GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 01:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TNT with Night Lights  (Read 2502 times)
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: April 02, 2012, 06:01 AM »

Hi,

Saw a previous post of a Deepspace with Night Lights. Something similar here. A friend of mine is currently experimenting with some DIY night lights for stunt kites. Here's a quick video with a TNT.

TnT in the dark

Enjoy Smiley
-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:06 AM »

I think I saw a Tazmachine...  Wink

Nice
But you can see the unbalance in the kite during the tricks
lasapcheong

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:09 AM »

Last I heard from him, the kit itself weights a whopping 16grams. Kite in the video is a TNT UL. I think the default tail weight may have been removed for compensation but still yeah, it should be heavy under those inland conditions.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 09:31 AM »

Neat - I will have to figure out how to do this for festival night flys this summer.

I'd love to see a fast in-place or rising comete with these on. 

Tom

6 kite tom
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:34 AM »

I dabble in flashlight technology, LED light engines and such. 

It seems that everyone makes the same mistake in choosing too big of a battery.  Even a CR123 battery is too heavy.  If I was going to rig this up, I would at least step down to a AAA sized 10440, or even the smaller CR2 size (10180?).  Granted this is a run time of minutes, but if you are doing this, you have start with the idea of keeping the flight characteristics intact.  That necessitates working within the range and distribution of weight already present in the kite.

Still, the latest couple protos showing up are great starts.

Give me till the summer.  As soon as I am back in the Netherlands, I am going to give this a college try with some ideas I have stewing.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
misterbleepy
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:07 AM »

The main problem I have had with weight so far is actually finding out how much some of these parts weigh before buying them. Do you know how much a AAA sized 10440 battery weighs? I'd be interested to know, as lighter would be better. My CR123 rechargeable battery weighs 17g (and then there's the little battery holder, velcro strap, wires etc) and replaces the standard Deep Space 15g tailweight. One aspect of my rig is that there is no additional circuitry between the battery and LED's - luckily that doesn't seem to be a problem - the battery has enough volts to make the LED's light up nice & bright.

16g for this rig is pretty damn light - any news on what battery is used?

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
lasapcheong

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:48 AM »

16g for this rig is pretty damn light - any news on what battery is used?

A CR2023 was used from what I gather

-Darryl

PAW
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 04:02 AM »

Great !
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 02:29 PM »

How about one of these?

3.7v - 380mAh - 8 grams - 48mm x 30 mm x 3 mm - and you could use self adhesive velcro like a Skyburner tail wieght and put it right in the spine flap. Rechargeable and available with the charging protection board if wanted. They have lots of other sizes available (click the picture), say one at 13 grams for 680mAh - 39mm x 29mm x 6mm. I'm guessing that would run 2 LED's for around 20 minutes? I'm not an electrician, maybe somebody is? The small LED's we would be looking at have a maximum 20mA continuous current rating at 3 - 3.5 volts
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:35 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
jecko

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 05:29 PM »

I've personally have seen the light set-up for this one (TNT). He told me it could last more than an hour, maybe two hours top.
As you probably notice, the lights are concentrated on two points on the sails. He currently trying to find LED could illuminate the whole kite instead.

the set up.
two LED light are attached to separate stand off connectors.
the rig are made as such it could be snap-on to the spine or lower spreaders(TNT only)

Wink
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 06:30 PM »

I always look at these and think of how cool they would be to fly on the beach at night but I worry about the random dufus walking down the beach between me and the kite and me not see them

Sine Metu!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 01:01 PM »

... As you probably notice, the lights are concentrated on two points on the sails. He currently trying to find LED could illuminate the whole kite instead...

You're or He needs to be looking for "Straw Hat" LED's the standard rounded LED's focus the light into a small point, A Straw Hat LED actually has a concave lens which spreads the light, some as wide as 160 degrees. That should light the whole sail with two.

There are Straw Hat LED's out there with the rounded lenses also since the term has come to refer to any LED with a wide light dispersal. A quick Google will you headed in the right direction.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:15 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 02:40 PM »

an XPG (Cree) on a star would be a nice floody solution if you are already running 3.7v, right?

This is a great LED even at low currents.

Not sure if my flashlight guy has met my kiter yet, but they will meet in the summer.

Sent from a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
jecko

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 05:16 PM »

Thank you, Mike and Obi..

Will google the LED the you guys mention and see if I get them here in Singapore. Smiley

If we manage to get them, will post pics of the finished prototype.

misterbleepy

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 02:41 AM »

How about one of these?

3.7v - 380mAh - 8 grams - 48mm x 30 mm x 3 mm - and you could use self adhesive velcro like a Skyburner tail wieght and put it right in the spine flap. Rechargeable and available with the charging protection board if wanted. They have lots of other sizes available (click the picture), say one at 13 grams for 680mAh - 39mm x 29mm x 6mm. I'm guessing that would run 2 LED's for around 20 minutes? I'm not an electrician, maybe somebody is? The small LED's we would be looking at have a maximum 20mA continuous current rating at 3 - 3.5 volts

I considered using one of those on my rig, but was worried about the pack bending and then failing - apparently LiPo batteries can catch fire/explode if they get damaged internally (through bending or being pierced). That's why I picked a battery in a hard metal cylinder with built-in protection circuitry - hopefully much more likely to survive my flying style without setting fire to my kite

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum