GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 11:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pro Dancer SUL: Upgrading lower spreaders.  (Read 1622 times)
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: May 11, 2009, 03:50 AM »

Hi,

To those who know, the Pro Dancer SUL is a very old kite that flies in literally nothing with tons of drive. It isn't a trick kite by any means. Even an axel takes tremendous effort.

It's framed entirely in 2 PTs top to bottom. I'd like to be able to fly it comfortably up to probably 8 - 10 mph max without any fear of breaking it in the air (just flying around not doing any tricks)

I'm planning to upgrade the lower spreaders from 2PTs to 3PTS and move the nose forward to reduce pull and increase it's drive. Hopefully it will raise its high wind range without inducing excessive oversteer Any comments on that? Would it be a foolish mod that only makes the kite worst?

-Darryl
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 03:53 AM by lasapcheong » Logged

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 05:51 AM »

I  am working  on my  3rd  Pro dance    and  I have  fown  mine  up  to  10  mph  wind  with  the  2pt  in  it   now  mind  you  most  days  when the  wind  hit  any thing  over  5   the  pro dancer  is  going  back  into the  bag   and  the  widow makers  are  coming  out  so  IMHO  you  would  be wasting your  time  in MOding the  Pro dancer

Good air always Bobby
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 09:25 AM »

They made the Pro Dancer in various weights for years. You should be able to find the frame specs somewhere. The sail is similar to a standard PD, but other than being lighter, I don't know how different.

The SUL bridle is very light weight. I wouldn't want to do a lot of flying in wind with it. The sail overall isn't reinforced for a lot of regular flying. The recent 2PT frames are more durable than the vintage ones which were done with Skinnies.

Nobody wants the old (non sul) PDs, so you might be able to find one cheap. Nice kite for sure.

The PDSUL is pretty special. I wouldn't mess with mine.

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 01:10 PM »

you can always call up Jon T at his shop and see what he has to say about this.....he made them and i know that he played around with all of the kites he made...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
bt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 03:07 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....don`t do it.
Why mess with near perfection? My PD sul is in a virtual tie for my fav sul with my 0 wind deca`s....
You`ll probably have to rebridle etc.....
I also have a PD ul...more panels, heavier bridle and is framed with Beman 14 lights. Again an absolutely wonderful kite.... The sul generally goes back in the bag if the wind picks up to 3 or 4 mph and if I`m still in the mood the ul will come out to about 7 to 8 mph. Anything more than that I`ll go with a regular framed kite and anything over 12 or so I`ll go home most of the time as I`m not a fan of higher winds at all. If I`m out in a strong wind then it`s quads all the way.
I got my sul locally and the ul from the swap meet (a certain fellow in the SF Bay area who may still have a regular weighted/framed PD...who also was/is selling more amazing dualies than most of us will ever see....I also scooped a benson reflex off him...)
So my suggestion is to see if there still is a regular PD and go from there.
Again it`s your kite so see above for my PD ul frame....don`t know what the bridle weight is but it`s about twice the weight/size of the sul.....
bt
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 05:03 PM »

Don't change a thing, it's a wonderful kite.  DaveA and I call them our "in case of emergency, break glass" kites.

No it isn't a modern trick kite, but Axels shouldn't cause you a problem, just be gentle and use more of a pull than a pop (starting a lawnmower type of thing).  Cascades are easily achieved using this technique.  PD SULs do the FLATTEST of flat spins, really s-l-o-w and graceful. If you ever coax a fade out of one (not easy), don't try and get it out, it's locked in forever

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum