GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 04:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: text enhance##@$@$#@  (Read 1751 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: March 18, 2012, 08:56 AM »

Hi all I have just been invaded. certain highlighted words generate a freakin pop-up that my ad blocker (Ad Blocker) and pop up software are not controlling. any ideas on getting it gone? there are a few here(gwtw) but say on Amazon there are wish lists and other obnoxious time wasters
regards irritated.. ps if you are not aware of Ad Blocker it generally works very well I recommend it for IE if you don't like ads pss I just checked this and the word Amazon above is now a direct link to some pop up
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:40 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
ko

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 10:18 AM »

IE= internet explorer i am not changing to firefox but thanx

have fun kurt
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:45 AM »

I use malware bytes anti malware. The "bigger hammer" is combo fix, but use it with caution. I gave up on internet exploder long ago, move to chrome.

Sine Metu!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:41 PM »

Sounds to me like you've allowed or been tricked into installing a Browser Helper Object or Toolbar with some recently installed software or update. PC Decrapifier does a good job of pointing those out and is a stand alone program not requiring an install or changes to your computer. Alternately you can do it yourself, goto the Control Panel and check through your Add/Remove Programs for suspicious programs then look for suspicious BHO's under Inernet Options - General tab - Settings button - View Objects button.

Google anything you think is suspicious to get info on it then remove anything you haven't purposely installed or use.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
c2thew
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:50 PM »

I use malware bytes anti malware. The "bigger hammer" is combo fix, but use it with caution. I gave up on internet exploder long ago, move to chrome.

these are what I would recommend as well.

Crandall
Weekend hobbyist
 (wish list) rev b series, white pyro delta the 20 foot model?

http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty5
http://tinyurl.com/KiteP6
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty7
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty9
KiteParty10 (coming soon)

My Kite Bag: http://tinyurl.com/795dn9g
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:09 AM »

try booting to safe-mode, then run system restore

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

ko

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:17 AM »

WELL checked  my programs (thanks Mike) and sure as ___ there it was. Its called adply and now gone. Thank you all for your help . I will run the malware as well
regards Kurt    Mr KiteKing what is safe mode? I actually know what boot means LOL
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:33 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:05 AM »

turn on computer and start pressing F8 until you get a menu, select safemode

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 04:53 PM »

Glad it was that simple. The anti malware program listed above should watch installs as they happen and just like anti virus they have a database they will check against and warn you when an install is attempting to add known garbage like that. Your virus program may not flag such things because they aren't viruses or harmfull and some people actually WANT that type of stuff.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document