GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 02:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: thanks ken for all the great kites  (Read 3893 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 08:17 PM »

Was really hoping this was april fools joke. I also regret not getting the mojo ul. Thanks Ken for all you have done!
ARE U CERTAIN...THIS ISN'T AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE? Cry Cry Huh

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:24 PM by Sketch » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 09:34 PM »

Ken: We wish you all the best, and hope our paths don't diverge too far and cross again someday. You're an inspiration to many in kiting, don't stray too far.

Have you ever worked with Bamboo? I know of another cottage industry that requires craftsman of your caliber, dedication and attention to detail ... and it probably won't make you rich either.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 02:02 AM »

Was really hoping this was april fools joke. I also regret not getting the mojo ul. Thanks Ken for all you have done!
ARE U CERTAIN...THIS ISN'T AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE? Cry Cry Huh
It's not a joke,

Jay
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 03:42 PM »

Ken says it best

As you may know, Iíve decided to close my business, Blue Moon Kites.  This has prompted a relative flood of kind words and good wishes.  Thank you, one and all, for your thoughts.

The closing announcement has also brought a small wave of ďjust one moreĒ order requests.  Iím sorry, but there will be no more orders, and no more BMK kites.  At some point, you just need to be done, and this is that time for Blue Moon.

Iíve spent the last 20 years either making kites, or making the stuff that goes into them.  Itís hard to see the time before as belonging to the same person that I am now.  Even harder to imagine, is the time ahead, without a little splash of color and grace on the breeze.

What this closing doesnít necessarily mean is that there will be no kites from me.  If Iíve learned anything over the years, itís to never say never.  Iíd like to continue to build some single line kites, and perhaps push the artistic end a little further than in the past. I still have designs floating around in my head that Iíd like to see in the sky some day.  I canít say what or when, so no point in probing. ;-)   I can say, that if it happens, the where(?) is here.

so wanting a Ichiban

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 03:53 PM »

I lusted after an Ichiban when he first brought them out....and did not get one...then he took them off the building table and i lusted after it even more....i started a mainstream campaign to get one...even sold off some of my loved Guildworks Decas to get the funds ready....and then Ken emailed me....that was about 2008....I have treated that kite like the queen it is...granted the 61/49 has experienced a little bit rougher lifestyle (but he seems to like it)....

Ken will always have a place in my heart for helping me get one of my most honored kites....

If an Ichiban EVER comes up for sale grab it as fast as you can....ask for permission to spend the money after you have spent it on the kite....it is well worth the tongue lashing!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 03:58 PM »

If an Ichiban EVER comes up for sale grab it as fast as you can....ask for permission to spend the money after you have spent it on the kite....it is well worth the tongue lashing!

In a nutshell..........AMEN!

Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 04:27 PM »

In a nutshell..........AMEN!

Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad
Surprisingly I have seen an Ichiban come up for sale twice that people were actually debating about getting...............some people Tongue

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 04:40 PM »

i hope i get a chance at getting a Ichiban
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:53 PM by PUZZLE » Logged

shrooms
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 05:36 PM »

Ken you suppouse have told us a month before that you gonna leave.
Anyway, good luck with your new beginning.
kitebug
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 06:10 PM »

Bummer.......

Good Luck to Ken on all new projects and plans.

Love, Cisco

Volando!
Cisco
reddobie
Trade Count: (+33)

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 06:31 PM »

Sorry to see you go, but thank you for all the great kites.  I love the bag that come with my new UL Mojo.

Mark

Sent from my htc EVO using Tapatalk.

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 08:07 PM »

this is a proto and one of VERY few kites that i have held onto THANK YOU KEN

have fun kurt
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 02:57 AM »

I've been away for a few days; this is very sad news to return to. Ken is one of a handful of the very, very best kitemakers in the world and there aren't many left in business.
Sad news for us kiters but lets hope its the start of a new and rewarding chapter for Ken.

Hal
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 07:13 AM »

All the best to you in your future endeavors Ken.  I have, and will continue to enjoy all your kites that I am privileged to fly.  The AirFX and Ichiban are still my favorites   Smiley

Hal
Helena, MT
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 12:04 AM »

Thanks for the great kites Ken, got a lot of hours on the AirFX and Exile especially, as you know. Smiley

Best of luck for the future, and I can wait to see some new project kites for us to ogle, even if folks can't buy them.

Regards sir!

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum