GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 12:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lower spreaders pop out  (Read 1007 times)
Makalu1
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: February 20, 2012, 03:46 PM »

Me, I'm always starting with the question mark message icon.  Maybe someday I'll be handing out advice, too.

Meantime, I've got an Acrobatx std, which I've never been too happy with anyway for a bunch of reasons.  But most aggravating about it is that the lower spreader(s) pop out darn near every time the kite hits the ground.  I realize that a frame giving at some stress point prevents real damage (like a ski binding popping instead of my ankle), but with the Acrobatx it's ridiculous how often and easy it happens.

My question, what do folks recommend for tightening up the spreader and lower leading edge fitting so it doesn't come apart quite so easily?  Besides becoming a better pilot and avoiding the problem that way.  To shrink the socket or expand the spreader, that is the question.     

Scott Madsen
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:27 PM »

I fixed this with an upper spreader before by applying a few drops of CA to the bit of spar that goes into the connector - worked well for me.

6 kite tom
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:24 PM »

I've fixed a 'problem' kite once by using blue masking tape at the end of the spar, just wide enough you couldn't see it.....after that failed (it took a long time) I just put a shrink wrap stopper fitting and it hasn't done it again.  (probably never would have been a problem in the first place had I any skills in high wind.   Seems when an issue like this starts the situation only gets worse until you either replace the apas or learn how to avoid harsh contact with terra firma Wink  )

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 05:35 PM »

buy new fittings for a couple of $"s or as an alternatve dip the ends of the spars in varnish a few times with about 20minutes between coats. make sure to sand them a bit first. the new fittings will probably keep your sail from becoming a vent though

have fun kurt
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 05:55 PM »

I am nearly always greatful when the spars pop out when the kite hits the ground.... especially if high speed is involved.  It is a safety valve that protects the spars and the sail, most of the time. Later on when you have better control, it can be a slight irritation, than do what these guys have suggested.  Otherwise, think of it as  pressure relievers.

Good winds.

Magpiesfooty.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 06:55 PM »

If you had the chance and the money to buy new kites and give them much abuse, then don't worry and crash the Acrobatx to death Smiley
But if i were you, i would take good care of my toy..if it's broken, there will be no joy for me..so better take good care of it each time..
Why you crash? don't crash and learn to land instead.if your kite is driving straight to the ground nose down, just run towards it or give more slack on the line, it will smooth the landing and protect your kite from damages.
if winds is too strong, then just release the lines in case of ground diving lol

If you are crashing because you are learning tricks, then i suggest you learn in more gentle winds, tricks will be easier achieved and you will see what is going on. If not learning tricks, then i suggest you learn controlling the kite to the maximum before learning everything else.
Land gracefully, in case of crash (nose down) land in a pancake..learn to stop abusing of the kite first Wink

Have fun
B

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Makalu1

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 08:39 PM »

I really don't think I am "abusing" this particular kite, though I understand what you are saying, B.  Of all my kites this one requires the most wind to fly so it does not come out of the bag too often.  So experience with this kite is clearly a factor as is lack of control.  And since it only comes out when the wind is higher that all adds up to more serious face plants when I screw up.  I'll grant you that.  All that said I still think this Acrobatx needs a little help.  I just don't slap my toys around that carelessly, at least I don't think I am.   

On the other hand, living in a land of inconsistent winds it's nice to have a variety of kites to practice with or I'd get little practice at all, that's just the way it is here.  That said, I've learned more with my Sea Devil sul in the past few weeks than I learned in the last year with all the other kites, so you're also right about that too, B.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll try to be kinder and gentler.  All part of the learning curve I guess.  As always, I value everyone's suggestions on this page.         

Scott Madsen
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:13 PM »

All that said I still think this Acrobatx needs a little help
This is the case with some kites. It's a feature.

Most of the kites coming from the late and much lamented Kite Studio came with a highly advanced and competition tested anti-pop-out device fitted as standard to avoid just the situation you describe. Hopefully the picture below gives you an idea of this instrument.

It's a rubber band. The twisting was an option on custom kites.

HTH

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 11:00 PM »

On some kites, moving the inner standoff/spreader fitting a bit closer to the center T does the trick. The frame is now pushing inward and keeping things together. No need to flight test, just pull the spreaders out from the T and see. If there's more resistance. Then go find a big rubber band.

My mistake. This does nothing for spreaders coming out of the LE fitting.

Sorry
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:23 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:04 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 09:10 AM »

I've been using this fix for years, keeps the spars tight but allows them to move freely

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 09:35 AM »

All that said I still think this Acrobatx needs a little help
This is the case with some kites. It's a feature.

Most of the kites coming from the late and much lamented Kite Studio came with a highly advanced and competition tested anti-pop-out device fitted as standard to avoid just the situation you describe. Hopefully the picture below gives you an idea of this instrument.

HTH

Mike.

hey know... aren't those the special Chris Matheson sliced up inner tube rubber bands?Huh those are more special than a normal rubber band......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 10:56 AM »

As I read the initial post the issue is that the lower  spreader is popping out of the leading edge fitting, which would not be unheard of on an Acrobatx. If that is indeed the case, expanding the end of the spreader with tape or a piece of heat shrink tubing may be your best option.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Makalu1

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07 PM »

Steve, I think you've got the idea.  I will try Allen's suggestion first, then move on to yours or tpatter's suggestions. 

Thanks much everyone.

Scott

Scott Madsen
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 12:18 PM »

As I read the initial post the issue is that the lower  spreader is popping out of the leading edge fitting
Oh you with your la-di-da "reading".  Roll Eyes

Yes well I can illustrate what we were supposed to be talking about using the same kite  Tongue.

A wrap of extremely thin tape is there not to up the size but to offer better purchase. The Tradewinds LE fittings are perfectly fine for size but are of a fairly hard "rubber" material that doesn't grip the spars like APA fittings do. Frankly if you need to put more than this on then the fitting is probably the wrong size in the first place.

Or you really are hitting the ground damn hard.

Mike,
reading posts..... it's crazy but it just might work.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document