GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 01:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chico Kite Day - 3/25/12  (Read 1064 times)
mikenchico
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 19, 2012, 08:59 PM »

Sunday March 25th 2012, official times 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM but we get there when we get there and leave when were done. Community Park on Martin Luther King Jr Parkway at the 20th Street exit.

Always well attended with 3,000 - 8,000 participants or more.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
King-J

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 06:08 PM »

Looks like it might Rain Again Angry
I know we need the Rain, but it's killing me at my Business, no work no Kites Cry

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
mikenchico

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:01 PM »

Hoping it'll move through a little faster then predicted. Saturday is rain & Monday is clear, if that low moves a bit quicker or stays just a bit further north, makes for a south wind but there is no "good" direction at Community Park.

Flying in thunderstorms is fun anyway  Cheesy  ask Denny

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:26 PM »

Aw man, rain would suck.  You think people will still go if it's raining?
mikenchico

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:16 PM »

It depends on what the morning looks like, it will keep many of the families planning a picnic and fly away. We had the same type of weather though last year but the Rains held off until the afternoon so 2,000 or more people still showed up. The year it was drizzling in the morning only 200-300 people came by and few stayed for long. I still got to stretch out the sail on a new Cody that I had cut the new spars too long for in hopes of having some adjustment (they fit perfectly now after soaking the new sail) and snapped some 200 lb Kevlars on a Flexifoil 8.

We'll still go out, Bob (the promoter) will show up. We have to get our pins, my collection goes back to 1986 or 87 and Mom's is only a year short of that, Bob gets a kick out of checking out the hat she keeps them all on.

"I can show you
that when it starts to rain
everything's the same
I can show you

Rain, I don't mind
Shine, the weather's fine

Can you hear me
that when it rains or shines
it's just a state of mind
Can you hear me "

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:32 PM by mikenchico » Logged

King-J

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 05:25 PM »

If some miracle happens and its not raining, we might swing on up, if not I have plans for the 1st of the month fly next weekend, if it's not raining

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
mikenchico

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 08:42 AM »

No miracles today  Sad 

Doppler shows the rain moving off, but it's been raining steady since 4:00 AM when I woke up.

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 11:28 AM »

No miracles today  Sad 

Doppler shows the rain moving off, but it's been raining steady since 4:00 AM when I woke up.

Bummer-- I'm sorry to read that.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
mikenchico

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 02:49 AM »

Well the rain quit by 10:00 AM, we arrived just before Noon and it was a pretty nice day.

Surprisingly good turn out despite waking up to rain. Winds started out OK but decreased through the afternoon. I don't claim to be good at estimating crowds but there was a pretty good crowd between 12 and 2 maybe 500-1000 people? Probably saw at least 2,000 over the day but many didn't stay long since the sky looked pretty unstable and threatened those forecast thunderstorms at any minute (we never did get even a drop though) There were still a couple hundred people at the end of the day trying to keep a kite up. 

Met some new people to the area but long time kite flyers, Frank & Karen if I remember correctly. They were flying stuff we don't see up here and had a few dozen kites to hand out to the kids, I know that was appreciated by at least one family I helped. Hopefully they'll come out to the first Sunday fly.

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 02:48 PM »

Aw, that is really great. I was thinking about you last night-- how this was likely going to be the first-ever rained-out day in the event's pretty long history. I'm glad all y'all had a good time of it in the end.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography