GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 04:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saber II std by " Will Sturdy "  (Read 1117 times)
Magma
Trade Count: (0)
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:25 PM »

This morning , a Saber II std session.  Smiley

Saber II std
ghfisanotti

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 04:29 PM »

Ah! the Saber II...., great kite by Will Sturdy, an absolute joy to fly. I happen to own a Saber II exactly like yours, in the same monochrome color scheme, I guess it is just by chance, cause I discussed with Will about this scheme and he told me mine was the first one with those colors (or lack of colors), he later built me a Light Saber, also in black, gray and white but as the negative of the standard, they make a beautiful set, as you can see here:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--xRyhhaL7b0/TiJO8xgb6CI/AAAAAAAAAhc/2VQlT7QMMuk/s903/_MG_1355.jpg

You can watch my Saber II in this video:

Saber II - 26-feb-2011 (2)

it was shot the very first day I could fly it, I clicked with it immediately.

By the way: apart of the great kite, some very sharp flying in your video, congratulations! I hope you enjoy your Saber as much as I do mine.
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 06:26 AM »

Very nice! Grin

Gerardo's was the first white Saber II, but there have been a few more built since.
Magma
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 01:41 AM »

Thanks ghfisanotti   Smiley

...And no problem for fun with the Saber II .
 Simply a great , great Machine :Free , hovering and precision.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 01:34 PM »

IT's definitely a fun kite with a quirky personality to it.  I had a blast smacking mine around in high winds cali wasp style.  A big draw to those that would watch is the low pitch roar the kite makes.  I had a young kid ask me how I got it to look and sound like an airplane  Cheesy
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 03:51 PM »

IT's definitely a fun kite with a quirky personality to it. 

Quirky?? You must've got the only bad one Will made  Cheesy

Mine is like everyone else's - superb flight characteristics.  Top of the "A" bag!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
tpatter

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 04:19 PM »

I would definitely agree - the kite I flew for a month or 2 was in no way quirky. 

In fact, it flew like it had a set, which, of course, it does (and then some).  Smiley

6 kite tom
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 04:28 PM »

I thought it was a rock solid kite.
Totally quirk free.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Ca Ike

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 11:49 AM »

Quirky as in able to do some interesting things like a flap jack that spins near vertical and rises a few feet because of how deep you can put the nose and still have control. Not quirky in a bad way.  I enjoyed the kite thoroughly.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 04:25 PM »

Quirky as in able to do some interesting things like a flap jack that spins near vertical and rises a few feet because of how deep you can put the nose and still have control.

You mean like on a Transfer, Deep Space, Widowmaker, Nirvana, Talon, Temptation, ....   

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Ca Ike

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 09:32 PM »

Quirky as in able to do some interesting things like a flap jack that spins near vertical and rises a few feet because of how deep you can put the nose and still have control.

You mean like on a Transfer, Deep Space, Widowmaker, Nirvana, Talon, Temptation, ....   
   THeres more to flying a kite than tossing it around in a perpetual stall doing that perfect "competition approved" trick or figure.  ITs a shame that people don't seem to explore anything other than the perfect flippy stuff capabilities of a kite these days.  SOmetimes its the imperfections in the way a kite handles or tricks that makes a kite unique and fun, at least for me, and can open up some interesting flying.  I have as much fun just ripping up the sky with the saber as I do tricking it.  BUt then again I actually like to FLY my kites. lurker mode engaged    poof
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 03:52 AM »

THeres more to flying a kite than tossing it around in a perpetual stall doing that perfect "competition approved" trick or figure. 
I always wonder what people mean when they make this kind of a statement?

I don't know about perfect, but working on recognized tricks and figures, provides a goal. The challenge is to figure out the various pieces of the trick, and then put it all together.

ITs a shame that people don't seem to explore anything other than the perfect flippy stuff capabilities of a kite these days. 
The difference between videos of today and of even a few years ago, is that people today concentrate on tricks and there is very little flying. By flying I mean cutting a sharp corner, flying a straight line, etc.... The old school fliers, could do perfect circles at speed. One of my favorite old school sequences was when the kite started from a tip stand, flew a small diamond, and then back to a tip stab, all in less then a second.

SOmetimes its the imperfections in the way a kite handles or tricks that makes a kite unique and fun, at least for me, and can open up some interesting flying. 
Again, I'm not sure what you mean by imperfection? It is interesting though to see how makers emphasize tricks or characteristics, and which ones they sacrifice in order to get their kites to perform.

I have as much fun just ripping up the sky with the saber as I do tricking it.  BUt then again I actually like to FLY my kites. lurker mode engaged    poof
I think more people enjoy going out and casually flying their kites, then they do learning to fly tricks or precision. The challenge of learning to fly precision and tricks, keeps me coming back for more.

Jay 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change