GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 10:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MOdeling program for kites  (Read 670 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: April 01, 2012, 01:03 AM »

I'm looking for a good resonably priced program for 2d/3d design and modeling.  WHat programs do you guys use or recommend. I'm planning on using it for anything from kite designs and banners to custom decks so it has to be able to take a 3d model and convert it to 2d plans.  AUtocad and solidworks are way out of my price range.  I know a few of you our there make  your own kite designs so help me out here Smiley
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:58 AM »

For simple 3D modeling, sketchup by google works quite nicely. I do 3D renderings of my sport kites with it. Runs on OSX and windows

Autocad really is the best tool for making 2d drawings. Draftsight is a free program that is basically a clone of autocad 2D. It's not quite as nice to use and there are a few little bugs here and there, but overall it works nicely. Runs on OSX, windows, and linux.

I'm still looking for a decent 3D program for linux.
kitebug
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 09:28 AM »

I can tell you what I know if the ones I use every day for work.
Google Sketch up is great, the free version will do everything but export to .dwg or .dxf so you planed on taking you file into others for more detail printing then you need to buy the pro version. Which also includes Google layout, this links directly with SU and you can then plot to scale your sketch up models.
This will work great for your custom decks. However for kite design will be a bit trickier, this is because of the nature of the modeling engine for sketch up which is surface based, and not parametric, so for strait forward 3d items its awesome, but for a kite and the way the sail changes shape from its flat position to the 3d when its built it will take some effort but could be done it will be tricky though. (I have tried it)

Then there is “Autodesk”, AutoCAD and Revit and Autodesk Inventor (comes with AutoCAD) Revit and inventor are parametric and you can assign sizes and retain them for future and assign tags and list the parts, as this is what they are made for you to build off of. Shaping the kite will still be tricky and this is just the nature of the all the oblique planes that the sail takes once they take 3d shape. In Revit you could use the Mass Modeling then assign the face to be the material (i.e. kite sail) then be able to view each panel individually. (But you already said this is out your range, and this is true they are pricy; I have them all because I use them at work every day)

I would suggest SU for free then if you like you can get the pro version which is only like 400 bucks. (But like I said it may not resolve everything you’re looking for)

Volando!
Cisco
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum