GWTW Forum
July 30, 2015, 05:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with a Kite Theme'd marriage proposal  (Read 550 times)
Pace12
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 23, 2015, 12:35 PM »

Hey all, I am planning pn proposing to my girlfriend of 5 year in the next few weeks. I am planning on doing so on the beach. Kite flying is a hobby of mine that was passed down and taught to me by my grandfather so I would like to use one of my Kites in the proposal.

My idea is to letter my 12 stack dyna to say "Marry Me?"

My question is how could i go about doing this? I would prefer not to make any permanent changes to the kites. Although if that is a must i may purchase an all white stack and letter them with some sort of fabric marker if i have too.

Any ideas?

Here is a recent picture of my stack for reference
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 02:01 PM »

Perhaps a parachute drop with the ring and note while

the 2 of you are flying.....  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
NWFlyer

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:58 PM »

One simple idea would be to use painter's tape to make your letters.  If you didn't leave it on for too long it shouldn't mark your kites and should come off pretty well.  Worth an attempt short of better idea.  Good Luck !!!!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 03:37 PM »

I would prefer not to make any permanent changes
every married man reading this is now laughing (and simultaneously shedding a tear)
good luck with that brother

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 04:34 PM »

I proposed with a custom rokkaku...... Why would you not want it permanent? Afterward you can spell other words like "my armer"!
Actually appliqued skins would be simple to do and then also easy to use as decoration at the wedding, babies room etc......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 04:52 PM »

Don't kid yourself you will want it to be permanent or have new skins made for them because you will be telling this story for a long time to come.

I'm so well trained, my wife didn't even make me type that:D
Congrats and good luck!

Sine Metu!
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 03:40 AM »

a custom made stack will be a lifetime of memories each time it is even assembled!

the parachuting teddy-bear drop is a very loving nice touch, but you'll need witnesses and a selfie
Her catching that floating bear, discovering the ring, accepting your proposal,... I'm getting' all teary eyed now
Fly Market

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 05:06 AM »

I've used Sharpie on ripstop to good effect. It may bleed a tiny bit, so test it first on an out-of-sight area. And it's very permanent.

As mentioned earlier, tape would also work. Insignia tape (available at http://www.flymarketkites.com/tape/ would hold really well and be very visible. Ripstop repair tape would be easier to remove, but it's semi-translucent so use a dark color. But even good ol' blue masking tape would probably do the job.

Just wondering, if she says no, do you have to cut the strings and let the kite drift away?  Cheesy
SparkieRob

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 06:01 AM »

You could get one of those "decorate yourself" rok kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
Pace12

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 06:11 AM »

I ended up ordering a new 12 stack in all white with light blue kites as spaces between words. I will either sharpie on the lettering or have something printed up and stuck on. I would like it to look nice and at this point i am all in on this so I will make it perfect.
A fellow kite flyer friend of mine whom is also a photographer will be there "flying" with me that day so we should get some really great pictures out of this.

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 07:04 AM »

you can get the aforementioned insignia tape letters precut for Sailboat sails online in different sizes....   just order the letters you need.

Well done! we expect to see pictures!

Pace12

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 07:22 AM »

you can get the aforementioned insignia tape letters precut for Sailboat sails online in different sizes....   just order the letters you need.

Well done! we expect to see pictures!

Most definitely will have pictures to share! I see you are also from MA, where abouts? I will be proposing and flying in Newport when this all comes together in a few weeks on one of the scenic beaches.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 07:54 AM »

well..Brenton Point was my local flying field for 15+ years....now I am up on the North Shore of Massachusetts in Beverly.

There is a gathering At Breton in August you might want to check out:
August 8 Saturday
Ralph J Pecchia Kite and Picnic Day
Brenton Point Park, Newport,  RI Bring food, kites fly and eat.  For details, contact Carl at cpecchia@cox.net

Carl's father Ralph loved kites at Brenton...and so this fly Carl has been organizing is a huge family gathering, but also all kite fliers are invited as well.

have you found Kites Over New England yet or the NEKITE list serv?

Oldgoat

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 08:41 AM »

I would most definitely go with the insignia letters Thief mentioned.  They stick on pretty well or you could sew them on.  If you can't find just the letters you can buy the self adhesive insignia stock and some letter templates.
Good luck.  Smiley
Pace12

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 02:12 PM »

There is a gathering At Breton in August you might want to check out:
August 8 Saturday
Ralph J Pecchia Kite and Picnic Day
Brenton Point Park, Newport,  RI Bring food, kites fly and eat.  For details, contact Carl at cpecchia@cox.net

have you found Kites Over New England yet or the NEKITE list serv?

I wont be able to make the August 8th event as we are leaving for the "pop the question" vaction the following day. I have not heard of kites over ne or nekite. I will have to look into both. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum