GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 12:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emong vs Wala / Aerobe  (Read 4737 times)
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 02:34 PM »

I will admit that three times I have had the front protruding part of the spine stuck into the ground....any strong tug would snap it....
But....the spine is easily replaceable as opposed to the leading edge rods....

My wife made me put it back into the bag "that is not going to stay assembled in the living room for weeks it?"

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Stevo
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 03:58 PM »

Ha!  What if you made a pretty picture frame and hung it in there over the fireplace?  Better than a lot of modern art!

Stevo
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 04:23 PM »

Just a day in the life of our house.........(don't need no steenking pickture frames Wink  man! )

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Stevo
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 10:25 PM »

Okay...but if I were you, I wouldn't light a fire like that!

Besides, look at all that white space above it Smiley

On a kite related note, I hadn't realized how big the emong is compared to the Laima...oh, and is that a chiropta to the right?
thief

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 03:25 AM »

Yes the emong is a good sized kite......
And I think that's his chiro next to it.....

onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 08:03 AM »

Ok, picked up an Emong and it arrived today.  Perfect Saturday for a new (light wind) kite; 18mph winds, overcast and rainstorm coming and the grass has got to be mowed before the rain.

BUT-I now have my very own Arobie, Wala XL and Emong to try out.  Going to pull them all out one afternoon and see if I can tell any difference.  Based on my (lack of) skills a review might be somewhat meaningless but one might come in the next couple of weeks anyway.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 08:34 AM »

I have been thinking about adding a windless single-line kite such as an Emong, Chiroptera, Wala XL, or equivalent. I'll probably only buy one for starters. Of those that you have flown, which do you prefer and why?

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
thief

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 08:56 AM »

Ken here is some writeup that i did awhile back on a bunch of kites:
http://windsweptkites.blogspot.com/2009/10/ultra-light-single-line-kites-genre.html

There are a bunch more than what you have listed as well...the Emong will be great if you are looking for flying in very very little wind....it can handle gusts very nicely as well.   The wala XL i was not much of a fan of...Chiroptera is a great one for gliding in xUL (extra UL) winds but it can fly stable as well above 4-5mph....
If you want a different shape look at the Zero G from Prism as well.
more fun shapes are ones like the Pterodactyl from Karl Longbottom as well that fly VERY well in 1mph and up as well as indoors...

Charles G
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 09:23 AM »

Of the three kites you mention, I only have experience with the Chiroptera and I would highly recommend it as a first low wind kite. From what I've seen of the Emong and the Wala, they seem to have a faster pace than the Chiroptera, which for me defeats the purpose of a glider kite. The slow glides are what impress me the most with the Chiro. It can fly in no wind or up to 10mph, although I usually put it away when the winds pick up over 5mph. Just so I don't appear too biased, in addition to the Chiroptera, I also have a Long Way Home, a Skate, and a Zero-G, but I find myself flying the Chiro more than the others.

Charles

Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 07:25 PM »

I have a Wala Aerobe and a Chiroptera.
I used to have a Focus Skate.
I've never flown an Emong.
I usually fly the Wala in light winds with a 24ft. transition tail.
I don't glide it much anymore because I prefer the way the Chiroptera glides around.
I sold my Skate after getting the Chiroptera. Plus the Chiroptera is rated to handle winds up to 10mph. Which is good for the gusty High Desert winds I live in.
It glides great and stays put if you just want to stake it to the ground.
I am on Will Sturdys list for another Chiroptera.   Grin

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 04:54 AM »

We have both Walas, Chiroptera, E-mong, Liama, and the Zero-G.
So far for gliding the Chiropt stands head and shoulders over the Flying wings and the Jury is still out on the G.  (haven't spent much time with it yet, but it feels promising)  Of the FWs I prefer the Liama for gliding and the Aerobe for flying pasted in the sky.

Personal preferences, I'm sure...........but in my opinion the toughest one of all of them is the Emong, and should be a strong contender for the first active SLK/glider in one's bag.

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 03:13 PM »

Thanks for the opinions, preferences, and recommendations. I wrote an email to Will Sturdy (will@sturdy-designs.com) inquiring about a custom Chiroptera. That kite would be my first preference; however, depending on Will's order backlog, it sounds like the Emong would be another excellent option and is probably in stock in all colors.

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document