GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 03:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KP10 time lapse experiment  (Read 623 times)
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« on: March 15, 2012, 12:57 PM »

Recently picked up a GoPro HD and have been tinkering with it.  Still kind of working on this video, but thought I would post up the first attempt.

These were taken Sunday afternoon @ KP10, camera snapped 2270 photos over ~3 hours, set to take 1 shot every 5 seconds.  Caught most of the demos I believe, some general flying, and the public fly which came out pretty nice.

Sped up a bit from the original posted earlier.  This one probably looks better viewed in full screen mode.

KP10 time-lapse

Also took some normal HD vids with it, some of Saturdays' demos, other random stuff.  Still going through them all.  Will have to wait 'til next week though as I only have 50MB left to upload this week on vimeo.  Cheesy

thanks,
  Mike
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:05 AM by Smeagol » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:20 PM »

I felt like I had just had 5 cups of coffee.

Thanks.

Nice experiment.   Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 03:24 PM »

what program did you use to stitch the pix together?
cool!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Smeagol

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 04:44 PM »

VirtualDub.. takes a little while to get used to, but the price is right (free).  Wink At first I was using Avidemux (also free) but found VirtualDub slightly easier to use.

They seem about equal in power/features, although I'm not really digging that far into the features so far.

I may increase the framerate some and recompile it, then it will feel like you had 10 cups of coffee John.  Huh

-Mike
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 05:53 PM »

VirtualDub..

I may increase the framerate some and recompile it, then it will feel like you had 10 cups of coffee John.  Huh
If I may be so bold.... try Windows Live Movie Maker (assuming you're on Windows 7) instead. I've used it for quite a few GoPro-stills-to-timelapse-video experiments, it's extremely easy and offers enough options without getting too complicated.

(just remember to edit the Properties -> Details or you get the file path all over the video)

For timelapse videos to look smooth you need to keep to a reasonable frame rate. This one is a little bit too staccato for comfortable viewing and with the speediest setting in MM (0.03 seconds) then those 2270 pictures/frames would come out at just over a minute of video. And what you then need to get is a clockwork egg timer - stick the GoPro on top of it and get a one hour panoramic timelapse video  Grin

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Smeagol

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 06:42 PM »

Thanks Mike, will try that.  I agree the above vid is a little too choppy.  I probably should have set the GoPro for a shot every 1 or 2 seconds instead of 5, surely would have looked much smoother.

The above vid is only 3 fps, I'm playing with some higher settings right now.  I also found I had the codec quality set a bit too high which was making the file size overly bloated.

thanks,
  Mike
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:07 PM »

I started using my Android phone and LapseIt for TLV (Time Lapse Video). It's really all in one. I've found that you really need some good action going on. People moving around are the best.

Me sewing a seam on a kite (I'm _that_ fast):
Time lapse, sewing WK525

This one made it into Kiting  Tongue :
Time Lapse, setting up kites

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Smeagol

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 08:37 PM »

Awesome, Todd.  Thanks for the LapseIt tip.  Never though to do TLV on the ol' Android.

-Mike
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 10:07 PM »

Sorry, "Kite Party 10 - time lapse experiment" was deleted at 11:36:18 Thu Mar 15, 2012. We have no more information about it on our mainframe or elsewhere.

Fdeli
Smeagol

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 11:20 PM »

Sorry 'bout that, I removed it to upload the new shorter/faster version but vimeo didn't give me the space back, dang them.  Still at 50mb left for this week so I'm trying to get it to fit into that size, otherwise I'll have to wait 'til next week.

OK.. think I have one that will fit for now, waiting to upload it... should be good now.

-Mike
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:06 AM by Smeagol » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document