GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 03:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JAVA...jing-jing-jing DO I REALLY NEED THIS PROGRAM.  (Read 3333 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 28, 2012, 05:04 PM »

HELP! I KEEP GETTING MESSAGES THAT I DON'T HAVE JAVA?
After going to my new windows 7 crap of programs....it would appear that JAVA is still needed on many many websites..GEE! I LOVE THIS STRANGE WEIRDO WORLD OF WINDOWS 7~NOT!

DUMB AS A ROCK SKETCH...STILL EXILED ON A ROCK IN GIG HAAAABA WA.
Undecided Undecided Cry
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:13 PM by Sketch » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:36 PM »

You don't NEED java but as you see many websites do use it and you will be missing out on some of the features. In fact you won't be able to participate in the chatroom here at GWTW without it  Sad  Surprising it wasn't installed by default but i think our new laptop also came without.

Java and flash are two of the technologies that have given us the feature and media rich web we have today. Flash is going to be surplanted by html5 but I haven't heard that java will become obsolete. There was a day when websites wrote two different sites and redirected you to a compatible page if you didn't have java and flash, I don't think that is done as often today.

Be sure you let it check for updates and do the updates as they become available if you decide to use it. Like Flash it is another entrace to your computer for malware.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:40 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:17 PM »

www.java.com

install, you're done.   Wink
Sketch

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:53 PM »

Yes..
I too thought java would be on the default setting...but guess it wasn't...Thank Mike...U are always such a help.
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:22 PM »

Microsoft    can not  budle  JAVA  with Windows  anymore  because  SUN sued  them  and  won  cause  Billy boy  got   caught   borrowing  there  code 

Good air always Bobby
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:24 AM »

The computer manufacturer probably can though unless Sun has started asking for money for something they give away free to individuals. Microsoft used to distribute their own version of Java, probably what lit that fire.

Not like it's the first or only time M$ has been suspected of "Reverse engineering", or buying something that was reverse engineered, or facilitating somebody else to reverse engineer something. But then we don't have to purchase our computers only from Apple or IBM either now  Wink  so maybe it all works out in the end.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:35 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Sketch

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 04:34 PM »

You don't NEED java but as you see many websites do use it and you will be missing out on some of the features. In fact you won't be able to participate in the chatroom here at GWTW without it  Sad  Surprising it wasn't installed by default but i think our new laptop also came without.

Java and flash are two of the technologies that have given us the feature and media rich web we have today. Flash is going to be surplanted by html5 but I haven't heard that java will become obsolete. There was a day when websites wrote two different sites and redirected you to a compatible page if you didn't have java and flash, I don't think that is done as often today.

Be sure you let it check for updates and do the updates as they become available if you decide to use it. Like Flash it is another entrace to your computer for malware.

Right about malware...after we made a recent JAVA-LAVA-DINGDONG update on my wife's 3 month old Dell HELL 17-3 Intel Core i3 6 GB RAM 1TBHD Webcam $851.00 laptop...FROM QVC!!
After returning from vacations on the Oregon coast...THIS NEW LAPTOP HAS BEGUN BECOME AN AZZZ BUTT-BOTTOM PIECE OF CRAP! Huh
It STILL REMAINS VIRTUALLY USELESS and VIRTUALLY DEAD SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

DELL WILL NOT REPLACE IT...BUT FOR ONLY $250.00 THEY WILL GO ON LINE..TAKE OVER THE COMPUTER AND RESTORE THE  DAMAGED McALLMOST LAFEE USELESS Plus 2012 Anti-virus :'( :'( :'(MUST BE AN EASIER LESS $$$$$$ WAY TO GET THIS P-O-CRAP BACK to its original working speed?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:31 AM by Sketch » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:21 PM »

You didn't build your restore disk(s) when you got the computer? If not you can usually order a set from the manufacturer for less then any of those fees you've paid. If a full system restore doesn't bring it back to new then you have a hardware problem, contact the warranty dept.

Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:29 PM »

You're more than welcome to send it to me.  I'll even pay shipping.

Ron
Sketch

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:15 AM »

You didn't build your restore disk(s) when you got the computer? If not you can usually order a set from the manufacturer for less then any of those fees you've paid. If a full system restore doesn't bring it back to new then you have a hardware problem, contact the warranty dept.

WOW! MIKE!
THANKS!
I wasn't  home at the time wife and son installed all the hardware for her laptop and made those recovery disks..but after searching (almost everywhere) we could not find them stored with the shipping box that was in the garage closet room.

AFTER READING YOUR E MAIL THIS MORN...I started looking through all the drawers in my studio art room and FOUND ALL THREE  RECOVERY DISK'S under my Chris Botti CD's WHICH IS LOCATED RIGHT UNDER THE DRAFTING TABLE!!! Huh Huh Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Lips sealed Lips sealed
TALK ABOUT NEEDLESS HASSLES N $$$$ SPENT on local computer geeks with either limited knowledge or just needing extra funds to stay afloat with customers like me.
Sketch

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 09:30 AM »

Microsoft    can not  budle  JAVA  with Windows  anymore  because  SUN sued  them  and  won  cause  Billy boy  got   caught   borrowing  there  code 
Mike, one more question ?
After re installing the recovery disks...do you think that maybe our inexpensive little D-Link  Wireless N 150 home router might not have been installed with the wrong settings.....with out secure codes THAT COULD HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THOSE ERRORS in upgrading programs on this machine....(BECAUSE THIS MAIN COMPUTER APPEARS TO BE WORKING QUITE GOOD?)
We live in an areas with homes very close  all around us in a cultasac'  that show up with WI fi  signals almost as strong as ours and also use our comcast provider's lines?

SORRY BOUT' ALL THIS DRIVIL...after reading this I can see that after all the hours and stress of messing up my beloved wifes new little laptop is taking a HUGE TOLL ON MY SANITEEEEE'  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:53 AM »

Chances are you may have got a corrupted download OR may have shut it off during an update that caused it.
I doubt your wireless settings had anything to do with that unless it shut off during a download.
If your wireless is set to public you NEED to change it to private. Would you leave your front door open? Its the same thing.

Sine Metu!
Sketch

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 02:07 PM »

Chances are you may have got a corrupted download OR may have shut it off during an update that caused it.
I doubt your wireless settings had anything to do with that unless it shut off during a download.
If your wireless is set to public you NEED to change it to private. Would you leave your front door open? Its the same thing.

WOW! THIS LAPTOP HAS BEEN TOYED WITH BY SOOOOOOOOOOO MANY SOURCES IN THE PAST FEW DAYS! I DO NOTICE THAT THE SETTING ON THIS COMPUTER IS NOW SET TO THE NETWORK SECTION WITH THE LITTLE BENCH LOGO SHOWING!!!
..."S**T! Sad
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 08:19 AM »

If it's just an internet connection problem those often get caused by your virus program, Windows and the crap the computer manufacturer installed all fighting over which one has jurisdiction. I have fought this on a couple computers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change