GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 09:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sea Devil Specification help  (Read 1356 times)
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« on: March 21, 2012, 11:59 AM »

I have a Lam Hoac Sea Devil Std. It is an earlier model with the shiny leading edge material and has Black Diamond 5pt lower spreader. I broke the lower leading edge and was wondering if anyone knows the type/size/length of the rod to use.
Thanks in advance. Smiley

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:16 PM »

5pt. But make sure you wait for a sure answer. I remember this being an easy repair.

obi

Sent from a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 05:04 PM »

Mine has a 5pt LE, too. It is also an earlier model with the same shiny material. I just got mine in the air after spending a year or so on the repair pile. Now I just have to get the Sea Devil light off of the repair pile and back into my bag... Great kite.

Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 12:53 PM »

Okay, Thanks for that.
Now, I just need to know what length? Roll Eyes

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
RobB

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 04:12 PM »

Here's what I do... if the original is too badly damaged to take a measurement off of, I remove and measure the other LLE that isn't broken. Cut the small end. I'll try to remember my tape measure when I go flying tomorrow, the Sea Devil's all ready in the car.

Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 08:03 PM »

Ed said his lower speaders were black diamond...

would it be the same for the LLE he is looking for?

i'm thinking the lle might just be a regular 5pt and not the BD. (?)

RobB

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 06:29 AM »

My Sea Devil is 5pt thoughout. No Black Diamond at all. Using BD for the lower spreaders is probably a good idea, my 5pts are so worn that you can't even read them anymore. Once again, compare the still good side to see if Black Diamonds were used throughout. My SD was made in Oct.2007.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:33 AM by RobB » Logged

obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 08:50 AM »

One of the two sticks in the LE is uncut for ease of replacement. 

It could be the lower stick?

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Charles G
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 08:59 AM »

My Sea Devil Mid Vent, which I believe is framed the same as a Std, has a 5pt LLE 28.5" long.

Charles
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:14 AM by lightnvariable » Logged

ko

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 09:39 AM »

use black diamond for the LS's because they are smooth(less bridle wear). detension the LLE on the unbroken side and pull it far enough out to feel were the joint is and measure. no need to pull it out. that way YOU KNOW the right length. if you cannot get the nock off measure the new rod with it on and deduct the diff. and then go ahead abd cut it off the skinny end as mentioned . hope this helps Kurt PS if all else fails call Lam he will take care of you

have fun kurt
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 10:07 AM »

Exactly what i was thinking too, Kurt.  Wink

If he comes down to fly with me today, that's what we'll do, if he brought it..

And i think RobB will be correct also, BD's only for the spreaders.

We'll see...

Thanks
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 10:36 AM »

Just a general point to remember if you are thinking of upgrading to Black Diamond - BD spars have a larger internal diameter than 5PT and the standard Skyshark ferrule is too small. You need to make a 4" 'spacer' from P100 (or I've used P90) and glue them into the large end of the BD spars to take up the 'Slack' so the ferrule will fit
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:03 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 03:02 PM »

Just a general point to remember if you are thinking of upgrading to Black Diamond - BD spars have a larger internal diameter than 5PT and the standard Skyshark ferrule is too small. You need to make a 4" 'spacer' from P100 (or I've used P90) and glue them into the large end of the BD spars to take up the 'Slack' so the ferrule will fit
I believe they are talking about the 5pt black diamond rods not the Black diamond nitro
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 03:48 PM »

I believe they are talking about the 5pt black diamond rods not the Black diamond nitro

Whoops, my mistake! - the only Black Diamond we get over here is the Nitro, I hadn't realised they made 5PT in the BD option too....Note to self... read the previous posts properly in future!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document