GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 11:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: any good hotels on the beach in Seaside Oregon  (Read 2194 times)
johnguz76
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: March 16, 2012, 07:00 PM »

I would like to book a weekend vacation for our wedding anniversary in early Aug.I would like to find something nice right on the beach where we can just go out our door to fly our kites.Anyone have any suggestions.Dates are Aug 3rd thru the 6th.Would like to book now as the later i get im sure rooms will be at a premium if i can get one at all.I know nothing about Seaside so any tips would really be helpful.Something that might be pet friendly for our Shepherd.Thanks..actually wife says we will not be bringing the dog so pet friendly wont matter.Looking online the Shilo looks nice..
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:35 PM by johnguz76 » Logged

"GIVE ALL EXPECT NOTHING"
Bill Rogers

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 09:42 AM »

We have stayed at the Shilo in Seaside. Nice hotel and the beachside rooms are nice. Great location too, walk out the back and fly kites.
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:27 PM »

Try This

Seaside

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:24 PM »

No recs here, 30 minutes from Long Beach? You know where I'm going ... LOL ... 27 miles of kiters heaven.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DGomberg

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:00 PM »

Happy Anniversary!

Shilo is centrally located (and right across the street from a fine kite store...)

If you are looking for something different, drop me an email.

David
johnguz76

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:28 AM »

Shilo it is

Katrina
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:29 AM »

Another to consider, but a different experience from the Shilo, depends on what you want.
http://www.seaside-tradewinds.com/index.htm

I've stayed there twice and I like it very much.  It's on the prom, at the far north end, right across from the beach.  It's both a plus and a minus that it's a bit of a walk down the prom to the main drag.  If you want to be right in there, stay at the Shilo.  But Seaside is a very busy place on weekends in August, so I prefer the quieter location of the tradewinds.  And still it is right across the prom from the beach, and it's far less crowded.  There's a bathroom on the beach right there, which is nice when you're out all day flying kites. Tradewinds are privately owned studio condos mostly, with kitchens or kitchenettes. The website has pics of each room.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 06:04 PM »

Shilo hands down.
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 08:35 PM »

Seaside is my least favorite Oregon Beach.
johnguz76

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 02:57 PM »

We havent booked anything yet but wife likes Shilo but i have family in Astoria so i have a 3000 sq ft house at my disposal overlooking the Columbia no charge.Wife also have relitaves in Depoe bay and Cannon beach so we can stay there too.So many choices.We can drive to fly anywhere..

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 11:58 PM »

Canon Beach is a cool little town, dunno how the flying is since I've never launched there myself, Bob & Sketch frequent there though. Stop into Once Upon A Breeze, "the oldest kite store on the Oregon coast" if you head that way to drool over the displays. They are the exclusive US dealer for Brassington Kites, plus there is some history hanging from those rafters.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
johnguz76

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 07:55 AM »

Plus Cannon beach is more photo friendly too.I plan to take a bunch.

Sketch

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 05:13 PM »

Canon Beach is a cool little town, dunno how the flying is since I've never launched there myself, Bob & Sketch frequent there though. Stop into Once Upon A Breeze, "the oldest kite store on the Oregon coast" if you head that way to drool over the displays. They are the exclusive US dealer for Brassington Kites, plus there is some history hanging from those rafters.

Cannon Beach is BY FAR my favorite getaway kite site....My twin sister and I graduated from Tillamook High School...about a million years ago.
(GADS...CAN U JUST IMAGINE HOW MUCH BULLYING' we managed to recieve to  those of us who played high school sports. OUR SCHOOL SPORTS PROGRAMS WORE THE INFAMOUSLY FAMOUS NAME..."CHEESE MAKERS"
Especially when our competitors from other schools...had MACHO NAMES LIKE PIRATES..LIONS TIGA'S N BEARS!
So many fights broke out...ESPECIALLY..when many of those players from other schools would GRIN..TAKE HOLD OF THEIR NOSES...AND YELL OUT LOUD "PEEEEEUUUUUUU! WHO CUT THE STINKIN' CHEEEEEEEEESE!
Cannon Beach is only a few minutes south of Seaside...but truly another world...NOT ONLY FOR WIND CONDITIONS BUT ALSO CLIMATE...If you don't like the wind conditions...you can travel 17 miles south to Manzanita..or to Nehalem..and 99% of the time...each location will have a different weather forcast. 
WE ARE SO FORTUNATE due to the latest technology...in  forcasting. CHANCES ARE VERY VERY HIGH...that with a little R&D from your I pod...You can enjoy good KITE FLYING nearly each n every day!

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 05:41 PM »

Where do you fly when at Cannon Beach? Any favorite motels on the beach there? Any public restrooms near the beach? Thanks.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Sketch

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 06:37 PM »

Where do you fly when at Cannon Beach? Any favorite motels on the beach there? Any public restrooms near the beach? Thanks.

The Tolavana  www.tolavanainn.com...about a half mile south of downtown...right on the beach. We however always try to book at favorite old Ecola Inn www.ecolainn.com. ....that has just remodeled...wonderful family run motel...that is ALWAYS BOOKED a year in advance. Closest to the Cannon Beach rock! However check for cancellations, since many folks get bored and want to bug out or have family emergencies which open up extra rooms.
Lots of price er' motels...but both the Tolavona has a large price range...winter rates are really great...but prices all up n down the coast in summa...soar as high as  our beloved Bob M...the Mountain man..Mt.Flyers beautiful custom kites.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:35 PM by Sketch » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum