GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 12:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help !! I am trying to "Slide"  (Read 1188 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: April 02, 2012, 08:44 AM »

Well the hot weather is gone but not forgotten.   Wink Wink Wink

Spent the day at the Beach Practicing,Practicing,Practicing....

I started to try and figure out the "Slide".  I was everywhere for a while.  Then it seems when I dive down from the right side.  And POP the sail it started to float.  I look back at camera at one point before doing it semi-right.  I had a couple really LLLong one's but No Video (NoMas).. 

I can use some feed back ..............  Hand position etc. etc. Which way do you walk or do you stand still Huh I keep moving side to side am I correct ??  Am I right in PoPPing the sail as I turn Huh   Vertigo Out !!!

Also any Videos Huh

help slide
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:47 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:26 AM »

Get the kite horizontal or slightly off so and then think 'ship rudder'. 

You want the wind to lightly pull the sail by modifying the angle of the sail to the wind and maintaining the horizontal position by modifying the wing/hand in the back only.  At least this is how I do it.  Also, many kites do it much better than others.  A big flat sail and low wind work well. 

Oh yeah, you also need to walk in order to keep the kite stalled.

Good luck!

6 kite tom
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 05:17 PM »

You shouldn't need a pop as you come out of the downturn into the slide. Usually, the goal is for a smooth transition from turn to slide in order to maintain the turn's momentum into the slide without any excess footwork or hand movement.

Assuming you want constant height for the slide, walk forward if the kite tries to gain height or fly up out of the slide, or, walk backwards if the kite tries to sink in the slide towards the ground. If the wind is light, you may have to walk forward in the center part of the window and walk backwards at the edges of the window. As mentioned by someone above, make fine tuning hand adjustments with the trailing wing to maintain level wing tips. The hand for the leading wing is closer in to you and the hand for the trailing wing further out from you, "the rudder" mentioned above, to push the kite sideways in the slide.

Practice slides from both sides. When you finish going one way, pull the kite up and do another downturn to initiate a slide the other direction. While learning, you may want to keep your window narrower at the end of the slide rather than trying to squeeze every last inch out of the slide. That will give you some power for the upturn then stretch out further to the edge of the window as you downturn to slide the other way. The turn's momentum will get you through the light wind conditions of the edge of the window. As you learn the footwork and hand movement balancing the slide so it's smooth and constant height, you'll be able to stretch the end of the slide further out in the window.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:38 PM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 05:31 PM »

Power Kite Slide

Okay, just kidding. What I really meant to show you
is the tutorial bit from the Prism Freestyle Pilot video:
kite side slide
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:33 PM by madhabitz » Logged

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 11:30 PM »

...  many kites do it much better than others.  A big flat sail and low wind work well.... 

See if Jon has a Trick n Track laying around, even the Premier model, in a smooth low wind mine will slide until next Thursday.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 04:47 AM »

I don't know... it looks like you have it, just need to work on refining (minimizing) your inputs. Try to avoid oversteer, it's kind of like driving on ice. Don't forget to walk forward a little bit, too.

jaydub

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 05:04 AM »

You are doing better with side slides then I am after five years of trying.

It's just one of those tricks, I've never mastered.  I can see some parallels in terms of your worst attempts, but your better attempts are way better than mine!

I suspect I'm bringing the kite round too quickly and stalling it.  Eric's suggestion that this needs to be a smooth transition seems to be good advice and something I need to practice.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 06:28 AM »

...  many kites do it much better than others.  A big flat sail and low wind work well.... 

See if Jon has a Trick n Track laying around, even the Premier model, in a smooth low wind mine will slide until next Thursday.

Or if you know anyone with a Proph, Vapor, TrickTail, Total Eclipse or even a Thors H.  All of these guys will slide pretty easily in low winds.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 07:10 AM »

I've always used a bit of a pop too for the slide, but to each is own I suppose. Everything's subjective.

Joe, when I'm home for a few days over summer I'll bring my Tramontana2000 and see what you can do with that. That ones another slide machine. Or any of Jons older kites on the skyburner line, if you have access to one.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
John Welden

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 02:11 PM »

Doesn't look like you need much help, just practice a few zillion times.

I think the down turn and pop or whatever you do is over rated. It helps to start the slide, but it's not like the momentum from that move helps it slide very far.  It's up to you to make it slide.

I'd say the most effective way to learn is indoors or in very light wind. That way you control everything and don't have to deal with bumpy wind. The only thing that makes side sliding hard is wind that isn't smooth. If you had perfectly smooth wind, you could lock in a side slide and make almost zero adjustments.  Just like a sail boat sail. Set it and go.

An older school low aspect kite with a shallow sail will be the easiest. (trick tail god of side slides) Modern high aspect deep sail kites are a lot more unstable and have more resistance to going sideways.

(if you stall the kite and walk in the direction of the slide, that's not a side slide, that's stalling the kite and walking sideways. You want to use the whole win window - 180 degree arc. )

It's probably my favorite trick of all time.
doddg

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 07:05 AM »

SPIN LAND/SLIDE from Flight School Basics. Looks like you are on your way with the slide, you are doing great! Just use a tight spin and keep your inside hand at Neutral, big sweeping pull back with outside hand, pushing back to neutral quickly....move in as you start the slide. Practice your spin stall as well  from the lesson. Its all about the timing.  Best wishes, dodd
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography