GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 01:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Web Site Builders  (Read 2939 times)
firecsi
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: April 02, 2012, 11:04 AM »

Does anyone know of any good do it your self web hosts?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:23 PM by JimB » Logged

Tobie

I live, I fly, I am
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 02:15 PM »

Go Daddy....
CV

kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:10 PM »

Contact

John Barresi at kitelife

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:06 PM »

I use HostGator for my personal site and my wife's business site.  Happy with the hosting.

http://secure.hostgator.com/~affiliat/cgi-bin/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=elennep

link takes you to host gator and give me credit for the referral.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:37 PM »

My professional website is hosted by 1&1.

The website is built on a simple template, but doesn't work on Safari.
So all my updates are done in Firefox on my Mac.

Overall, I'd go somewhere else, had I the need to do it all over again.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:15 PM »

Contact

John Barresi at kitelife

+1 for JB on Kitelife.com..
He will assist you and build your concept from scratch..understanding all your needs and ideas

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
onlye

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 04:52 AM »

Are you looking for:

A hosting company?
A web development tool?
A hosting company with a free web development tool?

Are you interested in loading additional scripts/apps?  ie. CMS, Photo Albums, CRM, Bulletin Boards/Forums

eric
Kitelife

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 12:05 AM »

Our portfolio site... Wink
http://www.codemunk.com

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
firecsi

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17 PM »

Thank you all for the good info. I would love to have Jon do my web site but I am on a No Budget, Budget.  Grin
Just looking for something i can do myself that still looks good and has a good shopping cart. I'll let you all know if i find something great.

Tobie

I live, I fly, I am
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 12:39 PM »

There are lots of web hosting sites that offer reasonable deals and often include a section that allows you to install a variety of scripts to your website. Some of these scripts (think of them as software programs) might include blogs, calendars, forums, image galleries, and shopping carts.

Installation is pretty much auto-mode, but you'll probably want to tweak things to make it your own. When you get to this point, you are in for some cramming-- you'll need to visit the script's website to get answers to questions you might have. If you want them to take you seriously and put the time into helping you out, just like most anything, you'll be expected to put time into learning this stuff (terminology and how-to's).

It's pretty fun stuff, kind of confusing at first, but it is very do-able. Another way to design your website and learn a lot at the same time is to get an HTML program. You can find a lot of freebie and/or shareware programs at places like Tucows.com. I always liked the ones without a ton of bells'n whistles-- just a step or three above the NotePad app. I eventually really got into
DreamWeaver 3 (*loved* it), but then they "fixed" it and it's just not the same. Well, either that or I am just set in my ways.

You might start with something like the CoffeeCup freebie HTML editor, then others like it. Try several-- one is bound to feel right. Also, you can also create and publish webpages from MSWord. I have a huge hate on for it because I've never ever seen it do a good job of things and usually makes your job worlds harder than it should be.... not to mention the fact that output from that program tends to make a mess of things when using a browser other than MSIE.

Have fun!

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
firecsi

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 05:28 PM »

Nancy,

Thank you for all the information.

Tobie

I live, I fly, I am
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 11:43 PM »

You're welcome. It's a load of work, but it's fun stuff getting to a place where you *finally* have a bit of an understanding what in the world people are talking about. There's a lot of fancy coding things to learn if you want to eventually go in those directions, but you can do whole websites pretty much just using basic HTML. Sometimes less is more, you know?

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 06:10 AM »

I use a free program called kompozer.....gets my site up and running really easily....there is a lot of ability to the program that I do not use.....

Currently I am hosted by the gdaddy conglomerate but am thinking of changing....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
onlye

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 06:26 PM »

I use a free program called kompozer.....gets my site up and running really easily....there is a lot of ability to the program that I do not use.....

Currently I am hosted by the gdaddy conglomerate but am thinking of changing....

I have used Kompozer for a years.  Very simple and straight forward for doing a page or small site.  My wife and I have done several non-profit sites.  Back 8-9 years ago we started using MS Frontpage.  Was good for what we were doing.  Last year we switched to Xara Web Publisher.  Really like it.  This is the other extreme from Nancy's suggestion of an HTML editor and learning code.  It is a WYSIWYG program that is based on their graphic illustration software.  It is easy to use starting with one of the templates (or design from scratch) and terrific if you want to add a good bit of graphics to your site.  It makes doing cool things with images a breeze.  Here is one of the sites recently updated   www.mragardens.com  We just started on sites this weekend for a small church and a day care.  Have the basics already built and a couple hours more on each before we publish.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:32 PM by onlye » Logged

eric
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 07:40 AM »

Very nice site Eric. The kind of site that is a joy to visit. A navigation bar easily found on every page, slight variations of a single template and no overuse of different fonts. I was able to get in, find all the information I might be interested in & entertained with some nice photo's. I still prefer a simple well laid out site like that even though broadband finally made it out here.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum