GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 06:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Party summary so far  (Read 2295 times)
Revgod
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: March 10, 2012, 10:40 PM »

Hey Gang,
Folks starting arriving Tuesday (Mike MacDonald, one or two others). Wednesday another 10 or so I imagine. Thursday there were at least 30 folks here. Yesterday looked like the party had started, at least 50 folks on the field, and we had about 70 or so at Dinner at Fred's. Today was gorgeous, sunny, and about 70 I would guess. Wind out of the South (Wrong Direction) and very light. I would guess it stayed in the 5-8mph range most of the day, but rarely did we get 8. It was definitely SUL day. The lightest wind we've had for a Kite Party in years. But ya know what, I don't think anyone cared. Still, iQuad gang did a great round of demo's, as did Ron Despojado. Everyone had a great time, we introduced the new KP X Tee shirt and hat (came out awesome!), and just laughed and enjoyed the day. Dinner at Lamppost Pizza was great fun, we filled the room (about 80 folks I imagine). The Auction was outstanding with some great kites being nabbed up, but I will let the others brag about what they got if they wish. That's about it. Tomorrow supposed to be cooler and cloudy, maybe some drizzle, but again, I don't think anyone really cares, the flying is secondary. Thank you...
Dave

Steve's CTR
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:22 PM »

Thank YOU!

Thursday was AWESOME!, Enough people were there to protect our section of beach, which normally doesn't happen on a Thursday!  Grin

I had enough wind on Friday, that i really loved that lower wind on Saturday.

KP has been my best flying time for 4 years straight!!!

Grin Grin Grin
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:46 PM »

I'm just about to get in the car and drive home. Flew 'till sunset with Ozonejim.

Five days on the beach and probably the best wind overall I've ever had at KP. Too light for SLKs some times and not the best direction for rev team, but for this guy with a bag full of UL duallies it was great.

Scored a nice Sedgewick Rev 1 in the auction and flew it a couple hours today. Big fun!

I'm up for another decade of Kite Parties!

Allen, AKA kitehead
Wakeless Kites
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:48 PM »

Was really a great time, perect weather and company, made it home safe and ready to not go to the next one, the greatest non event out there.
Thanks Dave, had a blast.
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:03 PM »

A HUGE Thank YOU to Dave Shenkman for the Bestest of Bestest Non-Events Ever!

Couldn't have been better!
...We ALL appreciate all your time, hard work, and enthusiasm hosting such a WINDerFULL Party for the kiting "Family" to Enjoy!

THANKS AGAIN!  Wink

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:47 PM »

PERFECT!!   Thanx Dave and a huge thanks to everybody who showed and made this none event GREAT

Aloha until next year Kurt

have fun kurt
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:50 PM »

+1.. we had a blast. Props to Dave and all who help him out, you make this the event of the year everyone looks forward to.  We got to meet some awesome new folks plus hang out with the regulars. I'm still somewhat of a KP "noob" having only been twice, but Deanna was thoroughly impressed.  She's definitely a fan now, loved the demos, thought the auction was extremely entertaining, etc.  She's hooked.   Wink

-Mike
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 12:13 PM »

KiteParty X (ten,10,(1+9) Recap

Well, 13 days and 3000 (+-) miles I got home from KiteParty

I left Brookings on the 28th of February and headed to Tucson, Thatís a different story and you had to been at KP to be board with. But I do promise to learn how to get to KP w/o going to Tucson first.

I arrived in Orange County on Tuesday 3/6 at 9am, hung out with my son and his girlfriend
(I'm sorry I didnít get to introduce them to everybody). I got to the pier around 2pm?

I didnít see Jim/Lynn and Cass/Carol down the beach, so I launched a foil and played with the railing
and folks walking by. I would rest the kite against the rail then step back and fly away. The wind was
about 15-18, chilly/overcast.

Wednesday I got to the beach around 9:30am (a Rev only day for me), Rich arrived, then the Fosters, Pittmans, and Fran and Dick Wilson, And Tom must have showed up because he loaned me some sticks. Did some follow the leader (my 2nd attempt ever) and did ok. Until Rich would talk in my ear and make me think about it. Wind about 12-15 most of the time then 20+ later. chilly/overcast

Thursday, 12-15, I flew a stack of Trilby's (John thinks there were 11) and only 3 tails, (I hate rolling up tails)

A lot of people showed up, I forgot to bring shorts. Weather was starting to get nice.

Friday, record crowd for Fred's, winds was steady, and it was hot, the bikini's were out in full, the beach was crowded, lots of stuff flying with and  at the kites(I'll let Jim talk about that)

Saturday, wind was challenging, I was flying a 2 stack (attack Dano) of Griffin UL, good crowd, Dave unveiled the new shirt at the pilot meeting, he raved about the 5-colors, the KiteParty with X through it as a pocket logo, and the first time they were done in black
(I dont care for black myself) but there was one absolutely amazing thing on the shirt that caught my attention, and prompted me to buy some, it has my name on it!, how cool is that. (I donít know the reason there are all these other characters from the alphabet before and after MY NAME, but whatever.

It a great shirt, if you ever get a chance to score one, do!, then you'll have a shirt with my name on it. Call Dave and see if he has a few left.

I think everyone liked the (1) demo time slot, and IQuad dazzled the people watching

Son and girlfriend, arrived, and got a Rev lesson from Phil, and walked around the beach/pier. (need to introduce them around)

Auction was great, with deals and steals from the past, past, past, and present, Lampost knows how to accommodate use, hats off to that crew. My son and Girlfriend were there, (did I introduce them?)

Sunday, wind was better, overcast early then simply perfect early afternoon (kept the beach crowd count lower)

Got the nexus stack up early, the switched to a 2-stack of California Condors (Flying Things).

The round of demo, (that was not demos) Started with Bugs, then Indy and finished with Ben flying a Rev to EYE of the Tiger.

We then got the audience on the field, It took maybe 15 minutes to get the first 20 people in the air, but then only 15 more to get the last 130 flying. Absolutely one of things that makes KiteParty the best (non)event anywhere.... Thanks to Dave

Afterwards, Wes and Emily showed up and we went past the single line field to teach Emily to fly. Wes got another lesson from Phil as we were breaking the field down. Thanks Phil!!

Ruby's..... What can you say about Ruby's, They don't get it.... oh! a group of 85.... not a problem. we will seat you a tables of four, six scattered all around the room...A table of 10... let me get a manager to count for me... as soon as the balloon guy makes the slowest
hats ever....

Sorry, I think I was more mad than Dave... Maybe, Dave you should start a new place, "KiteParty Kafe" and we can just eat there.

Wes and Emily left Ruby's before I did, Did you get a chance to say good-bye, hope so.

Monday discussion of KiteParty 10.5, settle my bill, say good bye and hit the road

As always, it was better than last year. Had some newbie's, Mikey & Shari, Katrina, Stacey, Anthony, Don, Devin, Nic, and others I forgot.

Noticeably absent, Mark Reed..He opted to mess with KP Karma and.... I hope he will explain himself.

...but I digress....

I just wanted to say Thanks Dave..
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:14 PM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 02:44 PM »

IT was my first and hopefully not my last KP.  I really like the laid back non festival (yes I know bad word) attitude and format.  Though cramped everyone was great about sharing the space even though a few of us  played string around the flyer a couple times Tongue

Mike I bow to your stack superiority and will warn you before posting another video ahead of you  Cheesy  BTW Gombergs large wood crazy 8 winders work great for stack tails.

Allen thanks for sharing the room and helping make it possible for me to come.

Dave, HUGH thanks for all the work you put into this and to the others that help as well.

Sorry I didn't meet and talk to everyone, so many great people and lots of good conversation.  Thanks to everyone for a great time.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:22 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
c2thew
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 07:30 PM »

always a pleasure to meet fellow kiters from around the country.  Saturday was a beautiful day to be at the beach even though we had light winds in the afternoon.. Thanks again dave for making kite party 10 run without a hitch!

see you all next year!  I might have a video up sometime later this year.  Turns out editing with a hd pocket camera consumes more cpu power than I had anticipated.

Crandall
Weekend hobbyist
 (wish list) rev b series, white pyro delta the 20 foot model?

http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty5
http://tinyurl.com/KiteP6
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty7
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty9
KiteParty10 (coming soon)

My Kite Bag: http://tinyurl.com/795dn9g
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change