GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 12:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solus bridle modification  (Read 2962 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 11:16 AM »

Yes Adam it can.  The more stable and precise a kite is the harder it can be to trick.  Its a tough balance.  Long turbo legs help with roll ups and add pitch and rotational instability.  Start reversing your settings a bit at a time until you get that satisfactory balance for your liking.
tpatter

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 11:38 AM »

Did you also change the AoA when you adjusted the turbo leg?  If not, then that could be part of it. 

I would check the stock specs on the SF bridle if they are available to see where you are at by comparison.  My feeling on this stuff is usually that the designer of the kite has already done what you are trying to do - its a key part of the kite as a whole. 

Tom

6 kite tom
Ca Ike

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 12:14 PM »

Now were getting really off topic here lol.  Sorry Kevin Smiley  I flew an SF pro a couple weeks ago and I have to say it's fine stock if you want it to be the trick monster Bell had in mind with decent tracking.  Like the solus the SF pro likes small inputs when flying precision, prefers punch turns to combo turns and its really easy to over control that kite. 

I will be trying Kevins bridle adjustments myself.  My solus has no oversteer, IT spins tight and spin stalls easily but its very controlable.  Look at 2:40-2:48 in this vid where I spin stall it 180 degrees to an arcing slide and other spots where I dead stop rotations.  THis is a well behaved kite with no oversteer.  REsponsive yes but no oversteer so I will compare Kevins settings on my kite to see how it changes and see if there might be a bridle issue.  Mistakes happen and no builder is perfect.

Sign of the times (solus std)
PAW
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 03:03 PM »

@ Ca Ike
...is that you flying in this video ?
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 03:11 PM »

Yes Adam it can.  The more stable and precise a kite is the harder it can be to trick.  Its a tough balance.  Long turbo legs help with roll ups and add pitch and rotational instability.  Start reversing your settings a bit at a time until you get that satisfactory balance for your liking.

This statement is a HUGE oversimplification and very misleading.  One of the most stable and precise modern kites (BMK Mamba) is dead easy to trick.

Long turbo legs on a bridle are totally unnecessary to make a kite pitch, in fact turbo legs aren't necessary for pitch at all.  The Widowmaker originally came with a 3 point bridle and was a piece of cake to roll up in either direction.  The turbo bridle that was fitted to later versions contributed nothing to pitch or roll ups.  But it made a big difference to stall characteristics.

Adam, adjusting the bridle on any kite is very particular to THAT kite.  There are SO many other variables that go into making a kite stable, trickable, precise, slow or fast turning.  Things like weight distribution, standoff positions, bridle attachment points, total mass, trailing edge tension, leading edge shape, sail billow ...  So what works on one particular kite may have a totally different effect on another.  Lengthening the turbo leg on a MEFM was how you improved precision, on other kites it has the opposite effect.

Sad I can't believe this post has gone so off topic

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
KaoS

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 03:14 PM »

@ Ca Ike

...and in this one?

Kevin Sanders

Ca Ike

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 06:09 PM »

@ Ca Ike

...and in this one?

YEs thats me in both videos Paw.  THe one Kevin linked is the first flight on my solus std. THe other one is from a couple days ago.  It took me a while to get used to the solus coming from a big input kite but I connected with it pretty good right off.

Back on topic Kevin.  I tried your settings today and I didn't notice much of a difference.  WHat I did notice was the low end is a slight bit better, taz is a bit easier but rollups and everything else didn't change much at all.  Tracking is still the same and precision didn't really change enough to matter to me.  TUrn rate is less sensitive and thats what you were going for so it works for your purposes.  I actually got a similar feel just by removing the weight.  ONly thing I did different from the way Jon set it was tighten the leech line by about 1/8 inch so its relatively quiet up to 8 mph.  I sent you my bridle measurements so you can compare them to yours. Maybe your bridle is off somehow.   Thats one thing I like about the solus is the tail weight doesn't change the kite much at all.  It just enhances rollups and rotational tricks
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:50 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 06:13 PM »

Ike,
Thank you Thank you THANK YOU!  Smiley  (for sending the measurements)

Kevin, sorry I couldn't send you them in a PM as we've talked about. After my recital is over, I'll get my kites back out and be able to spend some time on them before KP and will get you measurements as well just in case.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Ca Ike

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 07:53 PM »

Hey Kevin, any update on your bridle specs?  I've been going back n forth between your set up and stock on mine and on mine it puts the tow point too far outside the aero center of the wing.  Compared to my initial impression which was in the low end of the wind range, in the 10-12 I was out in today the kite became hyper sensitive to inputs during tricks to the point of almost being uncontrollable.  Straight lines were good but turn radius almost disappeared.   I had to shorten my inhaul to bring it back into a better turn rate but lost overall performance.

KaoS

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 03:08 PM »

Hey Kevin, any update on your bridle specs? 

I like my settings.  Got an email recently, turns out JT likes my bridle settings too.

Kevin Sanders

lummas
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 09:31 AM »

Well, just spent the weekend at Kite Party, where wind was light.  I spent a large chunk of the weekend flying the Soulus UL with Devin and John T.  For all this talk of bridles issues, I have to say that the UL was an absolute joy to fly.  Played with it for hours and liked it so much, I even nabbed Devin's personal one to use during our Too Much Fun team demo!  Thanks to Devin and SkyBurner for their work and for sharing.  It was a great weekend.

Mark
Team Too Much Fun
Ca Ike

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 05:56 PM »

Well, just spent the weekend at Kite Party, where wind was light.  I spent a large chunk of the weekend flying the Soulus UL with Devin and John T.  For all this talk of bridles issues, I have to say that the UL was an absolute joy to fly.  Played with it for hours and liked it so much, I even nabbed Devin's personal one to use during our Too Much Fun team demo!  Thanks to Devin and SkyBurner for their work and for sharing.  It was a great weekend.

Mark
Team Too Much Fun
You and Devin made it look so easy I almost wanted to pack mine up and hide, Almost  Cheesy 
lummas
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 12:59 PM »

Hide... I don't think so!  But we did have a great time.

Mark
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum