GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 07:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Darn Post office  (Read 2370 times)
johnguz76
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: April 02, 2012, 05:57 PM »

Recieved my MOJO 9912 from Ken today.Dang the Post office had sent the box thru the ringer.It was heavily crushed and im going oh crap there is my UL straight to %$#@.Opening the box releif everything seems ok.I felt up and down each spreader each stick cant see any damage i flexed  each stick a bit to see if there might be some hairline cracks in the leading edges,spreaders and spine.Im not taking it completely apart.Everything seems good.Why why does the Post office treat pacakages like crap sometimes no wonder that they are in trouble.Guess ill have to go fly it to see if there is anything busted i cant see.Kite looks really nice thanks Ken.

"GIVE ALL EXPECT NOTHING"
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 01:57 AM »

The box on my 9912 had a huge gouge on the top third of the box. Like something heavy was dropped on it. A piece of packing tape was wrapped around the gouge.  The rest of the box, was beat up also. My postman commented, "That the person who packed it didn't do a very good job". So all damage caused to shipped items is because somebody didn't pack it well enough, not because some moron at the post office, dropped a heavy object on the box?

Unfortunately one of the spars on my kite, is broken.  Nothing like doing a repair on a new kite. (Sigh).

Jay
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:23 AM »

No damage so far...  but I have received tubes snapped in half.  In those cases, the only thing holding the two halves together was a small length of cellophane tape added after the fact.  Utterly amazed that that didn't result in broken spars or shredded sail.

ATB,
Sam
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:58 AM »

My 9912 box also arrived with a large dent in it.  Angry

Quicky, opened the box and assemble the kite

Relived to find nothing broken on a beautiful kite. Thanks Ken

This thread shows box damange on 3 of the 6 kites. Thanks 50%  Huh
Wonder if they we all damaged in the Ken's local post office when they were altogher.

MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:40 AM »

This thread shows box damange on 3 of the 6 kites. Thanks 50%  Huh
Wonder if they we all damaged in the Ken's local post office when they were altogher.

Mine arrived with the box in perfect shape. Ken's kites are always in perfect shape.   Wink

Thank you, sir, for another wonderful kite!

Bob
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 11:51 AM »

Wow not very good odds so far.  Huh

Perhaps this is a sign Ken should continue making kites?  Heh.  Wink
bt
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 01:14 PM »

My 9912 (#3) is en route....coming to Canada....
I`ll let y`all know when it arrives.....
bt
reddobie
Trade Count: (+32)

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 06:08 PM »

Number 5 arrived in Las Vegas, NV and in good shape.

Mark

Sent from my htc EVO using Tapatalk.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 05:23 PM »

It seems to depend on what hops the package takes.  EVERY one I have sent that goes through the mid west hub near Colorado has come through with major damage and in a few cases items missing.  Now anytime I send a kite I splatter the box with fragile, do not bend, do not crush, etc and have gotten in the habit of taking a pic of it at the time I ship it.  Every one so far that I have claimed damages on they deny saying its not packed right even though I use their guidelines.  Ups and fed ex need to get on the ball and make their rates better.
kitesyoyos
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 01:16 AM »

Received a kite box from the States in Australia, Thursday, it also had a bad fold in the middle of the box, kite survived though. : ) Is this a problem with the machines they use to sort mail, or bad 'human' practice. Seems to  be a theme running at present.
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 07:08 AM »

It seems to depend on what hops the package takes.  EVERY one I have sent that goes through the mid west hub near Colorado has come through with major damage and in a few cases items missing....

Not sure where this might be. All my mail goes through Denver, and out of all the triangle boxes I've shipped out or received in, only one or two had real damage and a few were bent but the kites were ok.

Maybe it's somewhere coming out of your area or to the east?

Bob
johnguz76
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 08:14 AM »

After flying the kite there is no hidden damage nothing broke.My box was heavily damaged could be from my local post office.Our local office is way way to small to handle the amount of mail it gets here.It was built in the 40s for a couple hundred customers now the city has 20k,and the post office has never been expanded.If you glance in the back there are packages stacked 6 high or more..

"GIVE ALL EXPECT NOTHING"
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 12:57 PM »

No hidden damage on my kite either. Flys like a dream.   Cool

20 plus kite and kite parts packages over 5 years. This is the first with and damage to the box. Doesn't look like the local post office for me. Bad image problem for USPS.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 01:14 PM »

Knocking on wood here...I have not had a destroyed package in a while....luckily the few packages that have been broken the kite inside was safe....a triangular USPS Priority box was received in Malaysia completely flattened but the kite was taped to one wall of the box so it was safe....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 10:36 AM »

I have  had a few close calls but I  have also found that Insurance seems to result in more careful handling. The insurance notice stuck onto the outside of the package seems to ring a bell. The insurance isn't significantly expensive.
Stoney
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document