GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 07:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rooted SD cards  (Read 2016 times)
oyehut1955
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: March 27, 2012, 09:47 AM »

I have a nook color and want to buy a rooted SD card but I would first like to know what the difference is between the OS:

Honeycomb
Gingerbread
Ice cream sandwich

Can someone help with this?

Thank you..  hope someone got to fly this weekend?  We took a drive up around Lake Quinault and got to see the elk 4x!!!!  I love "going home" once in awhile..

"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string"

http://community.webshots.com/user/oyehut1955
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:43 AM »

kind of a version name, note the letters beginning each tell the order too
2.3 gingerbread
3.0 honeycomb, with 3.1,3.2 also released
4.0 ice cream sandwich

some history here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

Sine Metu!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:15 PM »

As noted in this sig...

I'd recommend putting the OS on the SD card yourself. I can give you the links I used to make a dual bootcard. Boots either 2.3 or 3.0. Personally I like 2.3 better. Takes about 30 min to make the card and involves 2 steps. Second step is as I used a 16gb card with a 4gb image. I had to use another program to increase the size of the partition to use the full card. It was very easy to do. 16gb costs about $13. 4gb costs about $5.

ICS is not very complete for the nook.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
madhabitz

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 01:19 PM »

I've got the Nook Tablet -- bought it because I was told (by the sales guy) that these things can be rooted..... but it turned out that it's the "Color" version you've got that can be easily rooted, not the "Tablet" version. I'm frustrated because I was all excited that I'd be able to install an outliner app.

I *want* an outliner app like I used to have on my old Sony Clie...... but even that is a wash, apparently. I haven't located any kind of usable outliner app for Android. At this point I figure I should've just saved my dollars toward an iPad, which has several outliner apps available. Though they haven't been developed much yet, they *are* usable.

::whine whine::

The good news? I have discovered Angry Birds. I love it. The Nook makes an expensive, though awesome, dedicated Angry Birds gamepad and I'm really glad to have it. I've also discovered that aging plays a great role here. As I moved through the Angry Bird levels, I was despairing the end. What would I do then? Turns out it doesn't matter: I don't remember them. Playing them over again is like playing them for the first time. heh....

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
tcope

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:19 PM »

What would I do then?

Angry Birds Space.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
oyehut1955

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:54 PM »

thanks..  I plyed angry birds for the first time just now to see what all the hype is about..  I could surely see myself wasting time playing that on the plane.. it was great fun Tongue

On the other hand I am not savvy enough to load that stuff on the SD card myself.. after talking to the guy selling them I am going to go with the Gingerbread..

Thanks everyone

oyehut1955

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 05:57 PM »

I do have another question tho for those of you with the Nook color.. how do you get the dash? I can't find it on the keyboard.. I use a website that needs to have a dash inserted..  like in a phone number 555-5555

Steve and I both looked and cannot find it.

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 06:16 PM »

Most likely you have to long-press a key, but it depends on the keyboard.
tcope

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:36 PM »

I do have another question tho for those of you with the Nook color.. how do you get the dash?
That is a weird one. Press 123 key, ALT key and then unlock he ALT key by pressing it again and the "_" key becomes the "-" key.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
oyehut1955

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:30 PM »

thanks again I really appreciate all the help. That is a really weird way to do it.. Hmmm  seems like it could have been much easier

Many smiles,
debbie

tcope

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 08:35 PM »

Agreed but a lot of times the app/is will do the dash for you.

I'm sitting at the airport waiting for my brother to land. He can be as late as he wants. I am having fun. Smiley

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
madhabitz

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 09:10 PM »

It is a weird way, agreed, but I guess they figured that they'd be able to fit everything in if they turned it into several keyboards rather than the one. You might think of it as an ALTernative caps key if that feels more familiar.

Angry Birds Space. Thanks tcope! I checked it out and will likely get it one of these days. Descriptions include a gravitational pull which people seemed to find fun. Me? I just want those bomb birds. Oh man, they go where you point 'em and stick like glue to concrete stuff. Kaboooom! Love it. lol

Debbie, I'm glad you liked Angry Birds. I'm a late-comer to the thing, too-- kept hearing/reading references to it and couldn't figure out the big deal. I guess the deal for me is a fascination with how in the world were they able to program all of those variables. I just can't fathom that kind of brainwork. It's just amazing to watch and totally fun to listen to the sound effects. WaaHoooooo!

Saw some Angry Birds kites at Walmart tonight-- think they were X-Kites.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document