GWTW Forum
September 23, 2014, 09:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FW Soul bridle lengths  (Read 1049 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 26, 2012, 03:16 PM »

Hi,

After Hadge's suggestion I noted on a piece of paper all the bridle lengths of my new Soul.
Today, by chance, I found an old post in which Headge and others comment on the lengths of the bridle of the Soul (http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=3275.0).
However, they do not seem to match mine.
So below I include the diagram I did with the lengths of the different segments to ask you whether they sound OK or whether they are somewhat off what they should actually be.
I must say I have been flying OK, but since I'm no expert, perhaps I could be flying better...  Huh
So any comments will be very appreciated.
Cheers,

N.

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:37 PM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:49 AM »

BTW, why so many knots and short segments between the knots?  Shocked
I have no idea as to why the bridle is so complex.
I'll be happy to learn more if somebody sheds light on this.
Thanks!

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:26 AM »

The knots are for adjusting the kite for the different wind conditions.  The pigtail leader on the top of the kite has multiple knots on it so you can either pull the nose towards you or lay the nose back away from you depending on your flying preferences.  You do this by moving the attachment point of the bridle line either up closer to the nose or down towards the end of the pigtail.  Some kites will also have adjustments on the bridle outhauls (attachment closest to the leading edte) and inhauls (attachment closest to the center T connector).  These adjustments are for you to adjust the kite even more, making the kite either more stable for precision or more radical for tricks.  Generally there is no "right" or "factory" setting.  The settings are usually basic settings for optimum wind conditions and you will want to adjust / experiment with them until you find a setting that works best for you.

Generally, you will pull the nose towards you for lighter winds, this gives the kite much more forward drive and makes it easier to fly when the winds are light.

Dropping the nose away from you will make the kite "feel heavier" which will slow the kite down a bit in stronger winds and will make the kite much easier to pitch and stall.  For tricks, a heavy setting is usually preferred (depending on the style of the pilot).

For ultra high winds, you may want to again pull the nose towards you.  This speeds the kite up but reduces the amount of force and pull on the sail.  Not the best for tricks but can reduce overall wear and may save some parts if you "just gotta fly no matter what".

Hope that helps.  If this is not what you were talking about then disregard. Smiley

Hadge

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:40 AM »

I now fly my Soul on the standard settings :-

Upper Outhaul - 54cm
Lower Outhaul - 57cm
Inhaul - 63cm
Turbo - 9.5cm

As supplied by Albert Chen of Flying Wings, this seems to work best.  The only adjustment I do is to the upper pigtail for wind speed. 

Yes, the Soul bridle is rather 'messy' with so much adjustment.  I did try retying a new simplified bridle using the standard settings but for some reason the kite really didn't like it and I had to change back to the original.

Mine is quite an old Soul, I did read somewhere that the newer souls are slightly different to the old ones and so your measurements may be different - I haven't seen any mention of a 'new' Soul on the FW website - can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:50 AM »

Thanks to both Gamelord and Hadge, but I still cannot make out for each segment where they start and where they end according to your terms: upper/lower outhaul, inhaul, turbo.

I've been trying to compare with some sketches I have found in the web but I still cannot make the match.

Would it be asking too much to take my (ugly) sketch and mark what each segment is?
Or at least try to describe it like segments 8+1+0.5+6.5+18.5+17.5 make up the upper outhaul (or whatever), segment 26cm is... whatever, etc.

Thanks.

N.

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:21 PM »

OK,  from your sketch-

From the Spine your measurements 34cm+28cm =  62cm this is the Inhaul line

From the lower leading edge - 51cm +6cm = 57cm this is your lower outhaul

Your measurement 8.5cm - this is the Turbo

Your Uphaul line is from the point where the inhaul and turbo meet out to the leading edge with the pigtail adjustment on the middle knot - it should measure 54cm. On your sketch that will be ( I think) 17.5cm +18.5cm + 7 + the pigtail length - I hope this makes some sort of sense.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:01 PM »

Thanks Hadge.
I does make sense, although all the lengths are a bit off what you have; e.g. the Upper Outhaul is 52 as opposed to 54...
But I guess that I will not touch them because that is how they came from factory...

So other questions I now have are:
1. what is the name of the 26cm segment that goes from the Inhaul to the upper outhaul?
2. why is the turbo called turbo? And what is it used for?

Thanks!

N.

In my bag...
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 05:58 PM »

That's the keeper.  Helps stop the bridle getting caught on the keel during tricks. 

Bridle info
http://www.ian.ourshack.org/kitedesign/bridling.html

http://wardley.org/kites/bridle/index.html

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 06:08 AM »

Thanks!

N.

In my bag...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document