GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 08:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question About Lines...  (Read 769 times)
tif
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 29, 2012, 08:59 PM »

I know this isn't the most original question ever, but....

I feel totally stupid.  I went out to fly my Silver Fox UL a couple weekends ago, and I forgot to look at which set of lines I had out.... The winds were supposed to only be 8-10 mph (yeah right, the gusts had to be 15 or 20)... I think the line set I snapped was 50 LB, but I don't remember because it's been so long.  It's the set that came with my HQ Shadow (which I got second-hand a long time ago).  I got caught by surprise by some really strong gusts, and down went my kite (don't worry, he's fine).  I wanted to do SOMETHING, though, and I figured the little junker kite I got for free would do better in the winds.  But the lines had yellowed badly, and they snapped pretty quick.

So, now I have one set of lines (I think 90 LB... They came with my Silver Fox way back when).  I don't know what to buy (how long, what strength, what brand).  Help?
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 09:10 PM »

Tif,
Sorry for what happened and welcome to the sport.
50lb is quite tough but not ideal for winds over 8ish. Now depend on the length too.
Your SF Pro UL will fly fine up to the 8mph and i will not take it out over this. On 75-85' 90lb it will be very nice flying this setup.
Now on lower winds let's say 2-5mph, i will switch to 50lb but shorter. 0-3mph i will use same line but on 50' but this is lots of walks and work out but is fun too on shorter lines.
For any kite UL or STD, in winds over the 8-10mph i will use 110-150lbs lines on 75-85'. This is a common strength and length for these kite in those winds.
So resuming all this, what you would need now is a set of #50-50', #90-75' and #150-85'
Now you cover all the wind range and quite ideal for your kites...

For me above the 10mph i pack up my Lovely duals and step into the Dark Side with my Rev  Cool

Hope this help you and have great fun Smiley

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:23 PM »

LPG or Shanti are the top brands.  90-100# is what most of us use for anything but really low or high wind.  As far as length goes it depends on where you fly and how much room you have.  ME personally I prefer 75-125 feet and usually fly on 125s unless the soccer nuts are at my field then I go to 75 or 100 feet.  THe prism modulus line Steve sells is really good line as are the regular prism sets which are made by LPG.  Kent at wind of change has LPG and shanti speed line in premade sets or you can step up to the shanti skybond line.   Since your just getting back into it I'd go for 85-100 foot if you have the room to use them.  YOu'll have a good size wind window and more time to react than 75 foot or shorter.

IF your tight on finds and they haven't sold yet NOrm has some good line sets here http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7048.0  They are factory RTF package sets but still decent spectra line.
tif

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:58 PM »

Thank you both!

The winds in Riverside are usually pretty close to nonexistent. I'm usually lucky to get 5 MPH winds during the 50 weeks a year the Santa Ana winds are on break.  Which is why the windy gusts were weird.  The weather down here has been wonky this year, and I never know!  The weather channel said 5-10 MPH winds, but the winds really picked up hard and fast.

So, for light winds, it's probably worth getting a 50# set at 50', then a set or two at a higher strength and longer length, right?
Hadge

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 01:11 AM »

I use 50lb X 60' for the Shadow, 90lb x 80' (x2) with my standards and 150lb x 100' for my vented when the winds get strong. The 90lb set covers 95% of my flying. I do also occasionally use a 220lb x 120' set with my Delta Hawk when the winds get really silly but it pulls like a train!!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum