GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 10:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Gomberg kites.  (Read 1784 times)
shrooms
Trade Count: (0)
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:39 PM »

The guys came up with new Gomberg Flick, Glite, and Soar kites with coming soon soon pictures. I'm very curious maybe somebody has any information about the Gomberg's?

*Kite Shoppe*

*Direct link removed*

Please do not post direct links to commercial sites.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:31 PM by Steve » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:59 AM »

You may be thinking of the gliders being released by David Gomberg.

Here is a photo of a few of the gliders from KTAI. Gomberg kites can be ordered through many retailers, not just the one you listed inadvertently. Frankly, they look a lot like the Wala kites and one of the models shown is within an inch in both directions of the Wala original.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 08:27 AM »

Yes those would be the Gomberg kites, and as Dave always graciously mentions "All Gomberg / G-Kites merchandise is available from Gone With The Wind / Chico Kites" and most likely your local dealer or any other kite retailer.

The Flick & Soar do appear to be refinements of the Wala.

Dave's third kite in the series interestingly enough resurrects the name of arguably the original dual line kite from 1966, the Glite - see the picture below, do recognize any similarities? ... LOL ... Peter Powell added the spreader in 1972 then Albert Chen added a bit of curvature to the spine in 2008. I could post the construction details too, but how do you say it? "The more things change the more they stay the same" ? 

Seems appropriate somehow

Will It Go Round In Circles Billy Preston 1971 Original Song Early Edition For Bangladesh Charity

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:44 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 12:37 PM »

<tangent>
Oh boy, all that hair, all those delicious memories. Mr. Preston has the best-ever smile-- one that makes me smile everytime I see it:

</tangent>

.... an Aerobe by any other name. It's all good to my way of thinking.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
shrooms
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 01:22 PM »

I thought maybe the kites related to Jeff Howard's kites.
Next generation of Wala which is a great kite with much better graphics than Wala's is also good news.
I really appreciate your effort guys bringing up all aspects and history of the Gomberg's kites.

DGomberg

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:11 AM »

Hi Guys! Thanks for your interest.

The Soar and Flick were designed for us by Kevin Sanders. The Soar which Mike posted above is an 8.5 foot kite. (The Aerobe/Wala shown next to it is 64 inches, I believe.)

For the Glite, we did indeed choose a name from back in the 60's of a maneuverable kite made here in Oregon.

Specs and details are in our catalog at http://www.my-catalog.biz/GKites/. The Gliders should be here late spring and can be ordered from GWTW.

David
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 09:29 PM »

Hi Guys! Thanks for your interest.

The Soar and Flick were designed for us by Kevin Sanders.

Yes, a lot of kites have similar silhouettes to each other.  Widowmakers, Nirvanas and Sabres are almost interchangeable from that point of view, but boy do they fly differently  Grin

When the Aerobe first came onto the market, some folks unfairly compared it to the Skate/Manta without really investigating what made it different.  Fortunately, by the time it was renamed the Wala, it held its own unique place in the sky and in kite flyers hearts (and kite bags).  Compared with the Wala and Wala XL, the Soar and Flick don't have curved spines and cambered sails, they don't have molded plastic dihedral noses, the double cross-spreaders sit at the rear of the sail only, they have a different bridle setup and they are higher aspect ratio. 

The sizes are similar, but as any amateur builder who has made a sport kite will know, delta size is mainly a factor of the length of the spars you can buy readily.  Two spars per leading edge is the common starting point, or one and a half when you go for the smaller version ( hence the 6 foot or 8 foot sport kite back in the 90s and 00s )

Last November I flew a Wala for the first time and discovered that the Soar and Flick fly differently to the Flying Wings offerings - but they are all really nice kites.  I guess we should all stop and thank Paul and Hunter for bringing us back to this style of flying  Wink

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 02:05 PM »

I guess we should all stop and thank Paul and Hunter for bringing us back to this style of flying  Wink

Or Ken McNeill for the 61/49, It's a different and more challenging beast then the others but I believe it predated the Manta/Skate in the single line maneuverable no/low wind category and is still my favorite kite out of all the ones I've flown.

Picture Credit to John Chilese

[attachment deleted by admin]

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document