GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 10:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Tricktail UL Parts  (Read 597 times)
kitekrazy
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 11, 2012, 06:37 PM »

My leading edge connectors and the sail clips are broken. Are there replacements available? If not what kind of modding can I do?

Please DO NOT contact me about selling my kites.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 08:35 PM »

I'm sure Steve will pop in on this one and give you some suggestions, he kept a stable of TTUL's flying for years. If he misses the thread send him an email at steve@gwtwkites.com . You really should replace all those parts with APA's or other LE connectors and hopefully the standoff connectors can be replaced with with Jaco's or another style too, Prism used a similar style at one time, Steve knows what works.

Even if you could find a source for the originals they are as old as yours and ready to break, I bought a new, sealed in the original bag, Utopia a few years back and the fittings broke in an hour after assembling it and hanging it on the wall  Sad  Fine fittings when new but the material didn't stand up over time, nobody knew that then though. Hope they didn't stain your sail.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:38 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kitekrazy

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 08:41 PM »

Good. I don't know which size LE connectors and I was thinking those Jaco clips could work.  I also have a Tricktail Standard. I might have to think about replacing those.

Please DO NOT contact me about selling my kites.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 05:02 PM »

THe sail grabber stand off clips are still around and a lot of companies still use them but I agree with mike change to jacos if you can
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:31 PM »

I drilled out TAPA's for the TTUL and used Jaco's for the stand-off sail connectors as they fit the holes in the sail exactly.
Used APA's Jaco's on the Standards.
And ... yes you should change out the standard fittings NOW.
I have probably done this on no fewer than 8 TrickTails.
If you need exact sizes email me and I will double check the sizes for you.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography