GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 01:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ferule of LS in Soul... must be fixed?  (Read 815 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 03, 2012, 03:41 AM »

Hi,

Today I have taken some time to evaluate the breakage of the LS of my Soul.

Since damp_weather suggested that the ferule could have been incorrectly positioned, this was the first thing I checked.
I found out the ferule was not well glued because I made it come out very easily from the LS half that should always have it.
On taking it out I noticed that the remaining glue on the ferule showed a mark that clearly was not centered with respect to its length; there was actually ~60% of the length with glue and only 40% without.
This means that the part sticking out and that had to go through the T in the spine and then into the other half of the LS was indeed much too short!

Argh!  Angry   I now understand why the LS split open when the kite caught a little stronger gust of wind... !

Anyway, my questions are:

1. Should I glue the ferule in place? If so which type of glue should I use? CA?

2. I guess the ferule should be centered on the T of the spine and then have the same length going into either side of the LS, right?

3. In case I do have to glue it, I was thinking I could glue it to the broken half of the LS to try and make the repair stronger. In other words, put the ferule, with the glue, then wrap the whole thing strongly with kite line and then put CA glue on the thread to make it hard. Would that be OK?
Or would this be a risky operation because if the repair does not work I will then lose the ferule together with the broken LS...?

4. The ferule is 12cm long. Is this right? Should I get a longer one?

All comments will be greatly appreciated so that I can fix it asap.
Thanks!

N.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 03:46 AM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 03:59 AM »

BTW,

I found I had at home this glue called "Repair Extreme":

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-All-Temperature-Extreme-Adhesive-0-71-Ounce/dp/B000DZBHL8
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HENKEL-PATTEX-Power-Repair-Extreme/dp/B000QB6HGO
http://www.goapesonline.com/productdetails.asp?cat=Adhesives&ID=724&pID=9179

Would this be good instead of CA?

Thanks,

N.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:02 AM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 05:08 AM »

12cm sound about the right length for the ferrule. You need to centre it on the centre of the centre T - the centre T is 15mm wide so you'll need about 53mm glued into one side L/S leaving about 67mm sticking out to go through the centre T into the other L/S.  CA glue is best - the gel type gives you a few seconds to adjust before it sets ( if you need to get a ferrule out, find something to push down the L/S from the small end down to the ferrule inside and then heat the ferrule section with a hot air gun - the type you use for paint stripping - for a couple of minutes then give the ferrule a sharp tap and it will come straight out).

If the end of the L/S has actually started to split badly it really needs repalcing but if it isn't too bad I would try glueing the ferrule into the split side L/S and then get a 10cm length of heat shrink tubing and put that on over the top and shrink it to a tight fit. My Soul ( bought pre owned) has thin plastic tube on both L/S's at the ferrule end.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 08:45 AM »

use tape as a stopper on the mark, on your ferrule CA generally sets up REALLY fast and the tape helps to get it right the first time.which is highly recomended

have fun kurt
Hadge

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 09:52 AM »

use tape as a stopper on the mark, on your ferrule CA generally sets up REALLY fast and the tape helps to get it right the first time.which is highly recomended

Good point! I forgot to mention that.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 09:57 AM »

personally my choice of CA type glue to use for any kite work is Zap a Gap....the best thing about this stuff is that it is not just a super glue but it is also a gap filling glue.....so...if the ferrule is slightly-the tiniest bit- small for the rod ZaG will fill that space up and make the area solid....as opposed to other CA super glues that would coat the ferrule and coat the inside of the rod and then there might be an air space in there that is weaker....Also ZaG would fill in any potential cracks in the rod quite nicely strengthening the rod again...i have cracked a spreader due to not enough glue and then just used ZaG on it as it is, covered the crack up, and went out flying....and that rod has not needed to be replaced yet......

http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=103
this is definitely worth the price.........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 10:15 AM »

I agree with previous posts.  At an RC model shop, you can get gap filling CA (medium or thick).  Zap-a-gap is good as mentioned.  If you are repairing a spar, and have no intention of taking the ferrule out in the future, I would go for some quick set epoxy from a hardware store.  With the epoxy, you'll have to mix two parts together.

regardless of what glue you use, I would use some medium to fine grit sand paper and rough up the surface of the ferrule that will be glued. Then, when inserting the ferrule into the spreader, be sure to twist it back and forth as you slide it in to ensure maximum coverage.  I use tape on the ferrule so that any glue that pushes out can be wiped away, then I remove the tape for a perfect finish.  (if you use CA, you'll need to take the tape of fairly quickly, as the CA can set into the tape and glue it in place causing the tape to tear when you remove it). 
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 11:33 AM »

Thanks to all!
I have now bought the CA in gel format which I guess could also fill the gaps...

In any case, the first glue I listed "Repair Extreme" is also announced as filling gaps and being very resistant...

On the other hand, since the rod on which I will be glueing the ferule is the one that split, when I wrap it with kite line I will mostly be eliminating gaps also...

Anyway, I'll try it and report on my results.
Thanks!

N.

In my bag...
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 10:52 PM »

Hi,

Anyway, my questions are:

1. Should I glue the ferule in place? If so which type of glue should I use? CA?
Ca glue preferably gel type that will fill gaps

2. I guess the ferule should be centered on the T of the spine and then have the same length going into either side of the LS, right?
Correct.

3. In case I do have to glue it, I was thinking I could glue it to the broken half of the LS to try and make the repair stronger. In other words, put the ferule, with the glue, then wrap the whole thing strongly with kite line and then put CA glue on the thread to make it hard. Would that be OK?
Or would this be a risky operation because if the repair does not work I will then lose the ferule together with the broken LS...?
  This will work but I wouldn't use kite line myself.  I would use the thread for putting eyes on fishing poles or a good polyester thread.

4. The ferule is 12cm long. Is this right? Should I get a longer one?
10-12 cm is common depending on the rods and type of center T. From looking at all my kites 1.5-2 inches of insert on either side of the center T is standard

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document