GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 09:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite line set  (Read 3493 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: March 14, 2012, 10:30 PM »

Has this been done?  I don't know, I didn't see anything pop up with a topic search.  Vote what you like... state why... write in your favorite if it falls under the "other" category.  I haven't flown many different brands, but right now I'm enjoying my Prism Modulus lines.  Waiting to try a new purchase (Blue line). 

Anyway, curious to hear what people are using the most.  Just for fun!  (and while keeping things nice, I'd enjoy hearing why certain brands/options are disliked).  Ready go!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:41 PM »

as slippery as the truth in a politicians mouth; go for shanti skybond.

Fdeli
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:22 PM »

Call me old school: Shanti Speed ftw.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:23 PM »

+1 shanti speed. Slick, not "flossy" like lpg. I also like berry blue. I would like to try some new prism line.

Sine Metu!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 12:42 AM »

Considering how few of us fly with 20+ twists in the line....

As long as the line doesn't break and is within an inch in length of the other, they all work.

Sure, if you go to extremes, you will find a winner in your eyes, but for day to day flying just pull out the line that has the length you want and fly.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 01:42 AM »

As long as the line doesn't break and is within an inch in length of the other, they all work.

...and as long as it doesn't squeak and bind up after 3 turns.  All the brands I've tried have done that eventually, but generally the more pricey ones take a LOT longer to get to that stage.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 02:30 AM »

For speed and powerkites, nothing beats Liros DC lines. They are extremely strong slick and thin. plus splice able.
For XUL winds Shimano PowerPro Super 8 Slick
For other stuff either Liros DC or Shimano PowerPro HallowAce.
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 02:52 AM »

Climax Professional or Protec - very thin, very strong, lasts for ages and 20+ wraps no problem.....only downside is that the Professional is yellow which not everyone likes.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 05:30 AM »

I haven't flown Climax or Protec line sets, but of the others I prefer Shanti Skybond. I get a more directly connected feeling with it than with any other line sets I've flown.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 05:41 AM »

Same here for Climax or Protec, but so far Skybond has the edge for me.
Patchouli

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:52 AM »

Skybond

"If you do not live what you believe, you will end up believing what you live"
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 01:44 PM »

...and as long as it doesn't squeak and bind up after 3 turns.  All the brands I've tried have done that eventually, but generally the more pricey ones take a LOT longer to get to that stage.

I feel better now...I thought it was my old body squeaking everytime I moved my arms   ...:-)
Gamelord

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 03:45 PM »

The original old Skybond line was terrible.  That was 15 years ago??? (not sure of the time frame).  Talking with Daniel about the name for his new line, he said that although the old line was not good, he has always been fond of the name and felt that there would be very few people who would even remember the old stuff and chose that name for his new creation.

Happy to say that the New Skybond has absolutely NOTHING in common with the old Skybond. Smiley  It is 100% spectra fiber and as everyone has mentioned, superior in slickness to anything else I have used.  I have also felt the same direct connection with my kite over other lines.

We have a hard time keeping the Skybond on the shelves and everyone here who has tried it tends to like it much more than other brand lines.

For me, Skybond is the only line I will use now days.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 04:02 PM »

I've been flying Skybond for 6 months now - very sweet line, nothing comes close for twists.  Before that, it was always LPG - much better than anything else I has tried although it does require a considerable 'break in' period before it stops creaking like an old rusty door hinge!  Smiley

I still think that LPG has a slight edge in being a bit stiffer, but SB also provides a solid and consistent line tension as well. 

SB is also very very thin and strong, so you can use your 100# line with all your kites.

6 kite tom
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 08:42 PM »

The original old Skybond line was terrible.  That was 15 years ago??? (not sure of the time frame).... 

15 years ago? LOL ... It was the mid 1980's, '84 or '85 I bought my Skybond and a pair of Sky Claws on the original wooden frame. Spiderline was introduced in 1986 as I recall and became "The" line of choice.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change