GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 10:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite line set  (Read 3069 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 10:55 AM »

A quad line set of LPG - 4 x 90lbx120# - is 76/ $120 this side of the pond  Huh   Haven't seen dual line sets.

A dual line set of similar Climax line is around 20!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 07:50 PM »

Skybond is mine atm. good feedback, no stretch at all on any of the sets i made and so far wears well.

2nd only because its not easy to find now is the laser pro gold "comp" grade.  IT was easily 10 times better than the current LPG.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 02:53 AM »

I got a Vector lineset from Sportkitedesign when I ordered my 'Seven'. Amazingly slick, almost too slick. I can get 20-30 wraps in them before they start to get tight.

King-J

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 05:38 PM »

Shanti Speed Line is tops on my list I have tried Skybond, but I prefer Speedline Grin, I have also tried all the others, and have a lot of sets I no longer use if anyone is interested in buying Wink

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 12:55 PM »

What ever happened to the tests you were going to do on all those? Too much flying cut into your time to stretch them all out? Was a better use of time anyway ... hehe

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
dragonfly
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 07:16 AM »

Ockert Climax profiline and protec were my fav's until Liros came along ...  Lips sealed

:: a carbon framed out-of-body experience ::
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 11:08 AM »

have a lot of sets I no longer use if anyone is interested in buying Wink

I would like to try Skybond if you have a 85 ft X 100 lb set...
CV

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 04:07 PM »

I have never flown Shanti that I know of.....Have a lineset somewhere, that I picked up somewhere else, when acquiring yet another kite........LPG was always my favorite until Prism came out with the Modulus, which is LPG, I guess. It does take a while to wear in, but once that happens....it's great.  Many many twists with no noise or stickiness, but again, you have to fly it long enough to get to that stage.....Favorite is 90# X 75 ft.

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 04:36 PM »

My go-to line set is 100#/50-ft Skybond.  I friggin' love it.  This past Sunday, I was feeling adventuresome and pulled out a 100-ft Modulus set...I don't know how anybody could fly on lines that long.  Even my 75-ft set seems like it's too long now.
Revgod
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 10:42 AM »

Skybond is mine atm. good feedback, no stretch at all on any of the sets i made and so far wears well.

2nd only because its not easy to find now is the laser pro gold "comp" grade.  IT was easily 10 times better than the current LPG.
Comp is available and I have it...

Steve's CTR
Ca Ike

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 09:26 PM »

I may have to get a roll from  ya when the funds allow Dave.  I was told they discontinued it when shimano bought them out.

How do you distinguish the difference between LPG and LPG "comp" grade?

How do I know yours is "comp" grade?
LPG had 2 variations the laser pro gold and the laser pro gold Competition line (labeled laser pro gold "comp").  THe competition LPG I always got was slicker (25+wraps with no binding vs 10-20 with regular LPG) and virtually no stretch or springiness/creep (you could barely pull it 1/4 inch the braid was so tight and the pre stretch so complete) which gives it a responsiveness edge over Skybond in moderate winds. The 100# skybond I can pull up to 2 inches and it will spring back and you can actually feel it in moderate winds on strong inputs, especially if its a bit gusty.  THe actual braid between the two seems almost identical with the LGP comp just slightly thicker in diameter but its also either 90# or 110# line size.

THe other difference between LPG Comp and Skybond seems to be that the coating on LPG is saturated through the line(coated prior to braiding?)whereas Skybond seems more of a surface coating and as the coating wears the slickness gets less.  I have an LPG comp set thats at least 10 years old that is still slick even though its a bit fuzzy from wear and a skybond set thats barely 10 months old that binds at 12 wraps (not yellow anymore either but a smoky off white) and all I fly on is grass.  Skybond is still sweet line and I figure being an early batch (1st production run) the coating might not have gone as well as it should have.  IIRC PRisms modulus line is just colored LPG Comp grade line. 
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 10:00 PM »

I found out another little tidbit about Skybond yesterday.

I was cutting a 100' set down to 76' which is my preferred length.  I marked the line with a pink sharpie after pulling them and measuring to 76'.  I then cut the line and went to bend them at the mark, but could not find it.  I repeated this again noting that the sharpie marks will simply brush off Skybond.  Thank goodness - I was concerned that I was having a senior moment!  Smiley

I will concur with Ike in that, at least for me, LPG lasts noticeably longer than Skybond.  I do fly often, but the longest that I have gotten a Skybond set to last so far has been ~7 months (mostly on grass). 

6 kite tom
Ca Ike

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 12:15 AM »

AAh yes I forgot about skybond turning a sharpie into a dry erase  magic marker.  IF you sleeve your lines its not really an issue but the only way to mark skybond where it doesn't come off is to use a paint pen or auto pinstriping tape.
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 08:01 AM »

AAh yes I forgot about skybond turning a sharpie into a dry erase  magic marker.  IF you sleeve your lines its not really an issue but the only way to mark skybond where it doesn't come off is to use a paint pen or auto pinstriping tape.

hmmm.. weird... i used Bic pen ink, with no issue.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 08:40 AM »

hmmm.. weird... i used Bic pen ink, with no issue.

I used a black sharpie when I made my line sets. I didn't have any problems.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document