expensive kites, but nothing specific about the TNT. How does it compare to a Cosmic TC, or a Nirvana, or a Fearless? Does the kite excel any particular tricks? Does it have any strong characteristics, such as the nose going deep in a turtle?

Jay 
OK from the bit of flying I have done on KingJ's TNT here are a few specifics I can mention.

KIte has a strong feedback in the line but pull remains light up to 15 mph.  Good solid feel without getting overpowered throughout the wind range.  Starts loosing tricks at about 13 mph.

IT doesn't excell at one particular trick.  All tricks are there in spades once you get the inputs down.  However the tricks I really like doing on it and are easy for me are JLs, 2 pop roll ups, Taz, 540 spins(back to back 540s) backspin variations.  Yes I am an old school flyer and like the rotational tricks. All the roll up tricks I know how to do come easily enough. KIte rolls up easily and flies smoothly rolled up.  Mathias method of moving the inhaul bridle leg onto the lower spreader seem to make this kite a lot more responsive in rotation tricks and seems to make the cascade cleaner (less slop on the stop inputs) and waps don't seem to need as big of a spin input as compared to other kites I have flown.  Turtle is deep enough

Precision is really good for such a trick friendly kite. IT likes small inputs when it comes to turns but does crisp corners with little wobble.  No wobble if you power out of a corner.  Has a slight tendency to wander on a straight line which gets exagerated if your flying in bumpy inland winds but thats common to  most kites not in lab grade winds.

NOw from my experience here's my opinion on how it compares to kites I have flown.

NIrvana (debray rep and NSE)-- easier to trick, tracks better, smaller inputs, lighter pull yet more solid feel, not as forgiving

Saber 2 -- better in all trick categories, equal precision.

Fearless-- easier to trick, doesn't lock in a turtle, equal precision, lighter pull and doesn't stare at you all day Tongue

Sea devil --  better all around (this is an older design however and still a good kite)

Deep space-- SMoother tricking but just as easy to trick, better precision, not quite as forgiving , better wind range

Talon -- MOre solid feel, easier to trick for me (I have never gotten along with the talon so take my opinion as just that)

Solus -- Just as easy to trick (better taz, 2 pop roll up and comete though), not as precise (main design goal for the solus so thats understandable), Lighter pull (again the solus being more of a team kite this is understandable),

WIdowmaker-- Smoother tricking (better taz , comete, bs cascade and 2 pop roll up), faster speed, not as precise or forgiving

OUt of that list My top 2 choices were the TNT and Solus with the widowmaker a close 3rd.  I went with the solus because at the time a set of solus' was only $50 more than the TNT comp Std, less than half the cost of a TNT std/ul set and was better for my budget.   IF you can afford it the TNT is a great kite for the price. UNfortunately for a lot of us here in the US its a bit out of the budget range.

Many thanks to the ripon and chico fly groups for the chance to try so many different kites.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:35 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 07:55 PM »

and  if   you  look  at  the  TNT    VS  USA   kite  the  price  is  not           a  big   diffrnece  to  a  veyr  nice  high  end  kite   what    makes  the  price  so  high  here  in the  State  is   our  weak  ass dollar

Good air always Bobby
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 08:33 PM »

Ca Ike,

Thanks for the information.

Jay
Mr.Derrick
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 09:35 PM »

Ca Ike , wich TNT version was it ?
There are differences between the Zero, Ul, UL-Comp. std, Std-comp and Strong.

Starts loosing tricks at about 13 mph.
sound like a normal std.

if there is an strong at the other end of the line, you can trick it up to  20 mph and if you know what you have to do even up to 25 mph.

greetings from Berlin- Germany
Dirk
My Kite Picture Page: http://de.zooomr.com/photos/elduderino/sets/38621/
Ca Ike

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 09:47 PM »

I've only flown the Std so I can't speak on the other versions
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 11:33 PM »

For such an expensive kite, it must have a feature or features, where it excels.
I thought that I addressed this in my first reply:- it's not an expensive kite. If you add in Aerostuff and "competition spec." then it becomes expensive but that applies to all manner of things.

So that should be enough people to offer an opinion.
My opinion is that you should either try to borrow one for yourself of, failing that, watch some of the many videos available until such time as someone does find the time to pen a thorough review. This is hardly a new kite, knocking on four years old now, so snippets are available.

If I were forced to offer a Reader's Digest version it would be that it really doesn't showcase anything particularly strongly but that it doesn't have any major weaknesses either, it's just a well resolved solution to the task of making A Nice Kite. There are a few areas where I needed to adjust but it's not like I had to hop up and down on one leg whilst reciting my grand-aunt's postcode to get it to Axel (I've flown an I2K remember).

Precision is really good for such a trick friendly kite.
Bleurgh Embarrassed It goes where you put it more or less but it's really better used by flickin' an' trickin'.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Ca Ike

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 01:54 AM »

If I were forced to offer a Reader's Digest version it would be that it really doesn't showcase anything particularly strongly but that it doesn't have any major weaknesses either, it's just a well resolved solution to the task of making A Nice Kite. There are a few areas where I needed to adjust but it's not like I had to hop up and down on one leg whilst reciting my grand-aunt's postcode to get it to Axel (I've flown an I2K remember).

Heh thats funny Mike.  THe axel was ALL is could get my IL2K to do without tying itself in a knot.  Was definitely one of the "meh" kites in the prism line.  My reaction every time I flew it was " Meh, its a kite"  lol
DWayne

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 05:57 AM »

I've only flown the Std so I can't speak on the other versions

Actually, you've only flown the AS Comp std version.
A bit different than the std version.

Denny

DWayne

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 06:09 AM »

If I were forced to offer a Reader's Digest version it would be that it really doesn't showcase anything particularly strongly but that it doesn't have any major weaknesses either, it's just a well resolved solution to the task of making A Nice Kite.

Well put.
It does what its told. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether its old school, new school, or precision, its a kite that's as capable as the person flying it.

Denny

KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 07:08 AM »

If I were forced to offer a Reader's Digest version it would be that it really doesn't showcase anything particularly strongly but that it doesn't have any major weaknesses either, it's just a well resolved solution to the task of making A Nice Kite.

Well put.
It does what its told. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether its old school, new school, or precision, its a kite that's as capable as the person flying it.

Denny

This ^^^^ That goes for most any kite, its the pilot more than it is the kite, just as I posted before.  Sure there are kites that do certain tricks "easier" than others but if you give a guy like Debray a Nirvana, TNT, Talon or any number of other kites in this vein he's going to be able to make them all look good.

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
dragonfly
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 08:54 AM »

I should have asked, how is the performance of the TNT compaired to other high end kites?

... what's about the looks? Some say crow's feet ...   Lips sealed Cheesy

:: a carbon framed out-of-body experience ::
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum