GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 08:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Kite's for Me?  (Read 2484 times)
kitegirl97
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 29, 2012, 02:38 PM »

I am looking into buying a new kite. I already own the Prism 4D and the Hypnotist. I live in Pennsylvania, where we don't usually have great wind. I was looking into buying the Zephyr but was wondering if anyone had any input on other kites that I should look into that are comparable to the Zephyr. Help please???  Smiley
tif

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 02:58 PM »

Well, I live in So. Cal, and we don't have much wind in my neck of the woods... I have an HQ Shadow that works really well in low winds for me, and I'm playing around with a Silver Fox UL... Just getting back into stunt kiting myself.  Smiley
jocko

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:59 PM »

Really depends upon how much you want to spend and what winds.  
Take a look on the BMK site to the right of the forum and look at the Mamba or look up the Widowmaker (differnt manufacture).  Both have UL's that work in light winds and easy to learn to trick with and both will run around $ 350 new +/- but good used ones come and go on the forum all the time.
Just my 2 pennies.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 03:13 PM »

The Zephyr is heavier than one would think. Although labelled a light wind kite, it really is just slightly under a standard in terms of wind.

If you can already fly without crashing, you are ready to move up to a quality UL.

As said before, the

Widow Maker UL

or any

Blue Moon UL model

would be an excellent way to go.

Plus, with the Blue Moon, you can order
custom colors at no extra charge.
There are colorizers on the BMK site for
all available models.

Good luck with your hunt and welcome to the Forum.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Dan

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 04:16 PM »

I agree I have a Zephyr and I think
 it is on the heavy end for an UL.
Check out JoE Talon UL's
kitegirl97

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 04:34 PM »

Thank you for your input so far.  Smiley Should I be looking for a better quality ultralight in place of my 4D instead of trying to find a kite to bridge the gap in wind speeds?
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 04:39 PM »

While at Blue Moon don't overlook the Exile, another great low wind kite even as a standard model. I prefer to fly a standard until there is absolutely no other option, the Widowmaker & the Exile are two standards that will take you into the upper UL territory with proper technique, the UL models will get you into the upper SUL territory without getting as fragile as 2PT framing.

There a lot of good options, Steve just announced the release time frame for the new Silver Fox 2.3 UL Pro too. Hopefully reviews will be out soon.

Take a look around, you'll have to look at it all day, what designs, graphics and colors catch your eye? Then you'll get some more directed feedback.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:41 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 04:47 PM »

A good quality standard will seem like a UL compared to your Hypnotist   Wink 

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 06:56 PM »

One question is what type of flying do you want to do. Precision or trick?

I also have a Zephyr. Enjoy flying it, but disappointed in its low wind performance. This have been a major point of frustration. If the wind drops. I have to pull out another UL.  Embarrassed

Love the Shadow, its an UL that dips into SUL territory at a low price. Very good trick kite, but has poor percision.

Blue moon kites have great percision and are made to flown. All will put a smile on your face. I have 3 and a 4th is on order.  Grin
Some models are better at tricks that others, if that is an issue for you.

The Widow Maker UL has it all. A perfect blend of all features IMO. Don't have a single complant about this kite.

All the kites listed here are a step up from what you have, so you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps. 
kitegirl97

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 08:10 PM »

Thank you everyone for all of the information. It's very helpful! Most of the opinions above make it seem like the Widow Maker would be the smart choice and that the Zephyr probably isn't my best bet. I am still searching around though and am interested in whatever other information I can get! (oh, and I am more into trick flying than precision).
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 08:35 PM »

While the WM UL and Exile ULs will do many tricks, certainly more than I can make them do, you may want to consider a kite with a higher aspect ratio (skinny) if you want to do more of the pitch based tricks (yo-yo type rotations).

In general, the lower aspect ratio kites fly better and excel at spin based tricks.

While most modern sport (trick) kites are assisted in pitch tricks by adding a weight to the lower end of the spine, these weights can make spin tricks and lower wind flying less attractive.

An excellent trick kite (and still custom color coded to your choice) would be the Talon UL, made by Jest of Eve Kites (ad on the right, 3rd one down). The Talon comes in SUL, UL, standard and vented.

There are many, many quality trick kites on the market. Your best bet is to fly with others and try out their kites. A kite someone loves might be one you don't care for.

A covey of Talons (and 1 Trident):
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:16 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kitegirl97

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 08:48 PM »

I would love to fly with others but unfortunately where I live they seem impossible to find!
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 08:56 PM »

This:

While at Blue Moon don't overlook the Exile, another great low wind kite even as a standard model. I prefer to fly a standard until there is absolutely no other option, the Widowmaker & the Exile are two standards that will take you into the upper UL territory with proper technique, the UL models will get you into the upper SUL territory without getting as fragile as 2PT framing.

There a lot of good options, Steve just announced the release time frame for the new Silver Fox 2.3 UL Pro too. Hopefully reviews will be out soon.

Take a look around, you'll have to look at it all day, what designs, graphics and colors catch your eye? Then you'll get some more directed feedback.

The Exile turns up on the Swap Meet at very reasonable prices fairly frequently, if cash is an issue, but then; you don't get to pick your colors.

It's a very user friendly kite particularly for the newer flyer.

I've flown the Widowmaker UL. It's a stellar kite.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:02 PM by JimB » Logged
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 09:08 PM »

I  am  from  Latrobe  PA      kinda  SW   PA  Kitegirl    I   don't   know  what  past  Of   NE  PA  your  in  but  if  you ever  get over this  way  I have a   Widow maker  Std and  UL   you  may   fly    if   your  down this  way   my e-mail is   listed   in my  profile or  you can  PM     me if you would   like we also hang around the chat room on most  Eve  and  most of  us  don't  Bite in  there  Welcome to  the  forum 

Good air always Bobby
kitegirl97

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 09:17 PM »

My parents live over in western PA so I am familiar with where Latrobe is (also, I know that it is where the Steelers have their training camp). I wish I got over that way more often because it would be great to try out your kites. But, I will definitely keep you in mind whenever I do get over that way, even though it's still a little drive from where my parents live. Thanks for the offer and thanks for the welcome!  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography